UPS users - post up

IPD

I searched a few pages of the Power-Supplies sub-forum, but didn't see anything about Uninterruptible Power Supplies being used, recommendations about them, etc.  Not sure if this thread will go anywhere, but I figure I can share and see where it goes.

Things to consider:

1. Wattage

I'm kind of an idiot because I originally bought one of the cheapest UPS's I could find--and paid no attention to wattage.  This resulted in 2 fried PSU's from power outages (apparently 850w PSU's don't really benefit from a 250w UPS).  And not only do you need to factor in the power draw from your PC, you need to account for all the peripherals you intend to run off it as well (monitors, lights, routers, etc).  My AOC 40" lists something like 47w.  All of that adds up.  You ideally want something with a bit more overhead than your nominal power draw, just to account for heavy loads.

But you also need to understand the relationship between Watts, Power Factor,  and VoltAmps (VA).

http://powerquality.eaton.com/thoughtleadership/power-protection/va-vs-watts.asp?cx=-400

2. Sine Wave

Every UPS is tasked with providing power output from stored energy.  Think about the sine wave of power output in terms of what an analog vs digital sine wave looks like.  A pure sine wave (e.g. what comes from the power company) looks like an analog sine wave.  A modified sine wave looks like a digital sine wave.  Pure sine wave UPS's tend to cost a bit more.  Modified sine wave output can potentially damage some connected devices, so if you are buying a modified sine-wave UPS, be sure to check the PSU (or other connected devices) to see if they are compatible with this type of sine wave.

3. Duration

Pretty straightforward.  Usually listed as run-time or something similar.  This will vary depending on power draw, and CAN be extended in some cases.  Some UPS's have the ability to add auxiliary batteries (I have also seen user-modified setups to add batteries in series).  If you only need something to keep your setup from random shutdowns, this is of minimal importance.  However if you are doing productivity work and need time to finish, this may be of greater importance.  Keep in mind that a UPS isn't designed to mitigate extended power outages.  If that is a possibility you want to account for, a Generac (or similar) with an automatic start/switch will be a great compliment to a quality UPS.

---

This is the unit I currently have:

https://www.newegg.com/EATON-5SC1500-NEMA-5-15R/p/42-302-749

It does have a fan (although it makes less noise than the minifridge on the other side of the desk).  The readout is quite helpful, and even helped me detect a grounding issue in my house wiring.

---

Please post up your UPS's, your experiences with them, recommendations, and any other good data I forgot to mention.

I went with the APC Back-UPS 650 (MFG #BE650G1) for my networking gear. Wanted something inexpensive with a replaceable battery to keep things alive during small power flickers that reset everything and cause headaches when I'm not home.

Given the hardware load it should run for about 20 minutes on battery, which is more than enough for what I need it for. Had no issues so far and am really happy with it.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

My dad got a CyberPower SX950U. It works well - my main PC isn't hooked up to the battery side to it since it will drain it VERY quickly but it runs our modem, routers (I have an AirPort Express 802.11n hooked up to the main router for a WEP access point for my 3DS in DS emulation mode), and my Minecraft server (low power draw, the GPU is a 3D Rage II +DVD that draws maybe 3-5W, it has no heatsink and the CPU draws maybe 65W max). Lasts about 15-20 minutes, works well.

elephants

I use a CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System, 1500VA/1000W

This is my second one, I replaced the first one out of caution because it was 6 years old and had already survived like 400 power outages/surges

It won't last long if you continue gaming on a high-end pc after the outage, but gives you plenty of time to finish what your doing and shut down, or even charge your phone when the powers out.

Besides a server rack one I don't think you can get a larger one than this one.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

Yeah, I was kind of torn on CyberPower, APC, and finally settled on Eaton.  Too many variables in every user experience to really get a feel for each product.

My first UPS was Cyberpower BRICs LCD 1000VA/600W UPS, but at that time I was stupid and didn't know the difference between pure and modified sine wave output. It saved my PC numerous times from overcurrent protection and brownout, so I guess my old power supply was fine with modified sine wave.

Now that PC was upgraded my UPS was too weak for it and needed a new one. That's when I learn power supply with active PFC (power factor correction) need pure sine wave output. Currently waiting for PowerShield Commander Tower 1100VA to arrive as our city is locked down from covid, so for now my PC is only surge protected.

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

I use some UPS:
APC SURT 2kva and 5kva about 4-5 years.. problem is SURT over 3kva use expensive 192v battery pack . and after 3 years battery became dead
then I replace it by omron BU3002RWL it can change voltage output from 100v to 230vac and , it only need 72V battery pack for 3kva. and you can use it like a voltage stabilizer without battery. 
all of them is online sine wave type UPS . all working good .