Looking to make a completely custom keyboard with a custom pcb. Where do I start?

ShadowTech01

One think I want to learn is how to make custom mechanical keyboards with a new pcb design rather than just use one that's premade. The reason for this is I want to be able to design my own peripherals that may not be avaliable.

Say for example I have to make a small keyboard to fit in a custom All-in-one pc, or I want to swap out a old keyboard in a vintage computer with a more modern one.

One project I want to do is I have a Commodore 128 shell I got in a lot with other vintage stuff. No motherboard or other electronics, just the plastic. I want to turn it into a cool Raspberry Pi project and make a new USB based keyboard for it, maybe even add a few things like a proper modern arrow key design. As far as I know there is no such kit or anything that would work with the original shell so I will have to make my own. I may also have to order custom keycaps too if that's a thing.

This is why any normalized keyboard pcb will just not work, I need something I can totally design for this and any purpose.

Any help is appreciated, first time learning this. 

Hey there.

4 hours ago, ShadowTech01 said:

Any help is appreciated, first time learning this.

I, ah, have zero personal experience with designing and producing custom PCBs, but I might be able to direct you to some resources:

Most PCB design guides will probably recommend KiCad, and perhaps setting up a GitHub repository.

If you run into trouble / have questions following the above guides, I think some folks around here will be able to help you out. 👀

• Hackentosher: Designed "The Bored."
  • James Evens: Designed a few keyboard and adapter PCBs, IIRC?
  • kelvinhall05: Designed and ran a successful Group Buy for the Southpaw75.
  • minibois: Designed the mini_cardboard and eLiXiVy.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)