is safe to have dyndns or noip set up at home ? 

em_lab
Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,
Just now, em_lab said:

i also can chage those ports in every pc so it will never be the same or the standard port number.. it is safe like this ?

Not really, no. As the saying goes, security by obscurity is not security. You need encryption (e.g. TLS or VPN) to make remote management as safe as possible. Changing ports will keep out the random passer by, but bots that are scanning IPs and ports will find and attempt to exploit open ports sooner or later.

hi i would no ask if it is safe to have dyndns or noip set up at home ? 

i would like to have a service like nomachine (free) so i can take over on my desktop from outside home

and for that i need to enable dyndns or noip

Thanks

4 minutes ago, em_lab said:

hi i would no ask if it is safe to have dyndns or noip set up at home?

Having a host name point at your home IP address is no more unsafe than connecting a PC to the internet to begin with.

Opening ports to allow remote management is far more dangerous. It does give remote access, so encryption, strong passwords or better yet certificates/private keys are basically a must.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

no problem

certainly i need to open some ports

i also can chage those ports in every pc so it will never be the same or the standard port number..

it is safe like this ?

what else can i do ?

Just now, em_lab said:

i also can chage those ports in every pc so it will never be the same or the standard port number.. it is safe like this ?

Not really, no. As the saying goes, security by obscurity is not security. You need encryption (e.g. TLS or VPN) to make remote management as safe as possible. Changing ports will keep out the random passer by, but bots that are scanning IPs and ports will find and attempt to exploit open ports sooner or later.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Thanks a lot