HP Pavilion Desktop - AMD Ryzen 5 5600G Upgrade Information Please

kb5zue
Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,

Info for that model: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c07119927 (Click Motherboard Specifications) 

(Costco listed the model number as "TP01-2337c" so I googled it)

Only thing I'm not seeing is information on the PSU or even what cables are included for hooking up a GPU. Would need to see inside it.

As for "upgrading" to a 3800x, I'm not so sure about that unless you're sole use case was heavily multithreaded workloads. Zen3 is faster for most things even down two cores. An upgrade would be a 5600x/5800x but then again, I wouldn't want to run a 5800x in that motherboard with its likely pitiful VRM's. Officially, it says it supports 65W TDP chips which the 5600x is, 5800x is a 105W part.

For gaming, keep the 5600G, its plenty fast, faster than a 3800x. The only real concern is hooking up a GPU.

Budget (including currency): $500-$750 give or take 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  World of Warcraft

https://www.costco.com/hp-pavilion-desktop---amd-ryzen-5-5600g.product.100767850.html

Features:

• AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600G (6-core) Processor
  • Integrated AMD Radeon™ Graphics
  • 1x SuperSpeed USB Type-C
  • USB Wired Keyboard and Mouse Combo
  • DVD-Writer

Okey Dokey......  I build machines but I don't have any experience dealing with Pre-Built desktops.  My question is, is this machine upgradable?  Can I replace the CPU with something like a Ryzen 7 3800X and can I put in a GPU like the 2080 along with increasing the amount of ram from 8Gb to 16Gb?  Would be my luck the insides are all soldered in place so the only way to upgrade would be to toss it out and purchase something else.  With the Covid situation, work has been really slow in my neck of the woods.  I would love to build him something (the machine is for my son's xmas) but at the current GPU prices and my limited budget, that just isn't possible.

Since there are no pictures of the inside of the case, just the outside, there is no way to even guess what I can do with the inside.  If anyone has any experience dealing/upgrading one of these desktops I would really appreciate your input in dealing with the question of upgrading.  Many Thanks in advance.

Info for that model: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c07119927 (Click Motherboard Specifications) 

(Costco listed the model number as "TP01-2337c" so I googled it)

Only thing I'm not seeing is information on the PSU or even what cables are included for hooking up a GPU. Would need to see inside it.

As for "upgrading" to a 3800x, I'm not so sure about that unless you're sole use case was heavily multithreaded workloads. Zen3 is faster for most things even down two cores. An upgrade would be a 5600x/5800x but then again, I wouldn't want to run a 5800x in that motherboard with its likely pitiful VRM's. Officially, it says it supports 65W TDP chips which the 5600x is, 5800x is a 105W part.

For gaming, keep the 5600G, its plenty fast, faster than a 3800x. The only real concern is hooking up a GPU.

eh, not much. PSU mounting is proprietary, so you're not replacing it anytime soon.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Rickeo, many thanks for the response.  From what you said, it is probably just better off if I don't spend any money on an upgrade for this machine.  But it will be a start and it will fill the gap for the present time if we decide to go that route.  Thanks again.

Only 5300G, 5600G and 5700G are compatible with the motherboard. https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c07094657

If you want to replace the cpu for a non G you also need a new motherboard, new case and new PSU because every part is proprietary. If you want to add a GPU you also need to replace the PSU, motherboard and case for the same reason.

15 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Only 5300G, 5600G and 5700G are compatible with the motherboard. https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c07094657

If you want to replace the cpu for a non G you also need a new motherboard, new case and new PSU because every part is proprietary. If you want to add a GPU you also need to replace the PSU, motherboard and case for the same reason.

From a strictly technical perspective, I cannot see why any 65W chip that works with B550 would not work. The documentation I posted lists those three as it likely expects you to need video output. If you have a GPU, there should be no reason why a 5600x should not also work.

8 hours ago, rickeo said:

I cannot see why any 65W chip that works with B550 would not work.

Because it's HP. They prefer you to buy a new PC instead of upgrading.