Building your own case with T-slot frame! (QA)

ryo0hki
Go to solution Solved by crakddx,

what about the corsair 5000x? is a massive case and can fit at least 2 360mm rads

So after having issues figuring out what case I could buy and cram my parts in, I thought it may be easier to build my own case with T-slot materials.

Parts list that has to fit:

2x 3090 Kingpin (360mm radiators)

evga Dark x570 board

1 ice giant thermosyphon.

evga 1200W modular power supply

If anyone has any plans or ideas.. or even a good case to buy to avoid having to build it myself please fill me in.

Do you have a laser cutter? Or a friend/nearby store that has one? This would be essential for maaking parts of the case.

Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

5 minutes ago, Mr-G-Man said:

Do you have a laser cutter? Or a friend/nearby store that has one? This would be essential for maaking parts of the case.

Ahh your talking about the side panels, and the bits that hold things in the T-frame.  At the moment i don't mind if its open air.  but i would need to figure out something to mount the motherboard and the GPUs on.  Right now i have most of the parts minus one of the 3090s.  Still need the dark motherboard as well.  Don't have access to a laser cutter yet but i can start asking around.  I work as a electrician in a plant i'm sure there's something around here i could use.

my personal favorite home built case was a guy who just screwed everything to the wall with drywall screws.  $0, foot print 0, airflow fantastic.  looked like a dead squid but it worked fine.

You've got two big radiators to hang and thermosyphons tend to be not small.  Rule #1 of sculpture is make sure the thing ill fit through the door when finished.  (it gets broken more often than one would think)   getting the measurements correct so those parts fit in what you make will be important.  larger is just slop, but smaller causes problems.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

the crow csfg is a good wall mounted case, and I believe it can houese two gpus

Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

1 minute ago, Mr-G-Man said:

the crow csfg is a good wall mounted case, and I believe it can houese two gpus

Dont mind too much if its heavy.  but it needs to be moveable.  so a Desk build or a wall build wont work out.  

imagine two rtx 3090s in an itx build lol
there are guides on youtube fforr custom cases, and also 3d priniting templates
3d prinitng could be used for brackets nd things, you just have too make sure its good filament.

Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

The main problem is any case i go shopping for may or may not be able to handle two 360mm rads.  I have no idea what the best configuration would be with the loop already attached to the cards.  I just know the cards need to be lower then the rads

1 minute ago, Mr-G-Man said:

imagine two rtx 3090s in an itx build lol
there are guides on youtube fforr custom cases, and also 3d priniting templates
3d prinitng could be used for brackets nd things, you just have too make sure its good filament.

I do have someone here who has a boatload of 3d printers.  Ill see what ideas he can come up with

what about the corsair 5000x? is a massive case and can fit at least 2 360mm rads

Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

3 minutes ago, Mr-G-Man said:

What bothers me is two things.

#1  the limited location of the rads means the loop already attached will run over the top of the motherboard and probably on top of the thermosyphon.

#2  No expanding rubber that you tighten a thumbscrew down with to hold glass up.  

I'm starting to think there's no way I can make this pretty...

It would fit your other requirements ttho.

Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

I need to measure the distance of the preinstalled hoses before i go any further.

11 minutes ago, Mr-G-Man said:

Okay!

Yea this one should work..  don't think the hoses will come out through the cover plate if i attach it to the side  but the front and top seems like a good choice

One number I suggest getting is the height of the thermosyphon.  Motherboards are iirc a standardized thickness or something, because that plus cooler height allowance is total interior width. I don’t know how much variance there is (one could possibly make one part thinner and another thicker making the same height) I can’t myself see it being more than maybe a half centimeter though,   Another thought if you’re DIYing is to just put both 3 fan rads on the top next to each other which would make the case so thick it likely wouldn’t matter.  You’d wind up with a very wide somewhat deep but not at all tall PC.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, ryo0hki said:

Lol..  i just don't want to disassemble the 360 rads that came with it (I'm lazy like that)

this does produce a point though.  You’ll need to take position and hose length into account as well.  If you make a design in which a hose can’t reach you’ll be forced to do that anyway to make things fit.

1 hour ago, ryo0hki said:

Lol..  i just don't want to disassemble the 360 rads that came with it (I'm lazy like that)

Ooof..  that price doh..