Tips to improve laptop battery life, please.

Go to solution Solved by Pixelfie,

1. No, the laptop will stop charging the battery and the power will be used to run the laptop. Once you unplug it it will start using the battery.

2. Yes, only do it once in a while for calibrating the battery. Once or twice a year, not more.

3. That helps a lot. My laptop still has 70% health after 3 years but my friends with the exact same laptop have like 40% after 3 years. Difference is I set a charging limit to 80 and they didn't.

Hello, I am using laptop since last three or four years and I had no idea on how to maintain laptop battery health until recently I checked my battery capacity which has come down from it's full capacity 41mWh to just 16mWh, I know lithium ion battery capacity comes down gradually but I would like to get some inputs on maintaining better life for more time.
Some of the doubts which I already have are..

1.Can we leave the wall power connected to laptop all the time? 
2. Charging to 100% and allowing it completely discharge below 20% is bad?
3. Is 40%-80% battery charging good for better battery?

1. No, the laptop will stop charging the battery and the power will be used to run the laptop. Once you unplug it it will start using the battery.

2. Yes, only do it once in a while for calibrating the battery. Once or twice a year, not more.

3. That helps a lot. My laptop still has 70% health after 3 years but my friends with the exact same laptop have like 40% after 3 years. Difference is I set a charging limit to 80 and they didn't.

37 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Thank you, my doubt on 2nd and 3rd is clear.

But I am sorry, regarding the 1st question, so is it safe to leave the wall power on ?? Like, limit to 80% and let the power supply be on all the time, just like desktop, it won't affect the battery, right?

5 minutes ago, Benji said:

Limiting it is important because batteries actually hate being kept at 100% all the time.

Yes yes, I have done that but I wasn't sure if it's okay to leave the power on all the time....?🤔

45 minutes ago, suraj ranjan said:

Thank you, my doubt on 2nd and 3rd is clear.

But I am sorry, regarding the 1st question, so is it safe to leave the wall power on ?? Like, limit to 80% and let the power supply be on all the time, just like desktop, it won't affect the battery, right?

Yes, because the battery won't overcharge

1 minute ago, Pixelfie said:

Yes, because the battery won't overcharge

Alright, thank you 🙂