Galaxy S8 connected to Windows 10, pictures folder shows as a music album, can't change it?

Bitter
Go to solution Solved by emosun,

An easy solution would be to just copy the entire file system to the pc and sort it that way . Just leave it overnight and by the morning itll be copied over

So I'm trying to go through my phone to reclaim some space from my pictures and videos and I'm running into an annoying problem. 2 of them actually!

1stly, when I navigate to the camera folder on the phone it shows it as a music album and I can't seem to change it to a general items folder layout. This makes sorting things by date a bit of a pain since every time I open it again I have to re-set the way it displays things and it hangs for a minute trying to thumbnail everything. How do I change this so it shows the phone internal folders as general items and not music?

2ndly, when I try to open pictures directly from the camera folder on the phone on my PC I get a long pause where it says "Sorry, Photos can't open this file because the format is currently unsupported or the file is corrupted". If I copy the file to my PC it opens instantly without problem. I'm connected via a high quality USB C cable directly the back of the motherboard on a known good port (benchmarks in the hundreds of MB/S with a fast thumb drive). This seems like a widespread known issue with USB over MTP and probably isn't getting fixed so I guess disregard problem 2.

An easy solution would be to just copy the entire file system to the pc and sort it that way . Just leave it overnight and by the morning itll be copied over

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yeah. That would work but how could I live without my phone for that long?!? LOL! I had thought of that as my last resort and it's probably the simplest way to do this. 8.1GB of stuff!

That would also let me organize some into the SD card off the phone. I freed up 1GB from the phone itself already. I swore I had this thing set up to put pictures and videos ON THE DANG SD CARD but whatever.

42 minutes ago, emosun said:

Minor issue, that's gonna bone up the date that the gallery app uses to order the files in. I figured out my no thumbnail issue so I can just delete them from the phone though. Your solution got me digging into the folder view options a little deeper and wha-bam there it was. I had somehow set it to only show icons and not show thumbnails!