Upgrading CPU w/ new 3070

First post on the forums so apologies if my format is off.

Budget (including currency): $300ish or less (hopefully including MOBO)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Warzon, RDR2, F1 2021, remote work

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I currently have an i5 6500 from when I first built the computer. I was finally able to get my hands on a 3070, upgrading from a 1070. I have not noticed really any significant increase in performance so far. I'm gaming at 1440p. Last night in warzone i was hovering around 60fps at all low settings and DLSS set to balanced. In f1 2021 I was hovering around 70fps, which is fine for racing, but I had to turn down settings. I bought a 3070 to max everything out for comfort games and to lower stuff in shooters to get 144hz. I actually have been having Warzone crash on me quite frequently now with no warnings. GPU temps are in the 60's, doesn't even seem like it's being taxed at all?? My CPU stays pinned at 100%

Is my i5 6500 the culprit? Can it simply just not handle the load of modern games for 144hz at 1440p? If so, what would be the best place to start in finding a good value CPU? I've seen 10600 recommended but haven't kept up with CPU details or pricing in a while. I would have to upgrade MOBO as well. Anything new on the horizon I should wait for?

CPU: i5 6500

RAM: 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra

PSU: Corsair CX 650-M

I'd say go with Intel just for the fact that they are the budget CPUs now. On the other hand, I recommend AMD, but Intel isn't bad considering you'll save $$$ and can put it towards other parts of your build. While also getting about the same FPS.

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

8 minutes ago, IveGotTheGoodz said:

First post on the forums so apologies if my format is off.

Budget (including currency): $300ish or less (hopefully including MOBO)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Warzon, RDR2, F1 2021, remote work

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I currently have an i5 6500 from when I first built the computer. I was finally able to get my hands on a 3070, upgrading from a 1070. I have not noticed really any significant increase in performance so far. I'm gaming at 1440p. Last night in warzone i was hovering around 60fps at all low settings and DLSS set to balanced. In f1 2021 I was hovering around 70fps, which is fine for racing, but I had to turn down settings. I bought a 3070 to max everything out for comfort games and to lower stuff in shooters to get 144hz. I actually have been having Warzone crash on me quite frequently now with no warnings. GPU temps are in the 60's, doesn't even seem like it's being taxed at all?? My CPU stays pinned at 100%

Is my i5 6500 the culprit? Can it simply just not handle the load of modern games for 144hz at 1440p? If so, what would be the best place to start in finding a good value CPU? I've seen 10600 recommended but haven't kept up with CPU details or pricing in a while. I would have to upgrade MOBO as well. Anything new on the horizon I should wait for?

CPU: i5 6500

RAM: 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra

PSU: Corsair CX 650-M

I would go for intel because it is cheaper and has relatively similar performance to amd.  I would say get anything from a i59600k and up but that might get outdated soon id get something future proof like a 10700k or 10600k but you need a z490 board to go with that. 

8 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Just buy a 10400(f) + a b560 ds3h or pro vdh and you are good to go

Thanks. Shouldn't I be getting better frames than I am now w/ the i5 6500? Or is it really limiting the 3070 that much.

12 minutes ago, SirWendall said:

I'd say go with Intel just for the fact that they are the budget CPUs now. On the other hand, I recommend AMD, but Intel isn't bad considering you'll save $$$ and can put it towards other parts of your build. While also getting about the same FPS.

Thanks- yeah I'm leaning Intel for that very fact. We've come full circle

10 minutes ago, R3dbullDrinker said:

I would go for intel because it is cheaper and has relatively similar performance to amd.  I would say get anything from a i59600k and up but that might get outdated soon id get something future proof like a 10700k or 10600k but you need a z490 board to go with that. 

Do you know if there are any good sources on upcoming 12th gen intel? I'd hate to buy 10th gen, then 1 month later get stuck with 2gen old platform.

8 minutes ago, IveGotTheGoodz said:

Do you know if there are any good sources on upcoming 12th gen intel? I'd hate to buy 10th gen, then 1 month later get stuck with 2gen old platform.

Not yet id wait until then sorry