Malware distributor bought up Private Internet Access and ExpressVPN

Dhalucario

Summary

Kape (formerly Crossrider) was a distributor of bundle installers containing malware.
They bought up several VPN providers (CyberGhost VPN, Zenmate VPN, Private Internet Access and ExpressVPN) and VPN review websites.

Quotes

Kape Technologies, a former malware distributor that operates in Israel, has now acquired four different VPN services and a collection of VPN “review” websites that rank Kape’s VPN holdings at the top of their recommendations. This report examines the controversial history of Kape Technologies and its rapid expansion into the VPN industry.

Before 2018, Kape Technologies was called Crossrider and it was an infamous player in the malware industry. You can still find numerous articles about Crossrider’s malware and adware infecting various devices.

My thoughts

This is quite worrying to me since LTT mentions multiple of these advertisers as sponsors of older videos. In the worst case this could lead watchers into buying something that's hella untrustworthy.
I have full trust in you guys know how to handle this situation properly.

Sources
https://restoreprivacy.com/kape-technologies-owns-expressvpn-cyberghost-pia-zenmate-vpn-review-sites/

https://www.reuters.com/technology/kape-technologies-buys-expressvpn-936-mln-2021-09-13/
https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/what-is-kape-technologies-what-you-need-to-know-about-the-parent-company-of-cyberghost-vpn/

Formerly is the big keyword here. If they start doing bad things, then call them out on it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Formerly is the big keyword here. If they start doing bad things, then call them out on it. 

I agree with that statement, but I kinda have a hard time believing that big companies have a change of heart very often.

Thread locked. Cyberghost and Zenmate were 3-4 years ago, Private Internet Access was 2 years ago and was discussed in great detail here on the forum, and ExpressVPN was a month ago and was also already discussed at the time.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450