Why Does LinusTechTips.com have a "D" Rating from DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials Extension?

DrEagleTalon
Go to solution Solved by Jeskspie,
On 9/24/2021 at 5:48 AM, danomicar said:

Unfortunately, most websites have trackers. I doubt someone at LMG actually sat down and thought, "Gee, I guess we should add trackers to the forums", it's likely coming from the forum software or the ad platform hooked into the forums. Nothing to be particularly concerned about.

That being said, you can definitely feel free to leave the trackers disabled by the duckduckgo extension. 

Yea I asked the dev, they just use a pre-made forum template and just add LTT styling and custom features, it prolly had it pre-packaged with the template in some .js code for anylitics

So I love the community and love all the channels and know they have a business to run so analytics and ads are probably important but just wondering if anyone smarter than me can tell me why they have such a low grade? With Site Protection Turned on its raised to a "B" but I whitelist sites I enjoy, frequent a lot or trust. Just wondering.

image.thumb.png.d44fdcbefac7821089935ca8a5209753.png

Because this site has some very common trackers and the DuckDuckGo extension tanks a site's grade when it finds trackers.

As a sidenote, if you're using the DuckDuckGo extension for privacy, why are you disabling it anywhere? It's not like ad blocking where it directly harms revenue, it's to prevent the trackers from following you. Not to mention the people that made the site aren't the ones tracking you, although I don't see why you'd be more okay if it was Linus tracking you instead of Google, it's the companies that made the trackers following you.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Unfortunately, most websites have trackers. I doubt someone at LMG actually sat down and thought, "Gee, I guess we should add trackers to the forums", it's likely coming from the forum software or the ad platform hooked into the forums. Nothing to be particularly concerned about.

That being said, you can definitely feel free to leave the trackers disabled by the duckduckgo extension. 

21 minutes ago, danomicar said:

Trackers come with Invision Power Services ;)

10 hours ago, DrEagleTalon said:

So I love the community and love all the channels and know they have a business to run so analytics and ads are probably important but just wondering if anyone smarter than me can tell me why they have such a low grade? With Site Protection Turned on its raised to a "B" but I whitelist sites I enjoy, frequent a lot or trust. Just wondering.

image.thumb.png.d44fdcbefac7821089935ca8a5209753.png

Just curious,  how does it rate Google?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 9/24/2021 at 5:48 AM, danomicar said:

Yea I asked the dev, they just use a pre-made forum template and just add LTT styling and custom features, it prolly had it pre-packaged with the template in some .js code for anylitics

22 hours ago, Arch User said:

That's interesting. In the grand scheme of things it's really not a big deal, but I do think it's a bit of a shame that trackers have become so normalized. 

On 9/23/2021 at 11:28 PM, BobVonBob said:

Because this site has some very common trackers and the DuckDuckGo extension tanks a site's grade when it finds trackers.

As a sidenote, if you're using the DuckDuckGo extension for privacy, why are you disabling it anywhere? It's not like ad blocking where it directly harms revenue, it's to prevent the trackers from following you. Not to mention the people that made the site aren't the ones tracking you, although I don't see why you'd be more okay if it was Linus tracking you instead of Google, it's the companies that made the trackers following you.

thanks for this info. i was misunderstanding the value of trackers to a website. i work in IT but as a sys admin and development is out of my wheelhouse. so thanks for the info i just watched a video on how it all works.

The fourms did have a data breach a few years ago

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

1 hour ago, Slayerking92 said:

The fourms did have a data breach a few years ago

Good to know.. or not.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

15 hours ago, Mooshi said:

I trust Linus not to drop my data.

I Trust linus to drop anything placed in his hands.  

But since it'd be physical media, we're fine, cuz it'd break