I would like some opinions on what I plan on buying for my first build

AndiousTC

Budget (including currency): HKD 22,000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Apex Legends, Minecraft, Naraka: Bladepoint, League of Legends, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Blender

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I'm still trying to pick a keyboard and a monitor

Hi, I have never built a pc before, but I have watched some pc building videos here and there on youtube (only a few though), which got me interested. And since my laptop is starting to run into problems, I'd like to try building a pc. Here's what I'm planning on putting together, I don't know if it's balanced or not and if the components are compatible with each other, so any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated!

Also because I'm not using PCPartPicker, I'll list the prices next to the components to let you see if I'm overspending on any parts

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($2350)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING ATX ($2499)

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3600 MHZ 16GB (8GB x 2) x2 ($760x2 = 1520)

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 3060 OC V2 12GB (LHR) ($5499)

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB ($980)

PSU: ASUS ROG Thor 850w ($1620)

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 360mm ($1499)

Case Fans: Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB ELITE Performance 120mm PWM - Fan Triple Pack ($569)

Case: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Tempered Glass ATX Case ($1419)

Total: $18554

There are a couple things.

1.) You don't need an X570 motherboard for this system, the MSI B550 Tomahawk is more than enough motherboard and should save you a bit of cash. If you really want a Strix board, you can get the Strix B550-F.

2.) What is the latency on the RAM? That has as much to do with performance as the frequency. Ideally you want 3600MHz CL16.

3.) Swap the SSD out for the WD SN750, it's usually cheaper for the same performance. If the Samsung drive is cheaper, go with that one, but you might as well save some money.

4.) You don't need that level of PSU for a 3060. If you want to upgrade to something like a 3080 in the future, sure get it, but if you don't plan on ever upgrading this system you might as well drop down to a good 650w.

5.) You don't need an AIO for that system, they are almost always overprices for what you get, especially that one since Corsair charges a premium for their RGB stuff. Swap it out for a good air cooler like the Sythe Fuma II and performance should be pretty similar.

6.) Swap out the case for the airflow edition 5000D. It looks very similar, but overall performance of the system will be better because there's more airflow and therefore cooler temperatures. 

Your system will function right now, but those things above will save you money without giving up any performance, possibly allowing you to upgrade to a 3060 Ti instead of the 3060.

28 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What is the latency on the RAM? That has as much to do with performance as the frequency. Ideally you want 3600MHz CL16.

The latency on the RAM is listed as 3600MHz CL18 so it's not CL16, how much worse is CL18 compared to CL16?

Also, I want to thank you for giving me such an informative feedback on my post! I really appreciate it

1 hour ago, AndiousTC said:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING ATX ($2499)

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3600 MHZ 16GB (8GB x 2) x2 ($760x2 = 1520)

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB ($980)

PSU: ASUS ROG Thor 850w ($1620)

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 360mm ($1499)

Case Fans: Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB ELITE Performance 120mm PWM - Fan Triple Pack ($569)

Case: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Tempered Glass ATX Case ($1419)

Trash

X570 is uneccesary, a cheap b550 like the gaming x (v2) or b550a pro will suffice

Tridentz is not optimized for amd, tridentz neo is, although dont bother since they are overclocking rams, waste of moeny if you dont overclock them, go for a 3200mhz cl16 kit instead and overclock to 3600mhz

970 evo is obselete and overpriced, go for a kingston a2000, crucial p5, or silicon power a80 ssd

Rog psus are just an overpriced seasonic rebrand, go for a cheaper 850w psu like msi mpg, revolution df, maybe even some of the corsair psus like the rm(x)

Aio is completely uneccesary unless you wanna do some heavy overclocking, a cheap 4 heatpipe tower cooler will suffice

Corsair fans are overpriced garbage, they will get smushed by a cheap arctic p12 fan, go for a cheaper fan like fsk or p12 argb

Corsair x cases arent mesh so eh airflow, get the airflow version or get a cheaper case like the p500/400a

You can prob get a 3070(ti) and/or 5800x now that the overpriced trash is gone

1 minute ago, AndiousTC said:

The latency on the RAM is listed as 3600MHz CL18 so it's not CL16, how much worse is CL18 compared to CL16?

About 5% depending on the workload. Usually the price difference between them isn't more than 5% of the whole system, so it's usually worth it for the extra performance.

13 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

You can prob get a 3070(ti) and/or 5800x now that the overpriced trash is gone

I also felt like I picked a lot of overpriced parts, but they were components that a lot of pc building channels talked about, so I thought if so many these big tech channels are using them in builds, they must be good. Thank you for letting me know that those aren't necessary, I did multiple changes like you suggested and the price went down by a lot

58 minutes ago, AndiousTC said:

I also felt like I picked a lot of overpriced parts, but they were components that a lot of pc building channels talked about, so I thought if so many these big tech channels are using them in builds, they must be good. Thank you for letting me know that those aren't necessary, I did multiple changes like you suggested and the price went down by a lot

Meh alot of pc building channels dont really give a crap about price to performance so they end up putting uneccesary or outright garbage on their builds, seriously ive seen morons use an 8 core cpu and a not top of the line gpu like a 3080 on a 3500$ build, bloody hell if you dont need more than 8 cores or a high end gpu then dont bother spending extra money on trashy overpriced rgb fans that will still get smushed by any arctic or noctua fan or uneccesary amounts of cooling like an overkill aio or something, sure itll make sense for silence but when you are using an efficient cpu like a 5800x no more than 280 is needed not to mention overpriced ram, psu, case, etc. And not the f ing important specs that make your pc go vroom vroom

Seriously corsair is overpriced and there are tons of youtubers that use those on 2k$+ builds, only things that can have a good price are their cases and psus (great quality ngl) though the rest of their stuff like fans and hubs they are just overpriced trash, even a cheap arctic p12 will smush most if not all their fans, btw artic p12 has similar performance to those noctua fans but at 1/3-1/4 the price so thats why i reccomend them, even has an argb version which is still cheaper than the corsair crap and blows it out of the water

If you cant tell already i have a burning hatred for overpriced and/or uneccesary crap xD