Can't navigate around some quote blocks using the cursor

Browser, version and OS: Firefox 93 on Linux

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

Start a new reply by quoting someone else's post, so that the quote block is the first thing in the editor. Do not insert any additional text following the quote block. Try to insert some text prior to the quote block

What happened?

The cursor can't be moved prior to the first quote block using the arrow keys or home/end keys

What did you expect to happen?

For the cursor to move around in the editor freely, as though the editor worked right

Link to a page where it happened, if applicable: 

Screenshots of the issue, if applicable: 

Any other relevant details:

the workaround is adding text after the initially inserted quote block, then finding the little anchor thing to click on in order to move the quote block past the text

but like

why

why are you forcing us to use a WYSIWYG editor? I can't believe you've done this

If it's a cloudflare error, what was the ray ID from the bottom of the error page?

4 minutes ago, finest feck fips said:

Start a new reply by quoting someone else's post, so that the quote block is the first thing in the editor. Do not insert any additional text following the quote block. Try to insert some text prior to the quote block

At the top left of the quote block you should be able to click and drag the quote box to where you want it.

image.png

Does that option not appear for you when you hover your mouse over the top left corner?

If the quote block is the first thing in the post, to add text above it move the quote box down first and then you can place your cursor above it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

At the top left of the quote block you should be able to click and drag the quote box to where you want it.

image.png

Does that option not appear for you when you hover your mouse over the top left corner?

It does! But that's a workaround for the cursor not doing what a cursor should do, not a fix for the cursor not doing what a cursor should do

1 hour ago, finest feck fips said:

It does! But that's a workaround for the cursor not doing what a cursor should do, not a fix for the cursor not doing what a cursor should do

Well, no. Thats how this forum software works, and is supposed to work. There are only workarounds. Quote box is not such element as picture in text editor would be. Same goes with thread previews, code blocks, spoilers etc. You can blame forums software devs for that.

Besides that workaround already given, there are couple others. Sadly, they both require you to use mouse. Trust me, we have complaint about how things work on mobile since this version of the software was launched, and devs are uninterested of fixing it.

One is to first write something, then go back and quote. That will insert quote in place where your cursor is. The other is to add linebreak before quoted text starts. Then move cursor to empty line and add another linebreak. That splits quote. Then you need to remove empty part.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Thats how this forum software works[.] [...] You can blame forums software devs for that.

I thought this subforum was for reporting bugs. Bugs are things that software devs are responsible for, so this should be an appropriate place to report things I ought to blame software devs for, right?

Anyway thank you for your patience and also for informing me of the other two workarounds, which I think will sometimes be better for me. Since you encouraged me to look upstream, I tracked down two upstream bugs in the rich text editor that Invision Community uses, CKEditor, which seem to describe this problem.

The issues have not been closed by the developer, but it also seems like they might not have resources to prioritize them. Here's the bug for CKEditor 4, which is currently used by Invision, and here's the bug for CKEditor 5, which is not yet in Invision but might be on the roadmap, depending on what the Invision developers choose to do for their next version.

Figured that stuff might be useful if LMG has a support wishlist or the resources for bug bounties or something like that. If not, no big deal. Thank you for your time. 🙂

7 minutes ago, finest feck fips said:

I thought this subforum was for reporting bugs. Bugs are things that software devs are responsible for, so this should be an appropriate place to report things I ought to blame software devs for, right?

Yes, this is correct place. While this is, as you note also below, premade software, our dev(s) can't really do that much. The bugs, if they are such, can be reported upstream and then hope for the best...

7 minutes ago, finest feck fips said:

Figured that stuff might be useful if LMG has a support wishlist or the resources for bug bounties or something like that. If not, no big deal. Thank you for your time. 🙂

LMG pays for this forum to stay online. Thats about it for their support/reach. And because of constant nagging by Mortis, this community is not very favorable in the eyes of IPS devs. This editor, and discontinuing BBCode support is one example of that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

27 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

because of constant nagging by Mortis, this community is not very favorable in the eyes of IPS devs. This editor, and discontinuing BBCode support is one example of that.

Sucks to have customers, I guess. 😉

I made a request related to this issue, and tried to include documentation of possible upgrade paths in case there ever comes a time when it might be up for consideration. Since it's kind of similar to the old ‘we want BBCode’ gripe, I understand it may not be something you feel positioned to address at this time. Please lock it preemptively, if you think it's likely to invite a pile-on.

Similarly, I consider this issue as resolved as it can be given the constraints you're currently working under. Feel free to consider it resolved and lock it as well.

Thanks, guys!