Huge changes coming to Android, Google will switch to a mainline kernel with driver modules approach by 2023

Master Disaster
1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

My current iPhone was ridiculously expensive.  $1500 (which I was not expecting) and could only cover because I skipped a PC update.

Well nobody forced you to buy the maxed out flagship; as I said you can have a brand new iPhone from Apple for less than 1/3 of that. If you buy in the Apple flagship league, then compare the 1.5k to the flagship prices (MSRP) of Samsung and the like: S20 Ultra 512GB 1.6k; S21 Ultra 5G 512GB 1.4k (they noticed they went a bit too far with the S20?).

11 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Well nobody forced you to buy the maxed out flagship; as I said you can have a brand new iPhone from Apple for less than 1/3 of that. If you buy in the Apple flagship league, then compare the 1.5k to the flagship prices (MSRP) of Samsung and the like: S20 Ultra 512GB 1.6k; S21 Ultra 5G 512GB 1.4k

Heh.  I did.  Sort of.  3 days before launch my ship first-day order got canceled so I had to do it the hard way and wait all night out in front of a shopping mall.  I was second in line and had more or less my pick of everything so I went big because standing around all night in front of a shopping mall sucks.  I wanted first water because I wasn’t sure the parts issue wouldn’t hit apple the way it has everyone else.  I wanted a phone made months ago.  Seems it may have.   I don’t know.  I did the pre-order 18 hours after it was announced though and I could already not get the color I wanted so the pre order stuff was out the window if I could suddenly get anything.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 hours ago, Spindel said:
12 hours ago, Spindel said:

What ever it was it caused a ruckus in the mac community with people sitting on orphaned unsupported hardware (as in external sound equipment) relying on kexts.

Can u expand on that coz I’ve had issues with my numark controller ever since I updated to Big Sur , which include having an unimaginably low output volume , amongst other issues, 

11 hours ago, Dracarris said:

SE 2020

Spoiler

SE looks great on paper, but it honestly has terrible battery life. I cannot understand why apple would sell a phone that can't do more than 5 hours of screen time. It drains fast. The performance, camera etc are great, but the battery is terrible. I was tempted to buy an SE because of it's water protection but the battery life deterred me.

Also SD cards are a major deciding factor for people. I don't really care much(my phone doesn't support sd cards : p). There are a lot of reasons not to buy an iphone, apart from cost(eg lightning)

I would be surprised if google manages to do this. As I have said before, Qualcomm is the main reason we don't get updates as long as we should. What surprises me, in this case is how Samsung manages to justify giving only 3 years support to flagship exynos phones. Google should force the hand of other phone manufacturers into giving updates for longer time. Google has been taking steps to unify the ecosystem and this is a step in the right direction.

8 hours ago, sir_A4D_ said:

Can u expand on that coz I’ve had issues with my numark controller ever since I updated to Big Sur , which include having an unimaginably low output volume , amongst other issues, 

I just read up on it:

Basically from macOS 11 3rd party kext can not be loaded without running the OS at a reduced security level and permissions from the user.

Further Apple recommends to not use kext because they pose a risk to system security and stability and instead find solutions that do not rely on kexts.

So they have not axed kext completley, but are on their way to kill them with a future update.

This is no problem for people using software and external hardware with active development and only poses a problem for people running stuff that has been abandoned.

Just as with the move to ditch 32-bit support apple supports and has the tools to help active developers to make this move. But the writing is in the wall kexts will be killed off because they cause security and stability issues.

Kind of interesting in regards to OP where Android is moving towards this solution.

EDIT:// I personally have not used that much stuff that rely on kext, but from my experience if I have had issues with system crashes and instabilities it has had a strong correlation to external kexts running so this move is very logical from apples side.

25 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Basically from macOS 11 3rd party kext can not be loaded without running the OS at a reduced security level and permissions from the user.

Well, from my experience, it's unsigned (unnotorized) 3rd party kext. Signed ones, eg. Virtualbox's hypervisor kexts are still allowed

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

7 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

I would be surprised if google manages to do this. [..]

Replying to the hidden comment, assuming it is from you. I daily drive an SE 2020 for 1.5 years now. Battery life is for sure not the greatest but I always return home with somewhere between 20-50% left. However I am not someone constantly hanging on their phone.