SSD SATA Data cable melt/burnt

Go to solution Solved by MasJoy,
6 hours ago, Kilrah said:

I'm not talking of the new PSU. 

When trying to make your PC run when it failed, were you using PSU cables that didn't belong to the PSU that was installed? Because that can cause havoc like this.

Yes I got what you mean, sorry I didn't write enough info. What I meant was the new cable to arrive XD. Aaaand, yes, I didn't use the original cable from the PSU manufacturer, I had no idea it would cause havoc like this.

But since I got a new cable, it solved the problem! My old HDD is showing up on BIOS, unfortunately for me the SSD is definitely wrekt, it didn't show on the BIOS. Read in some thread that its no hope for the SSD and the cost to recover the data was very high. Learned my lessons. Thanks for the advice, mate!

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 20.46.36.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 20.46.36 (1).jpeg

Hi, everyone.

I need your virtues in troubleshooting some hardware issue.

TLDR:

1. I built a new PC outside of the case, I can get into BIOS (w/o any storage) just to check some stuff.
  2. Turned off the PC, then connected a Samsung SSD (the one used in my old PC)
  3. Turned on the PC, SATA data cable connected to my SSD hissed and burnt out (only the cable was damaged and whole length really hot). Turned off the PC immediately.
  4. Turned on w/o SSD > BIOS stated the rest of my component was fine (thank God!). Tried 2 other SATA data cables same result.
  5. Tried plugging old WD HDD with SATA, PC won't turned on. Just flashed all LED with noticeable 'click' sound but nada.
  6. Unplugged HDD, now can't use the new PC.

Anyone might have experienced this issue? Please help me out if you have any insight on the issue.

• I tried paperclipping the PSU and it worked just fine. I used the PSU until last night with my old PC and worked well.
  • Mobo has no visible faulty nor has any burnt mark anywhere.
  • Everything was fine except when the SSD I tried to connect using SATA cable.
  • Should I buy M.2 NVME storage and try it out? I'd like to save as much money as possible, not knowing what would be the result with the M.2 storage.
  • Should I buy new PSU? In case its something wrong the the voltage or something.
  • Is my Samsung SSD can still be used? All the gold pins looked fine, I haven't tried reinstalling it back to my old PC.

Thank you everyone, really appreciate any respond, I need the discussion.

My system component:
CPU Ryzen 5 5600X
Mobo MSI B550m Pro
PSU Corsair CS750M (this one from my old PC, its 7,5 years old now)
Memory Klevv 2x8gb 3200mhz
GPU Zotac 1660Super

Have you used PSU cables that didn't come with it?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

26 minutes ago, MasJoy said:

Turned on the PC, SATA data cable connected to my SSD hissed and burnt out (only the cable was damaged and whole length really hot). Turned off the PC immediately.

Was there physical damage to the cable (burn marks)? Could you post a picture of it?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

13 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Have you used PSU cables that didn't come with it?

I haven't still waiting for it to arrive, will update later. Thank you

13 hours ago, Spotty said:

Was there physical damage to the cable (burn marks)? Could you post a picture of it?

Yes, even fire came out on the first cable because I was late to realized and not turned the PC immediately (due to panic). Sadly I threw those burnt cables out already.

3 hours ago, MasJoy said:

I haven't still waiting for it to arrive, will update later. Thank you

When trying to make your PC run when it failed, were you using PSU cables that didn't belong to the PSU that was installed? Because that can cause havoc like this.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

6 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Yes I got what you mean, sorry I didn't write enough info. What I meant was the new cable to arrive XD. Aaaand, yes, I didn't use the original cable from the PSU manufacturer, I had no idea it would cause havoc like this.

But since I got a new cable, it solved the problem! My old HDD is showing up on BIOS, unfortunately for me the SSD is definitely wrekt, it didn't show on the BIOS. Read in some thread that its no hope for the SSD and the cost to recover the data was very high. Learned my lessons. Thanks for the advice, mate!

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 20.46.36.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-18 at 20.46.36 (1).jpeg

Yep cables are specific to each brand or even model, never mix them up as the wiring on PSU side can differ.

F@H

GPD Win 2