Is my PSU strong enough, and isn't it to old?

Fawakap

Hello,

I have a question.

About half a year ago I got a desktop from my grandfather. the desktop is around 10-15 years old. I have replaced some parts such as the RAM (DDR3, from 6gb to 16gb), the gpu (from a gts 250, to a gtx 650 and now a gtx 960), an extra SSD and I have used 2 fans. now I just don't know if my PSU can handle the new GTX 960. how do i find out?

How does the PSU look like? Can you send a picture? Do you see any sticker on the power supply?

9 minutes ago, Zmimgo said:

How does the PSU look like? Can you send a picture? Do you see any sticker on the power supply?

Screenshot_20211012-145001-462.thumb.png.38b334a0a7891f749b855a85b7a9537e.png

8 minutes ago, Fawakap said:

The 12 volt rail (+12V1 and +12V2) provides a total of 216W. The 12 volt rail is the power for mainly your CPU, GPU and motherboard. 216W should be enough, but personally I would just get a better PSU, not because it isn't any good, just because I cannot prove if it is very good. You also could maybe make the money back with the added efficiency of a modern PSU.

1 minute ago, Zmimgo said:

The 12 volt rail (+12V1 and +12V2) provides a total of 216W. The 12 volt rail is the power for mainly your CPU, GPU and motherboard. 216W should be enough, but personally I would just get a better PSU, not because it isn't any good, just because I cannot prove if it is very good. You also could maybe make the money back with the added efficiency of a modern PSU.

but is it not correct that it says max 313.9 watts?

33 minutes ago, Fawakap said:

no it is correct 

but id still get a better psu just to be safe as the acbel pc9045-za1g was made for older computers without added components like gpus 

3 hours ago, Fawakap said:

That PSU don't have a 6 pin PCI-e connector for the GPU. Do you use a molex to 6 pin adapter to power the current GTX 650?

1 hour ago, --SID-- said:

That PSU don't have a 6 pin PCI-e connector for the GPU. Do you use a molex to 6 pin adapter to power the current GTX 650?

No, but I did it with the gts 250 and I planned to do the same with the gtx 960. can you actually use a 6 pin if you need an 8 pin? is that enough?

11 minutes ago, Fawakap said:

No, but I did it with the gts 250 and I planned to do the same with the gtx 960

It's unsafe!

11 minutes ago, Fawakap said:

can you actually use a 6 pin if you need an 8 pin? is that enough?

No, the card won't work wit a 6 pin when a 8 pin is required. I actually know one card that works with a 6 pin in the 8 pin: Asus Strix GTX 970.

20 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

It's unsafe!

No, the card won't work wit a 6 pin when a 8 pin is required. I actually know one card that works with a 6 pin in the 8 pin: Asus Strix GTX 970.

I tried it and it worked. Only the fans won't spin anymore after a few seconds. But I saw that that's probably normal.

Ok look that thing is ancient and Acbel stuff is from a long time ago. I've never found a Acbel psu to be a good unit and have had MANY kill systems.

What you are doing is basically asking your system to die.

Using a 6pin in a 8pin slot is not supposed to work. This is pure luck at play and probably the psu freaking out already. You WILL KILL YOUR PSU, CARD, SYSTEM IF YOU PUT LOAD ON IT. The molex line is not EVER supposed to give more than 75w of power and a 8pin slot can go up to 150w even if you use a adapter from 6 to 8 pin.

So really stop using this you are going to break your computer, short something, actually have a fire and whatnot. THIS IS NOT SAFE DO NOT USE.

23 hours ago, Fawakap said:

As said,

23 hours ago, Zmimgo said:

The 12 volt rail (+12V1 and +12V2) provides a total of 216W. The 12 volt rail is the power for mainly your CPU, GPU and motherboard.

GPU power only runs off 12V. You can of course get adapters doe, such as molex to PCI-e power.

Although as others have pointed out, you will need more power connectors. I have used molex to PCI-e power and it has worked fine, but I wouldn't recommend it. Just get a better PSU, even an used one would be much better.

So what PSU do you recommend? Preferably a not to expensive one.. It is intended to be used for gaming and schoolwork.