How to fix a possibly bad factory OC GPU

Zimlichg

I have a gigabyte 2080 super and was having gpu issues and I am pretty certain I need to lower the clock speeds of it. Using MSI after burner it says that it runs at 1650 Mhz which is base for the card I have. When playing most games and specifically the GPU stresser I was using to test the GPU crashes when it hits around 1600 MhZ on 1920x1440 185 hz. Since the base speed is 1650 I have to use MSI afterburner on like -400 core clock to not crash. Even at -400 the card ramps up past 1250 which would be -400 so I'm thinking it is trying to enhance gaming and is automatically clocking higher. I am not too sure about any of this but I do think this is the problem and if anyone can help that'd be awesome. I know I am supposed to post specs of my PC but it really doesn't matter I have replaced everything in the PC including RAM PSU Cooler and motherboard and tested the card in a friends PC and their game crashed as well. If any info is needed I can obviously give it.

Yea you should rma it, that gpu is wayyy below spec, prob a defective gpu with some absolutely horrible silicon

Though you could try shoving all the power limits to the right and see what happens

What psu do you have now?

This might be a time to use warranty but I'd like to know you psu first.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What psu do you have now?

This might be a time to use warranty but I'd like to know you psu first.

Unfortunately I bought the PC and it is a prebuilt it came with a 650 watt garbage PSU so the first thing I did was get a Corsair 850 watt gold rated PSU I looked up what i needed before buying and it was way more than enough and supposedly the 650 was good. I have an i7 9700k CPU but again I no longer think its a power issue because It crashed in my friends PC earlier today. The PC was bought from BestBuy by a friend of mine and I bought it literally a month after he bought it. This was august 2020 so a little over a year. Would the warranty extend that long and if so I'm hoping its through gigabyte and not BestBuy because I don't have receipts.  

Well best you can do is apply for warranty with gigabyte then.

Let this be a lesson to always keep receipts.

How much warranty do you normally have? I know there is something stupid like 1 year and 2 years for certain things and such.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Well best you can do is apply for warranty with gigabyte then.

Let this be a lesson to always keep receipts.

How much warranty do you normally have? I know there is something stupid like 1 year and 2 years for certain things and such.

Yah to be honest when buying it from him I almost didn't because he didn't have the receipts. I know him pretty well so I knew he wouldn't scam me and he realized he didn't actually want to play pc and I offered him 1000$ for his whole setup and he just said sure. So to be fair I did get a lot more than 1000$ worth of stuff but either way. Also I never had a problem with it until recently so that kind of does suck. But thanks for the help and I'll apply for that and also call best buy and see what their policy is. 

7 minutes ago, Zimlichg said:

Yah to be honest when buying it from him I almost didn't because he didn't have the receipts. I know him pretty well so I knew he wouldn't scam me and he realized he didn't actually want to play pc and I offered him 1000$ for his whole setup and he just said sure. So to be fair I did get a lot more than 1000$ worth of stuff but either way. Also I never had a problem with it until recently so that kind of does suck. But thanks for the help and I'll apply for that and also call best buy and see what their policy is. 

I know that manufacturer warranty and store warranty is a lot different over there. Complicated mess :p.

The card will have it's s/n number and all on it somewhere that is what you will need.

Worst case you sell it as broken and still get like 500 for it for some stupid reason.