Good pc running very bad in games recently

Hello linustechtips members.

The past week my pc have been running games very poorly. I build my pc around 2 years ago now, and everything has been running amazing until recently, it seems to only effect my games.

My hardware;

Asus rog strix 2080 super oc

i9 9900kf

8x4 corsair vengeance rgb pro 3200 mhz

Asus rog maximus xi hero (wifi)

corsair RM750 80+ gold

NZXT kraken x52

x2 Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB

NZXT h510

I will go into more details now.

I have been using csgo to test while my pc has been acting weird, and here is a screenshot for context. The game is in 1440p with settings on low. As you will be able to see in the picture, I have 92 fps, and gpu usage of 95%. This is how my pc have been running every game I have tested such as, league of legends, rust and so on.

https://gyazo.com/bedda8376548ab03b3c7277ae2a5ac9a

A few days ago, when i booted my pc up and started csgo, my fps was back to it's usual self, as you will be able to see in the screenshot, approx 571 fps with same settings as mentioned earlier. The pc felt normal and everything worked amazing, or so i thought, the next morning when I woke up, my pc was back to acting weird with very low fps, it has now been stuck like that since, and once in a while when I boot it up, the fps in games are great. If you look on the last screenshot, you will also be able to see that the gpu usage is way lower at around 58% compared to the 95% usage in the first screenshot.

https://gyazo.com/f99f8ec35f70520fb8da3e1fc68afefd

I have been running some cinebench r15 tests, and i get around 2000-2050 in score, which is around the normal for a stock i9 9900k.

I have also been running some 3dmark tests, and they also seem to be as they should. I can send a screenshot of one of those, if needed.

Solutions I have tried so far;

Reset windows

Reset bios back to factory settings, and only enabled xmp. Downloaded newest and older versions of bios.

removed all drivers for gpu, cpu and motherboard and downloaded newest version and older versions.

All thermals are looking fine, from what I can see.

V-sync are disabled in NVidia control panel.

power settings is put on high performance.

I am running out of suggestions myself, for what It could be. I appreciate all the help I can get extremely much, so thank you.

If your able you could try another OS like Linux.

CS:GO can run on Linux so you can see if It's a Windows Problem.

8 minutes ago, Theextremerobotman said:

If your able you could try another OS like Linux.

CS:GO can run on Linux so you can see if It's a Windows Problem.

I will try out Linux when I come home. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if it makes any difference if I reset windows through settings compared to redownloading again over a USB?

5 minutes ago, Theextremerobotman said:

I think it Downloading it over again from USB Resets it more than from the settings.

Will give that a go too then. Thanks alot for the information and suggestions.

11 minutes ago, Aenea said:

Will give that a go too then. Thanks alot for the information and suggestions.

No problem 😀.

Sadly dont work either. First tried linux and made no change, and now sitting with fresh installed windows, and sadly the same.

Userbenchmark results

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47005460

4 hours ago, Aenea said:

Still not working.

3 hours ago, Aenea said:

I mean you probably told us everything you know, but you see there isn't a lot to go off, right?

The userbench also doesn't tell us much / anything  -- the gpu might be "underperforming" but the problem with that is its still right around the top cards.

What im saying is you need to dig a bit deeper,  what's the difference when the system performs and when it drops... anything-- there has to be...

Afterburner overlay:

Gpu frequencies,  usage

Cpu (all cores)

Ram usage

Vram usage 

Temps

Power draw 

Also:

Page file

Disk usage

Memtest64 

Etc.

^but the above would be a good start.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I mean you probably told us everything you know, but you see there isn't a lot to go off, right?

The userbench also doesn't tell us much / anything  -- the gpu might be "underperforming" but the problem with that is its still right around the top cards.

What im saying is you need to dig a bit deeper,  what's the difference when the system performs and when it drops... anything-- there has to be...

Afterburner overlay:

Gpu frequencies,  usage

Cpu (all cores)

Ram usage

Vram usage 

Temps

Power draw 

Also:

Page file

Disk usage

Memtest64 

Etc.

^but the above would be a good start.

Thanks for your answer. I apologize for the lack of information. I will return with more information when I get home, unless it is still running normally for once. 

I did a memtest86 yesterday on all 4 of my ram, and it found 0 issues with those. 

I will make sure to make a better afterburner overlay when i get home. 

45 minutes ago, Aenea said:

Thanks for your answer. I apologize for the lack of information. I will return with more information when I get home, unless it is still running normally for once. 

I did a memtest86 yesterday on all 4 of my ram, and it found 0 issues with those. 

I will make sure to make a better afterburner overlay when i get home. 

No problem,  and ok.

I also apologize i haven't seen the links until now... these overlay shots are a good start, but unfortunately one time its afterburner the other is nvidia gfe...

What you could do is use those for separate comparisons 

Like when it works good and when it works bad with the Afterburner overlay,  and then do the same with the Nvidia overlay.. i mean it looks like you're halfway there already. And you can post pics here, like so.

bedda8376548ab03b3c7277ae2a5ac9a.jpg.a297aacee644dacc97cd37f5358ea5d7.jpg

And while this is so far not conclusive,  it reminds me of an old Tomb Raider game i have (anniversary) which also runs at very high FPS, but depending on what direction the camera is (and the level) the FPS can drop dramatically,  like from 600 to 95, so really similar to what you posted*. But still, we'd need some comparison shots as I said, to see if something weird happens... this is also why it'd make sense to use both overlays -- separately. 

*I'm not saying its the same thing happening with csgo, just that it reminds me a lot of that...

PS: I'm also noticing both screenshots seem to be in different places... that's not ideal, it would be better to try being in the same spot in the game, maybe there's a practice mode or single player mode you could use.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 10/11/2021 at 12:17 PM, Aenea said:

A few days ago, when i booted my pc up and started csgo, my fps was back to it's usual self

Your graphics card is pretty much maxed out...
Go to the task manager and sort your tasks by GPU usage.
When your PC is slow, are there any tasks using the graphics card a lot excpept for your game?

Maybe there is some malware using it or a windows update or whatever slowing your pc down.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

8 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

Your graphics card is pretty much maxed out

Yeah, funny enough its not maxed out when OP gets far better FPS...

8 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

When your PC is slow, are there any tasks using the graphics card a lot excpept for your game?

Maybe there is some malware using it or a windows update or whatever slowing your pc down.

That's a good idea, but alt tabbing/ taskmaster can also mess things up,  still worth trying,  if OP manages to catch some weird / unexpected processes that use the gpu... 👍

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, suedseefrucht said:

Your graphics card is pretty much maxed out...

It is a fresh windows install, so I doubt there is alot running in the background that isn't supposed to do so, but I will for sure check it out when I get home, unless the pc is running as it is supposed to, as it did late last night.

For malware I have been running windows security and Malwarebytes and they found nothing. Windows is also up to date.

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I also apologize i haven't seen the links until now... these overlay shots are a good start, but unfortunately one time its afterburner the other is nvidia gfe...

What you could do is use those for separate comparisons 

Like when it works good and when it works bad with the Afterburner overlay,  and then do the same with the Nvidia overlay.. i mean it looks like you're halfway there already. And you can post pics here, like so.

I should have done that, and will make sure to do that if I get the chance again. When I took those screenshots I was over the moon thinking the problem was solved, so just took them to send to some friends asking how it was coming along.

Last night I swapped out the gpu with another one I have, and it worked perfectly fine the other one, and when I swapped back to my main gpu, it all seemed to work again, high fps lower gpu usage. I am not really sure how this had any effect, or if it is just pure coincidence. 

For the part where you relate it to an old issue of yours, it is true specific places less fps, but when it is working properly it never dives below 300 fps on that map. For the future I will make sure doing the testing in the same spot, but as mentioned earlier, I was over the moon and thought the problem was solved. The problem I have, is not only for csgo, but every game I have tested so far, cs go was just the only one I had screenshots of, which made me think it would be better for showing contexts, if the screenshots is for any good. The pc dont feel slower or worse when using it for regular stuff, it is only in games I have noticed it so far. 

Problem solved. I wish I could let you all know how it got solved, but I have no clue. I did some testing with another gpu in my pc and everything was running fine, and when I swapped back to my main one, it worked perfectly fine too. 

Thanks for help everyone