Air cooling vs AIO for Ryzen 5 5600x

Hey everyone,

So i've recently built a pc with a ryzen 5 5600X currently i'm using the stock cooler but i'm planning on changing the stock wraith stealth cooler to get better temps.

I'm trying to decide if i should go for an air vs liquid cooler. I wanted to know if the drop in temperature justifies the price of going from a budget ish air cooler to a 240 mm aio. 

I'm currently living in egypt so i'll share some options available to me and their prices. 
So for air cooling i was considering something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo ARGB which costs 1290 egp which is equivalent to 82.13$
If i go for an aio i would consider the lian li galahad 240mm or the cooler master ml240 illusion which both cost around 140$ on average where i live. 

I wanted to know if the price increase from air to liquid is worth it for the extra cooling or not, and if possible what kind of cooling performance would i be expecting form both.

I use the box cooler and I've never seen my CPU go above 75C. If you go AIO for a 65W part, you're doing it for looks IMO. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

Holy crap that is expensive for a Hyper 212. That cooler is barely worth $30, let alone $80. 

That said, the Hyper 212 is enough for the 5600X. I don't really recommend AIOs, since a good air cooler will usually perform equally for the same price or sometimes less, and you won't have the reliability issues that come from having an AIO (more things to die, the possibility for leaks, etc.). Check out some other coolers to see what can be had for a lot less. The Vetroo V5 is usually very cheap for the performance it has, though look to see what other tower coolers are available around you around the $30-50 range, or whatever that is in egp. 

1 hour ago, spiritshifter said:

Hey everyone,

So i've recently built a pc with a ryzen 5 5600X currently i'm using the stock cooler but i'm planning on changing the stock wraith stealth cooler to get better temps.

I'm trying to decide if i should go for an air vs liquid cooler. I wanted to know if the drop in temperature justifies the price of going from a budget ish air cooler to a 240 mm aio. 

I'm currently living in egypt so i'll share some options available to me and their prices. 
So for air cooling i was considering something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo ARGB which costs 1290 egp which is equivalent to 82.13$
If i go for an aio i would consider the lian li galahad 240mm or the cooler master ml240 illusion which both cost around 140$ on average where i live. 

I wanted to know if the price increase from air to liquid is worth it for the extra cooling or not, and if possible what kind of cooling performance would i be expecting form both.

So I just built my first pc and I got this absolutely amazing air cooler I will give you details on how good it is. The cooler is the noctua nhu12s redux (I also bought the additional fan kit) so this cooler is AMAZING! I have my 5600x at 4.6ghz at 100% utilization in blender and it runs at 50c!

5 hours ago, spiritshifter said:

Hey everyone,

I think you should also take a look at the following air cooler:

Vetroo V5 from Amazon

Arctic Freezer e34 e sports

be quiet pure rock black (non black if you don't care about looks)

scythe fuma 2 or almost any other scythe cooler, they're quite cheap

Don't go for an AIO, even in egypt, it just isn't worth it for the 5600X. My Ryzen 7 1800X had an Arctic freezer and never got above 80° C.

Most 120mm tower style air-coolers go for about 30-60 USD and they are a good upgrade to a stock AMD cooler and should be a good fit for 5600x

$82 for a "Hyper 212 LED Turbo ARGB" seems extremely high. 

BQ Pure Rock 2

Vetroo V5

Noctua U12S Redux 

Arctic Freezer 34

Deepcool GAMMAXX 400

You can basically buy any 120mm tower cooler and it will be a good upgrade to your stock cooler. 

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

12 hours ago, Parzival120 said:

So I just built my first pc and I got this absolutely amazing air cooler I will give you details on how good it is. The cooler is the noctua nhu12s redux (I also bought the additional fan kit) so this cooler is AMAZING! I have my 5600x at 4.6ghz at 100% utilization in blender and it runs at 50c!

And i thought those redux coolers were useless

well if you wanna go for more than 8 cores in the future itll def struggle tho so i think a regular u12/14s would be prefferable cause futureproofing (aircoolers last forever as long as the fans are swapped when they die)