what are your views on removing the IHS on a cpu?

just wanted to know what people think about removing the IHS on the cpu to improve temps is it worth it?

I personally don't think it's worth it. It's extra risky work and obviously voids your warranty. Why bother. Just get a better case and/or CPU cooler.

The Ivy bridge has problems with the thermal paste that they used under the heat spreader. So i know of some Japanese article that replaced it with some really high quality grease and it helped a lot. So could you do it? Sure. But is it worth it? I would say by no means at all what so ever. Invest in a good CPU cooler like mnm0710 said. Better then spending that same money on a few CPUs to try it on.

But read the article its pretty interesting. Make sure you have Google translate working. It is in Japanese.

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/sebuncha/20120511_532119.html

You could do it if you wanted the best absolute thermal performance.

I personally would just wait 2 years or whatever it is until your warranty expires, then do it. Then if you fail...time for a new CPU! lol Plenty of people have and with good success with getting the temps down.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

Delidding (removing the IHS) can dramatically improve your temps, but it is a relatively high-risk step to take.

Keep in mind that SB IHS' are soldered on and cannot be removed, whereas IB CPUs use (low-quality) thermal paste, and can be removed.

Regarding the article above (removing the IHS, then replacing the thermal paste) - you may as well just keep the IHS off and attach your cooler straight to the die - that's where the dramatic temps improvement will come from.

The Ivy bridge has problems with the thermal paste that they used under the heat spreader. So i know of some Japanese article that replaced it with some really high quality grease and it helped a lot. So could you do it? Sure. But is it worth it? I would say by no means at all what so ever. Invest in a good CPU cooler like mnm0710 said. Better then spending that same money on a few CPUs to try it on. But read the article its pretty interesting. Make sure you have Google translate working. It is in Japanese. http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/sebuncha/20120511_532119.html

Actually, this is wrong, the type of thermal paste actually made very little difference, it is actually the amount of thermal paste which was causing problems, there were some people who found that delidding did very little to their temps and the also said that the had less thermal paste to clean up when they delidded.

The Ivy bridge has problems with the thermal paste that they used under the heat spreader. So i know of some Japanese article that replaced it with some really high quality grease and it helped a lot. So could you do it? Sure. But is it worth it? I would say by no means at all what so ever. Invest in a good CPU cooler like mnm0710 said. Better then spending that same money on a few CPUs to try it on. But read the article its pretty interesting. Make sure you have Google translate working. It is in Japanese. http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/sebuncha/20120511_532119.html

Actually, this is wrong, the type of thermal paste actually made very little difference, it is actually the amount of thermal paste which was causing problems, there were some people who found that delidding did very little to their temps and the also said that the had less thermal paste to clean up when they delidded.

Very interesting. I was under the impression that it was because they went with a thermal and not a fluxless solder. (Or that was according to tomshardware.com)

If you have any more articles about this i would love to read them. It was because of this issue i really decided to skip the ivy bridge and wait to upgrade.

it isnt as good as before, thats true but it still helps to remove the IHS completely.

although, this is dangerous, and je need to put a torch against your cpu, good luck :P

Its not worth the hassle but it will benefit if you are a enthousiast.

sidenote: i believe we have already covered this in another topic.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

I would do it if I had an array of at least 10 replacements because I think I'd kill nine of them before I got it right. And if I can get a stable 5.0 out of a de lidded 3570k and I could replace it, I'd do it for sure

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

I was considering doing it until I saw a thread from another forum with plenty of people who ruined their 3770ks in the process. I personally do not think it's worth the risk. I've seen other people lap(sand) their cpu until it's all the way down to the die. This is a lot safer because the main danger in deliding the cpu is scraping into the PCB.

Here is a screenshot of it

http://gyazo.com/53d87e6eb7b3450323be5bf54258c53c

That said, I probably wouldn't really consider this either, unless you're temps are just completely awful (100C+ on decent cooling and low overclock) and you have money to lose.

this post was for a friend who is getting a 3570 soon and plans to overclock it to 4.5ghz upwards and ive been reading up about its heat issues due to intel using crappy thermal past between the die and HS instead of solder so was looking at things people do to reduce temps dramatically think just lapping the HS is the safest option thanks guys :)

this post was for a friend who is getting a 3570 soon and plans to overclock it to 4.5ghz upwards and ive been reading up about its heat issues due to intel using crappy thermal past between the die and HS instead of solder so was looking at things people do to reduce temps dramatically think just lapping the HS is the safest option thanks guys :)
3570K sorry guys

I wouldn't really buy a CPU with a set clock speed in mind. That said, it is possible you will be able to get an overclock like that without lapping, I'd avoid it because lapping does still void the warranty.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34053183&postcount=570

A very well presented post here, although there are other posts where people were able to infer that this was the case as some people use too much TIM and actually worse results

Assuming you have one that is easily removable (ie Ivy Bridge)... I don't see why not if you plan on going for very high overclocks. If you are concerned about damaging it and the cost of a replacement then don't bother.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Read my post above and this http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34053183&postcount=570

It is not the thermal paste but the amount, the thermal paste should not make a difference of 20-30C

Lapping is probably more risky than delidding due to the risk of static shock.

But I guess it's all up to you & your friend.

It can be worth it, especially when you see how much temps can drop.

Thanks for the post. That is pretty interesting. I just wish i had a ivy to play around with now.

Lose the IHS and put the water block right on the die. Intel should of just sold the chip w/o the IHS if they wanted to cut production costs so badly.

This guy goes at a 3570k. Much better temps afterwards and fairly straight forward diy. screw the warranty! do it!

on a side note I would use something like rtv to remount instead of leaving it loose like in the video.