EU rules to force USB-C Chargers for all Phones - Apple Not Happy.

christar123

Summary

Manufacturers will be forced to create a universal charging solution under a new rule proposed by the European Commission. Apple has warned such a move would harm innovation.  

Quotes

The aim is to reduce waste by encouraging consumers to re-use existing chargers when buying a new device. All smartphones sold in the EU must have USB-C chargers, the proposal said.

Apple has warned such a move would harm innovation. The tech giant is the main manufacturer of smartphones using a custom charging port, as its iPhone series uses an Apple-made "Lightning" connector. "We remain concerned that strict regulation mandating just one type of connector stifles innovation rather than encouraging it, which in turn will harm consumers in Europe and around the world," the firm told the BBC. It added that it aims to make every Apple device and usage carbon neutral by 2030. Most Android phones come with USB micro-B charging ports, or have already moved to the more modern USB-C standard.

My thoughts

I think having a universal standard like USB C is an amazing Idea. The connector has so much future potential with regards to bandwidth I believe Apple is being stubborn on the topic as usual. when Lighting is such an out of date connector. 

Sources

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58665809

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/23/22626723/eu-commission-universal-charger-usb-c-micro-lightning-connector-smartphones

Apple will just supply a tiny little adapter, C-to-Lightning.

On another note, I actually agree that standardized connectors DO harm innovation. This was evident when all non-apple smartphones used Micro USB, an AWFUL connector by modern standards. If Apple had had it forced upon the iPhone, it would have removed the choice to go with an iPhone for the (at the time) vastly superior lightning connector.

Nowadays, Type C is excellent. High speed, fast charging and a robust shape and build are top notch.

But forcing it as a standard will entrench it for longer than if companies were trying to one-up each other on build quality and ability - it's wonderful right now, and apple should definitely be made to provide an adapter/add it to the iPhone directly, but in a few years we will probably have changed what we want from such a connection and will need a new one - as it stands now, wireless charging is not a green option due to energy wastage.

Thread locked. Please check for existing news posts before posting.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450