GPU Updates causing issue to Nvidia 1660 TI

I tried to update my GPU to the latest firmware,472.12 and GE force experience told me that it would require a restart because it's critical update. Ive never had a GPU update tell me that before. When I did, the restart happened, my GPU wasn't detected at all and in device manager it was labeled "Display" rather than the usual 1660 TI label and not under Display Adapters. It came back eventually but then I restarted my pc again, and it turns out the update didn't go through, so now i'm in the process of using DDU to hopefully make sure it installs properly. But it initially disconnected again, before this time restoring that it was a 1660 TI in device manager.  The fact that it disconnects initially when the restart happens has a me a tad worried. Is this GPU dying?

Specs
CPU i7 8700

GPU : Windforce 1660 ti

Asus prime h310 plus motherboard

16 gb ddr4 ram

PSU 500w

Storage : 3 SSD's of various sizes. 

just go back to the stable version, 

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Just now, adarw said:

just go back to the stable version, 

Is that not the stable version? I just use GEForce Experience to update when there is an update.

Just now, Stellarisk said:

Is that not the stable version? I just use GEForce Experience to update when there is an update.

By the stable version he means the one where the card worked without any issue. It's possible there's a bug in the latest version of the driver, so going back to the known stable version might be the way to go.

As for why it would disconnect, it will say "Basic Display Adapter" in Device Manager if the device isn't recognized, and when Microsoft installs the correct driver from Windows Update, it will say 1660 Ti again. I wouldn't really worry about it, just go through DDU and install a version of the driver, whether it be the latest or the previous version that you know works. 

18 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

By the stable version he means the one where the card worked without any issue. It's possible there's a bug in the latest version of the driver, so going back to the known stable version might be the way to go.

As for why it would disconnect, it will say "Basic Display Adapter" in Device Manager if the device isn't recognized, and when Microsoft installs the correct driver from Windows Update, it will say 1660 Ti again. I wouldn't really worry about it, just go through DDU and install a version of the driver, whether it be the latest or the previous version that you know works. 

Thats good to know. I compared some information with this update with the game I played a lot, but can this be explained?  I had higher gpu utilization and lower temps in the old update. But this new one the utilization is much lower but the temps are at least 8 degrees higher.

Thats good to know. I compared some information with this update with the game I played a lot, but can this be explained?  I had higher gpu utilization and lower temps in the old update. But this new one the utilization is much lower but the temps are at least 8 degrees higher.

It probably just comes down to a bad driver install or bad driver in general. Install the latest and see if it goes away, or if it doesn't, go to the last one that worked correctly.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It probably just comes down to a bad driver install or bad driver in general. Install the latest and see if it goes away, or if it doesn't, go to the last one that worked correctly.

Makes me wonder which one worked correctly, the one with higher utilization and lower temps or the other one. The latest driver is what made the temps go up. I'm not sure how to roll it back to the older driver though.

Makes me wonder which one worked correctly, the one with higher utilization and lower temps or the other one. The latest driver is what made the temps go up. I'm not sure how to roll it back to the older driver though.

Go onto Nvidia's website and download an older driver.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

There will let you search for older drivers, so pick the older one that you know works.

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Go onto Nvidia's website and download an older driver.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

There will let you search for older drivers, so pick the older one that you know works.

Thank you I'll do that. Is the one with the lower utilization but higher temps what's good? It was installed after a clean DDU.

1 minute ago, Stellarisk said:

Thank you I'll do that. Is the one with the lower utilization but higher temps what's good? It was installed after a clean DDU.

Usually you want higher utilization and lower temps.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Usually you want higher utilization and lower temps.

Ah okay. It's weird because shows look better now but definitely I'd want the lower temps. Here's hoping it works out.