External drive that only works with adapter USB-A to USB-C??

tomasltt

Hello!

I have a SeaGate Backup Plus Hub 8TB external hard drive. I think at the beginning it used to work fine with the micro-B to USB-A cable. Currently, neither OS X nor Windows pick the drive up (Disk Utility / Disk Management respectively) although it appears on System Information (I don't know the Windows equivalent)

I've tried formatting APFS, exFAT, MS-DOS. They all end up with the same behavior:

- If I connect drive » micro type-B to usb-A cable » usb-A cable to usb-c cable (hub or not) » usb-c port » sparks joy :)

- If I connect drive » micro type-B to usb-A cable » usb-A port » does not spark joy :(

I have no idea what went wrong, and as it seems a software issue (all diagnostics pass when using an adapter) I would like to prevent opening it and using the disk in a different way, since chances are (according to ifixit guide) that I won't be able to open it without breaking the hinges.

I've tried an iMac, a macbook M1, and a windows PC, and they all observe the same behavior.

Ideas?

90% sure its the external case.
Take it out, connect it and the drive itself will most likely work perfectly fine.

I dont know how manufacturers do it but external HDD cases are absolutely dogshite hardware.
Sorry for my language, but i tried to keep it nice.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

I totally hear you both. I do agree that HDD cases suck, which is why I have other tools. Sadly this is my wife's disk. I guess I'll inherit it and buy her a new one. Thanks ❤️