Do I need a CPU fan if I have a bunch of case fans?

Joe London

It’s all in the title really. I’ve got a cpu to cool and I’ve got a cpu cooler, but the fan that attaches to the cpu cooler interferes with some cables. Can I get away with just my case fans? 

Cpu in question is an i56600k

Not really, the amount of efficiency loss between the front fans blowing on a heat sink and a fan directly mounted to the heat sink is significant. If I was you I would figure out a work around based on still mounting a fan to the heatsink

in theory.... it is possible to get your case fan airflow to cool the CPU heatsink.  But in reality, it is a really terrible idea.  I would say you are better off getting whatever cable extenders are needed to move those cables.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

If it's a tower style cooler, it might be possible to mount the CPU fan on the back side and use it to pull air through the cooler instead of pushing air through the front.  That is of course if there's room in the case for it. But definitely try to find a way to mount a fan on the cooler.

Are you sure the cables can't be oriented differently so it fits? System specs? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It depends on the CPU, and the cooler.. but yes it can be done.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14