Samsung Tab A 7 2016 double tap to wake up

frozensun

Hi friends.

Got myself Tab A 7 2016 edition running very old Android 5.0

Is it possible somehow to enable double tap to wake up screen because I got used to it on my S5e?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

That function usually baked at the root level, it can be enabled, but you first you need to root the device and install an app for it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

6 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

That function usually baked at the root level, it can be enabled, but you first you need to root the device and install an app for it.

Nothing that I wouldn't know about it...

so the problem is old android version,correct?

It's not built into Lolipop?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

If you are willing to root your device you, if your kernel supports it (of if you flash one), you can enable the double tap to wake using any simple and free kernel manager.

The key tho is to have root access and have the feature supported in the kernel you're using.

Before I start writing a guide and all, you should know its gonna void your warranty (probably dead already), you will lose all data on the device as you gotta do a full wipe, prevents you from receiving OTA updates and there is a chance you can brick your device if you don't know what you're doing, lastly! it depends on the exact model you are have; you can find it in your settings, it should be something like SM-XXXX or GT-XXXX.

Again, even with all of that it pretty much comes down to the kernel you have on the device, if it does support that feature you will need to do lots of digging in order to enable it, its not impossible its just lots of work!

1 minute ago, OSBK said:

If you are willing to root your device you, if your kernel supports it (of if you flash one), you can enable the double tap to wake using any simple and free kernel manager.

The key tho is to have root access and have the feature supported in the kernel you're using.

Before I start writing a guide and all, you should know its gonna void your warranty (probably dead already), you will lose all data on the device as you gotta do a full wipe, prevents you from receiving OTA updates and there is a chance you can brick your device if you don't know what you're doing, lastly! it depends on the exact model you are have; you can find it in your settings, it should be something like SM-XXXX or GT-XXXX.

Again, even with all of that it pretty much comes down to the kernel you have on the device, if it does support that feature you will need to do lots of digging in order to enable it, its not impossible its just lots of work!

Wouldn't risk it until it's under warranty,but will do later...any custom ROMS for it to enable that feature?

Lineage supports this, and I believe there are builds for the Tab A?

I believe this is the correct XDA section?

Just make sure you find a copy of your current firmware before you do anything so you can always go back if you want. 

I know your Tab S5e does, that's my current daily driver tablet, and the reason I bought it (it has official LOS support).

2 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Lineage supports this, and I believe there are builds for the Tab A?

I believe this is the correct XDA section?

Just make sure you find a copy of your current firmware before you do anything so you can always go back if you want. 

I know your Tab S5e does, that's my current daily driver tablet, and the reason I bought it (it has official LOS support).

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-sm-t580-sm-t585-unofficial-lineageos-16-for-galaxy-tab-a-2016.4083157/

This one?

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

Wouldn't risk it until it's under warranty,but will do later...any custom ROMS for it to enable that feature?

I recommend you start with Resurrection Remix, AOSP Extended, HavocOS or Paranoid Project, these usually have tons and tons of customization options and they do work well with other kernels too! so there is a high chance you'll have the double-tap to wake.

Again, it really depends on your exact device/model so XDA is where you wanna look!

5 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Nothing that I wouldn't know about it...

so the problem is old android version,correct?

It's not built into Lolipop?

No, it's not about the android version, i had a LG G3 that has that function way back.

It's just samsung decided not to include it in that tablet. (since in that era, it used to be an LG thing).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Tried to find how Lineage OS on this tablet looks like.

Any help?

Couldn't find yt vids about it.

I'll take my chance with it...also the capacitve side button has an issue.

Does Lineage OS adds support to software capacitive buttons?

18 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I'll take my chance with it...also the capacitve side button has an issue.

Does Lineage OS adds support to software capacitive buttons?

You mean home, back, recent those buttons? Yes all my tablets / phones have those on Lineage. You can customize what they do if you want as well. 

Just note with a "budget" tablet there are some trade offs, going all the way to Android 11 it may not be quite as snappy as it is now. Of course that being said custom ROMs tend to be a bit leaner so than OEM software so it could be better? I have Tab S2s still in use on Android 10 (Lineage 17.1) that run great,  I have 2013 Nexus 7s on Android 11 (Lineage 18.1) that run ok.

That's also why I mentioned finding the factory firmware as a backup. You can always use Odin to go back to factory if you don't like it.

Here is a random image I found from one of my write-ups quickly, showing the software buttons at the bottom, LOS 16-18 all have pretty much the same buttons on all my devices (as mentioned you can customize them, I just keep those three):

spacer.png

26 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

You mean home, back, recent those buttons? Yes all my tablets / phones have those on Lineage. You can customize what they do if you want as well. 

Just note with a "budget" tablet there are some trade offs, going all the way to Android 11 it may not be quite as snappy as it is now. Of course that being said custom ROMs tend to be a bit leaner so than OEM software so it could be better? I have Tab S2s still in use on Android 10 (Lineage 17.1) that run great,  I have 2013 Nexus 7s on Android 11 (Lineage 18.1) that run ok.

That's also why I mentioned finding the factory firmware as a backup. You can always use Odin to go back to factory if you don't like it.

Oh okay.

Don't think I could find one since it's an old tablet,I'lm not good with flashing phones,tablets,etc.

Not my hobby at spare time lol.

Can I backup current firmware/software version with some app and then flash LineOS?

I don't need some mumbo jumbo high android version since it's really low spec HW.

I need what I mentioned in thread.software capacitive left button and tap to wake and maybe some other issues like power saving battery,I mean stuff that would help to work better with the tablet.

I remember I flashed once Resurrection ROM REmix on my good old Note 3.

That was hell of a good ROM.

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

Can I backup current firmware/software version with some app and then flash LineOS?

Not fully. 

I would suggest first trying, Frija It's a good tool to find and download Samsung firmware. I've used it before.

Second SamMobile, you'll have to create an account to download anything at this point (they started this a few years back), but I've also used them many times. No issues. 

Basically it's always nice to have a backup plan, and a way to potentially unbrick the device if something goes wrong.

I'm seeing that the version of LIneage OS is for SM-T585 but I'm having version T-285 which is 7" tablet.

It's not for my model,at least from the link given.

Is this a version for my tabllet model?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-unofficial-n-14-1-sm-t285-lineageos-for-samsung-galaxy-tab-a-7-0-lte-gtexslte.4290531/