What is the best 5ghz router for 60$

Linus No Beard

There's no such thing as a 6GHz router. I'm assuming you mean WiFi 6? If so, there's nothing in that price range. You're looking at $100+.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

There's no such thing as a 6GHz router. I'm assuming you mean WiFi 6? If so, there's nothing in that price range. You're looking at $100+.

ok well wi-fi 5 then it is

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

WiFi 6E uses 6Ghz. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

WiFi 6E uses 6Ghz. 

Oh, right. Forgot about the FCC opening up more spectrum. Well, you're definitely not getting 6E for $60, so it's kind of moot anyways.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

Oh, right. Forgot about the FCC opening up more spectrum. Well, you're definitely not getting 6E for $60, so it's kind of moot anyways.

in that case anything better than the one my IPS(AT&T) gave me

Just FYI: the number in WiFi 5/6 has nothing to do with GHz. Virtually every router on the market is a "5GHz router" in the sense that it has a 5GHz band, but they all have 2.4GHz as well, and while you're not likely to find any still at this point, even stuff like Wireless N, was still technically 5GHz.

44 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

AT&T requires you use their gateway. So your kinda better off getting an AP rather than a router, OR your going too need to put the gateway in Pass Thru mode as it doesnt support bridge mode. 

44 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

Go walk to Goodwill and hope someone have a random DOCSIS 3.0 modem at that budget. Youre not getting anything remotely performant at that price, you better off actually optimizing it in software wise and use that 60$ to buy a roll of 100m CAT5e LAN cable.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Just now, SorryClaire said:

Go walk to Goodwill and hope someone have a random DOCSIS 3.0 modem at that budget. Youre not getting anything remotely performant at that price, you better off actually optimizing it in software wise and use that 60$ to buy a roll of 100m CAT5e LAN cable.

AT&T is a phone company they dont use Docsis. They provide DSL or Fiber. Mostly DSL. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

AT&T is a phone company they dont use Docsis.

Sorry, mind kinda defaulted to cable. My point still stand though, youre not getting a router thats better than the combo that ISP uses at that low of a budget.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I'm using the Xiaomi AX3600, it's pretty cheap,can be configured on mesh with other xiaomi routers,it have Wifi 6 and a damn lot wifi power comparing with the ISP router

I got it from amazon at 70€

1 minute ago, MR H. said:

I'm using the Xiaomi AX3600, it's pretty cheap,can be configured on mesh with other xiaomi routers,it have Wifi 6 and a damn lot wifi power comparing with the ISP router

I was going to suggest one of the Chinese brands as well if the budget is this low. But I can't vouch for reliability, features, and general performance.

Hopefully, there are other users on this forum with access to Asian markets who have used similar products and can give first-hand experience.

If the space is relatively small with minimal obstruction, you can take a look at the Ubiquiti airCube-AC (not ISP version), a WiFi 5 router with the ability to run in AP/bridge mode. Features are not as extensive as the UniFi alternatives, but it does the basics quite well.

26 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

I was going to suggest one of the Chinese brands as well if the budget is this low. But I can't vouch for reliability, features, and general performance.

Hopefully, there are other users on this forum with access to Asian markets who have used similar products and can give first-hand experience.

If the space is relatively small with minimal obstruction, you can take a look at the Ubiquiti airCube-AC (not ISP version), a WiFi 5 router with the ability to run in AP/bridge mode. Features are not as extensive as the UniFi alternatives, but it does the basics quite well.

With that budget it can go for something like that or somethink chinese and tune it.

I'm pretty happy with the AX3600, but as i got the european version,i had to modify it to unleash all the power.

That's  because by default the wifi power it's limited to comply with UE laws 

It's a 30 min tutorial and you get a 2 antennas at 2.4Ghz with 30 dBm and 4 antennas at 5Ghz with  30 dBm  

3 minutes ago, MR H. said:

It's a 30 min tutorial and you get a 2 antennas at 2.4Ghz with 30 dBm and 2 antennas at 5Ghz with  30 dBm  

Wow! I don't think my newly-installed U6-Lites go past 26dBm on high output for 5GHz.

Can the antenna power output be adjusted for the AX3600?

Just now, Falcon1986 said:

Wow! I don't think my newly-installed U6-Lites go past 26dBm on high output for 5GHz.

Can the antenna power output be adjusted for the AX3600?

You can't adjust directly the dBm, but you can adjust the mW used, you can get this dBm over the antennas:

0 dBm (1 mW)
6 dBm (3 mW)
10 dBm (10 mW)
14 dBm (25 mW)
18 dBm (63 mW)
22 dBm (158 mW)
26 dBm (398 mW)
30 dBm (1000 mW)

23 minutes ago, MR H. said:

With that budget it can go for something like that or somethink chinese and tune it.

I'm pretty happy with the AX3600, but as i got the european version,i had to modify it to unleash all the power.

That's  because by default the wifi power it's limited to comply with UE laws 

It's a 30 min tutorial and you get a 2 antennas at 2.4Ghz with 30 dBm and 4 antennas at 5Ghz with  30 dBm  

You do realise technically you can be fined for making your network break the law, right?

49 minutes ago, MR H. said:

I got it from amazon at 70€

The Honor Router 3 is periodically on sale for less than this, although I haven't tested it as a router only in Access Point mode where its fast but has some issues (it blocks certain broadcast traffic so my phone wont see my surround receiver).

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You do realise technically you can be fined for making your network break the law, right?

The Honor Router 3 is periodically on sale for less than this, although I haven't tested it as a router only in Access Point mode where its fast but has some issues (it blocks certain broadcast traffic so my phone wont see my surround receiver).

Technically yes that's why mine it's on 20dBm,the maximum allowed here for 2.4Ghz

Here on Spain the allowed dBm can go from 10 to 30 and ever close to 40 depending on the used channel on 5 Ghz

This device if you buy it with the chinese software(you can do that from amazon) by default it's on 30dBm.

The Honor router 3 looks nice, it's "small" and flat, you could hide it easily.