What Headset Should I Buy?

I'm looking for a headset with the following features:

• 7.1 or 5.1 surround sound (if not digital tell me why digital is bad)
  • Leatherette ear cups (with noise canceling)
  • Comfortable with extended use
  • Good quality sound (i listen to music with lots of bass)
  • Microphone that is really good 
  • Price under $150 AUD (maybe $200)
  • USB or 3.5mm (pink and green jack)
  • Hopefully a controller with volume and mic mute whether on the cord are headset.  
  • I'm looking for something to game with for hours on end but have great sound as well

I'm currently using the Logitech G35 7.1 surround sound headset but am looking for something more reliable and hopefully better. There are so many to choose from and not enough thorough reviews for me to make a definite decision.

Please share your experiences, opinions and recommendations on any headsets that have the above features.

What are the pro's and cons of your recommendations?

Thank you for your help. :)

Keep using G35. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Func HS-260 sounds like something for you.

Usually Stereo will suit all your needs just fine. How comfortable it is for long term use depends on your head compatibility hehe. As for microphone I'd recommend a modmic, a separate mic so you get the best of both worlds. 

EDIT: Virtual surround sound emulates 3d sound in games just fine, no need for physical surround sound headphones. 

I wouldn't go for a headset advertised for gaming purposes, they tend to skimp on audio quality have low standards for mic quality. 

EDIT: Getting headphones for music gets you much better audio quality, and a separate mic gets you much better audio input recording too. What type of music do you listen to and what type of headphone do you want? Something with a flat eq or a punchy bass? 

Are you a music promotion channel on youtube? You've got a promoter icon for the EDM district. 

Also welcome to the forums!

4YNI1Xu.gif

Don't forget to read the CoC here!

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I use the same Logitech g35 headset and like it for its gaming purposes but i am planning on buying buying a pair of audio technica athm50x or the older version the ath m50, they are very popular and good for the price. as for the mic i would just sugjest using a modmic or just use a desktop mic (i use a wii sing it mic, its logitech dont worry)

ath m50x - http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397061107&sr=8-1&keywords=ath+m50

ath m50 - http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397061107&sr=8-2&keywords=ath+m50

SONG- If you like pina-colatas ME- I like them SONG- And getting caught in the rain ME- I sorta like that SONG- If your not in to yoga ME- I hate yoga SONG- Then im the love that you look for ME-  :blink:  no...

Thanks for all your responses so far, they're really helpful and I'm really impressed with how quick the responses are! This will be my go to forum for tech related questions from now on.  :lol:

I'm leaning towards something primarily for gaming but if they have great sound quality that is defiantly a plus.

Usually Stereo will suit all your needs just fine. How comfortable it is for long term use depends on your head compatibility hehe. As for microphone I'd recommend a modmic, a separate mic so you get the best of both worlds. 

EDIT: Getting headphones for music gets you much better audio quality, and a separate mic gets you much better audio input recording too. What type of music do you listen to and what type of headphone do you want? Something with a flat eq or a punchy bass? 

Are you a music promotion channel on youtube? You've got a promoter icon for the EDM district. 

Also welcome to the forums!

I would prefer a surround sound as i play allot of FPS games. I'm aware that allot of gaming oriented company's have poor products compared to allot of other devices of similar value and that's why I'm here asking for everyone help. As for my previous icon not really i just put up the occasional song that i enjoy nothing serious, I listen to lots of EDM, Dubstep, Drum and Bass, Glitch hop, etc. What do you mean by 'modmic' Is this it? http://www.modmic.com/collections/frontpage/products/modmic 

or do you mean something like a blue snowball or yeti?

Thanks for your help

Func HS-260 sounds like something for you.

These look really promising but I'm really interested in the modmic setup now.

Keep using G35. 

Mine are broken at the moment they're all crackly when sound plays and Logitech support helped determine that it's a hardware problem. Unfortunately they aren't covered by warranty anymore.

I found the one I'm using now, the audio technica AD700, very good for gaming positional sounds. I can pinpoint the directions of sounds easily, and hear small ambient sounds (like footsteps, etc) clearly. It's really good for musics too. It's a little low on bass though, but if you have an EQ on your soundcard, just crank the low frequencies up, and you'll be fine. 

I found the one I'm using now, the audio technica AD700, very good for gaming positional sounds. I can pinpoint the directions of sounds easily, and hear small ambient sounds (like footsteps, etc) clearly. It's really good for musics too. It's a little low on bass though, but if you have an EQ on your soundcard, just crank the low frequencies up, and you'll be fine. 

I'm not really sure about my sound card. I'm using an ASUS K53sv laptop and these are my current sound devices:

Intel® Display Audio

Logitech G35 Headset

NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

Realtek High Definition Audio

Virtual Audio Cable

My drivers are Realtek HD audio driver 6.0.1.7083 and I'm not sure if i can even use a Modmic or an Audio Technica device?

I'm not really sure about my sound card. I'm using an ASUS K53sv laptop and these are my current sound devices:

Intel® Display Audio

Logitech G35 Headset

NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

Realtek High Definition Audio

Virtual Audio Cable

My drivers are Realtek HD audio driver 6.0.1.7083 and I'm not sure if i can even use a Modmic or an Audio Technica device?

You can use a modmic and a audio technica no probs. As long as your have a mic and headphone jack that works.

I understand what you mean needing surround sound for FPS games. I use to own 3 headsets 2 of which had 3d surround sound. Ever since I switched to stereo sound I haven't noticed a difference, the headphones settings in the audio options in FPS games like BF4 simulate virtual surround sound just fine. Have you heard of the virtual barber shop? Its a video on youtube that simulates virtual surround sound with stereo headphones. It sounds friggan real if you close your eyes and just listen with stereo headphones. 

There are various free virtual surround sound programs that you can download and use on PC. Therefore just get a ATH-M50 or a Shure headphone, maybe sennheiser if you want less punchy bass. Then nab a modmic and get the best of both worlds. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

How about the razer kraken 7.1, as far as I can tell they will be perfect for you. However there is no volume control, (is a mute though).

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Surround sound headsets are not only a poor value, but pointless. You don't have 7.1 ears. Switch your audio settings to "binaural" when using open headphones and I can pretty much guarantee you that with a good pair of headphones, you will not notice a difference. Headsets don't generally have money put into their audio quality, so I wouldn't buy them. Only time headsets really matter is when they offer something headphones don't (microphone features, wireless, etc). You're better off buying headphones and a dedicated microphone and both will be better than a headset combined, especially if that company rhymes with Brazer.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

There are various free virtual surround sound programs that you can download and use on PC. Therefore just get a ATH-M50 or a Shure headphone, maybe sennheiser if you want less punchy bass. Then nab a modmic and get the best of both worlds. 

Thanks allot MylnnerFred, you and everyone else that posted, you really helped me out! That barber shop video was amazing and I've decided away from surround sound now. I am going to get a pair of ATH-M50's and a Modmic.

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks allot MylnnerFred, you and everyone else that posted, you really helped me out! That barber shop video was amazing and I've decided away from surround sound now. I am going to get a pair of ATH-M50's and a Modmic.

Thanks again everyone!

I would not go M50. Those have terrible sound stage and will be hard to hear things in surround. Plus they are overhyped and overpriced. If you want closed, go for Beyerdynamic DT770. Open is typically better for sound stage and for that I recommend Beyerdynamic DT 990 or Sennheiser HD558. 

Dedicated headphones with removable came and v-moda boom pro mic. Not surround.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I went Sennheiser headset; specifically the  PC 350 SE's.  I think its great. Maybe look at those or others in the PC line.  I didn't pay MSRP so it was a better option for how I use audio. (Amazon Warehouse Deals - Like New - $130 USD 2 Day ship)