How do I enable secure boot without problems

I have uefi enabled but csm enabled is it still safe to disable csm and enable secure boot. 

On a gigabyte b365m ds3h.

Just had the adventure you're having. Nadella should step down over this debacle, seriously. All I can tell you is keep trying the install, if you haven't also enabled TPM, which is the other thing you have to do. I didn't change the classification of my drives either, they were already UEFI, I changed nothing, then on the third round the install just decided to 'allow' the install to happen.

Nanny state silicon valley fascists.

If your drive is GPT, you should be safe to disable CSM. If you can then boot up just fine, you're good. If you can't, re-enable CSM.

As always with these threads, which there are a ton of them lately, it is always preferred to do a clean install and not upgrade.

8 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

Just had the adventure you're having. Nadella should step down over this debacle, seriously. All I can tell you is keep trying the install, if you haven't also enabled TPM, which is the other thing you have to do. I didn't change the classification of my drives either, they were already UEFI, I changed nothing, then on the third round the install just decided to 'allow' the install to happen.

Nanny state silicon valley fascists.

Anyone else really don't understand

4 minutes ago, rickeo said:

If your drive is GPT, you should be safe to disable CSM. If you can then boot up just fine, you're good. If you can't, re-enable CSM.

As always with these threads, which there are a ton of them lately, it is always preferred to do a clean install and not upgrade.

I did the mbr2gpt command

Also do you recommended I use a bookable drive

7 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Mine was a clean install, which means you're not correct here. It is all down to the installer randomly deciding your rig isn't compatible, or you don't have TPM activated which you do, or your drives aren't UEFI even though they are.

2 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

Mine was a clean install, which means you're not correct here. It is all down to the installer randomly deciding your rig isn't compatible, or you don't have TPM activated which you do, or your drives aren't UEFI even though they are.

Can someone just answer me. GIVEN MY DEVICE CAN I DISABLE CSM AND ENABLE SECURE BOOT

1 minute ago, BCsoflol said:

Can someone just answer me. GIVEN MY DEVICE CAN I DISABLE CSM AND ENABLE SECURE BOOT

WHY WOULD ENABLING SECURE BOOT BE A BAD THING SECURE IS IN THE NAME

3 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

WHY WOULD ENABLING SECURE BOOT BE A BAD THING SECURE IS IN THE NAME

Does csm have secure in it. No I did not think so

20 minutes ago, BCsoflol said:

Does csm have secure in it. No I did not think so

Do you even understand what CSM is?

On 10/11/2021 at 7:07 PM, BCsoflol said:

I have uefi enabled but csm enabled is it still safe to disable csm and enable secure boot. 

On a gigabyte b365m ds3h.

CSM stands for Compatibility Support Module. It is a feature of the UEFI, which add legacy support for really old hardware who has trouble with UEFI.

The problem with CSM is that on most motherboards, it also sets the UEFI as BIOS emulation mode (aka: Legacy mode).

UEFI can only boot from drives which has been formatted as GPT (a partition layout format)

BIOS can only boot from drives which has been formatted as MBR (legacy partitioning layout format).

GPT has many advantages over MBR, and that is why the switch was required. So if you disabled CSM, it could result that the UEFI reports to you that there is no OS to load. This is because UEFI doesn't know how to interact with MBR. The good news is that you may be abke convert a drive formatted as MBR to GPT thanks to a tool offered under Windows 10 called mbr2gpt.

If you had issues with the tool we have a guide here on how to use it:

If you it was a success, then you good to go in disabling CSM.

As for SecureBoot, you can enable it or disable it, it has no affect on the system.

It is recommended to be enabled and Windows 11 requires it. SecureBoot prevents a malware to install itself as an OS. Short story, CPUs privilege system is simple, the first program that is executed (your OS), gets to be supervisor. It has full access to the CPU to allow the task of the OS to be, well, an OS (operate your system, hence the name: Operating System). The problem is that if a malware slides itself in as an OS, it will gain control over Windows or whatever other OS you have. The end results is that this malware cannot be detected, and can go through all your memory steeling password, account information, personal information, and more, and by-pass any security features you have (anti-viruses can't detect it), as it has the ability to manufacture memory of programs, so it can override software behaviors. Basically, your computer turns into a zombie. SecureBoot is an important security feature to have.

TPM can also be enabled and disabled at will, without any ill effect, unless you use Windows BitLocker encryption feature (disabled by default), which encrypts your whole drive with the TPM chip (or CPU feature), or some other encryption software that uses TPM or, perhaps, it is unclear, if Windows Hello feature set (or some of the feature sets) under Windows 11 uses or will use TPM to encrypt biometric data locally.

I know but when I disable CSM and enable Secure boot it loads me in then when I restart it doesnt post I reset the CMOS so I am back in my bios and windows but It never works when I enable it. MY MOBO is a b365m Ds3h.

18 minutes ago, BCsoflol said:

I know but when I disable CSM and enable Secure boot it loads me in then when I restart it doesnt post I reset the CMOS so I am back in my bios and windows but It never works when I enable it. MY MOBO is a b365m Ds3h.

Please someone

Also is the clean install stable and is there a way to do it without a USB stick

List the rest fo your components, particularly GPU, monitor and how the 2 are connected.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Are you trying to install windows 11?

I think best way is fresh install,  people had lots of issues trying to "update" from windows 10.

On that note I had 0 issues installing windows 11 on "unsupported" hardware with a fresh install.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

24 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

List the rest fo your components, particularly GPU, monitor and how the 2 are connected.

CPU: i5-9600k

GPU: GTX 1650

I use DisplayPort to connect my GPU to my monitor

MOBO: b365m Ds3h

2 minutes ago, BCsoflol said:

CPU: i5-9600k

GPU: GTX 1650

I use DisplayPort to connect my GPU to my monitor

MOBO: b365m Ds3h

Monitor is an AOC c24G1A 165hz curved.

Display is DP1.2 which normally is OK, but on a 10 series Nvidia card you might still need to do the DP firmware upgrade to have working video output with secure boot on. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

27 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Display is DP1.2 which normally is OK, but on a 10 series Nvidia card you might still need to do the DP firmware upgrade to have working video output with secure boot on. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

So after I do the upgrade, My pc will boot and post after enabling secure boot.

36 minutes ago, BCsoflol said:

So after I do the upgrade, My pc will boot and post after enabling secure boot.

Hopefully, maybe that's not the solution, but it's something it could be.

F@H

GPD Win 2

10 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Hopefully, maybe that's not the solution, but it's something it could be.

Ok any other suggestions to go with that

Just don't want to go taking apart my pc again. I've done it so much I can do it in 4 minutes