MSI 3070 TI Ventus black screen issues

jtm94

I just picked this card up secondhand from someone local. As far as I can tell and have tested everything works perfectly except for a single annoying bug.... Approximately 6-10 minutes after I boot my machine from off my left monitor which is set as my main/primary monitor will go completely black for about 5 seconds.... and then come back on. When this happens nothing moves to my other monitor, nothing crashes, nothing closes, it will all reappear just as it was before it went black. This is fairly repeatable it does it nearly every single boot. I really don't want to RMA a brand new card I just got, I had NO issues with my setup prior to this install. My left monitor has always worked flawlessly for me at 240hz with my 5700 XT with freesync on. Please someone help me make sense of this. :(

Info:

Power supply is Seasonic Focus GX 750 80+ Gold

GPU is NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti VENTUS 3X OC 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0

Left monitor which goes black is ASUS TUF GAMING VG259QM (g-sync certified)

Right monitor is HP Omen 25in 1080p 144hz monitor (freesync compatible)

Things I've tried:
Before installing this card I ran DDU to uninstall my 5700 XT drivers

Tried running 2 dedicated PCI power cables to the card instead of using 1 cable + piggyback.

Both monitors are using displayport cables. I swapped which port each monitor is plugged into.

I changed which cables are running to both monitors still only the left monitor goes black.

I tried changing the RGB color space from limited to full and back, not change in black screen.

Just yesterday updated to the latest Game Ready Driver

Sounds like a Monitor issue rather then GPU issue. My 6 year old ACER XB270HU is dying, If i leave my computer on it is just fine and shows very little signs its dying, but if i turn off my computer and leave it off for a few hours, say when im sleeping  it will do very similar things to what your saying upon the computer being turned back on. Happens Every time within 30 minutes and then goes away after being warmed up and such

My monitor issue is quite common and well reported, so id first look there, see if others are showing similar symptoms. 

It's just very odd that this only happened after changing GPUs. There's been no signs of the monitor being an issue prior and that theory is inconsistent with the fact that the monitor does it even after being warmed up and used for hours as long as I fully power down the PC.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to attempt RMA for my GPU and will update with whether or not it works. I really don't know what else it could be.

On 10/27/2021 at 10:43 PM, Shimejii said:

Sounds like a Monitor issue rather then GPU issue. My 6 year old ACER XB270HU is dying, If i leave my computer on it is just fine and shows very little signs its dying, but if i turn off my computer and leave it off for a few hours, say when im sleeping  it will do very similar things to what your saying upon the computer being turned back on. Happens Every time within 30 minutes and then goes away after being warmed up and such

My monitor issue is quite common and well reported, so id first look there, see if others are showing similar symptoms. 

I dedicated a large chunk of time into troubleshooting this with another GPU and have determined it is actually the monitor, but nothing is broken. I guess there was an issue a while back where gsync monitors were going black when g-sync decided to turn on/off, and Nvidia fixed it, but then unfixed it. I was able to find people having the exact same issues I was having with my VG259QM and this explains why only this monitor does it no matter which cables I use or which GPU ports. The problem persisted on a 1050 TI and doesn't happen at all on AMD cards, the issue is something with how this monitor handles G-Sync.... So sadly there is no fix unless I disable it entirely.

2 hours ago, jtm94 said:

I dedicated a large chunk of time into troubleshooting this with another GPU and have determined it is actually the monitor, but nothing is broken. I guess there was an issue a while back where gsync monitors were going black when g-sync decided to turn on/off, and Nvidia fixed it, but then unfixed it. I was able to find people having the exact same issues I was having with my VG259QM and this explains why only this monitor does it no matter which cables I use or which GPU ports. The problem persisted on a 1050 TI and doesn't happen at all on AMD cards, the issue is something with how this monitor handles G-Sync.... So sadly there is no fix unless I disable it entirely.

i wasnt crazy ;D Glad you at least found the issue