Sports broadcasting

VONSZEM

Hello! 

I'm in the process of starting a media company to broadcast and produce media around sports, specifically cycling in Sweden (as the current state of things are miserable..). 

Our general plan is to have a high-quality, mobile setup that we can move around to races around the country. So a van (controll center) filled with the necessary equipment. In the van we will have monitors, microphones, computers, networking etc, all rack mounted. 

My questions is, what hardware is necessary to send multiple camera feeds (mobile) to some sort of broadcasting software (were we will add the overlay and commentary) to stream to platforms like YouTube? 

In the areas we're planning on broadcasting there is good cellular. I know I need some type of encoder for the cameras and some sort of decoder for the van. Is there such a system that operates on cellular network and doesn't require line of sight? 

I dont think youd want to run that Via Cellular networking, thats gonna be pretty rough. Generally you will need Inputs via Capture card or something similar, that can take inputs and organize them. This seems more prosumer then anything else so that may be VERY niche

There are high end dedicated encoders/streamers with multi links for that like https://teradek.com/collections/bond-family

Or production switchers/mixers that can stream using a phone: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemmini

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 hours ago, Kilrah said:

There are high end dedicated encoders/streamers with multi links for that like https://teradek.com/collections/bond-family

Or production switchers/mixers that can stream using a phone: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemmini

So I would just plug for example an HDMI cable from the camera into that backpack and thats all we need? Do I need some sort of server to take in multiple camera sources, to switch between camera's and add overlay/commentary? 

Thanks for the response! 

9 hours ago, Shimejii said:

I dont think youd want to run that Via Cellular networking, thats gonna be pretty rough. Generally you will need Inputs via Capture card or something similar, that can take inputs and organize them. This seems more prosumer then anything else so that may be VERY niche

How would I get the camera feed wireless to a capture card? The cameras will be moving (in cars or on the back of a motorbike).

2 hours ago, VONSZEM said:

So I would just plug for example an HDMI cable from the camera into that backpack and thats all we need? Do I need some sort of server to take in multiple camera sources, to switch between camera's and add overlay/commentary? 

Thanks for the response! 

Thats what a switcher like the ATEM mini does. Do you have a home station that is doing editing and switching cameras that your cutting to?

53 minutes ago, VONSZEM said:

How would I get the camera feed wireless to a capture card? The cameras will be moving (in cars or on the back of a motorbike).

Depends on your exact setup, but probably camera > switcher > capture card > streaming system > cellular network.

You can get wireless hdmi transmitters for cameras if needed, but they aren't great unless you buy bandspace for them. I wouldn't use wireless if you don't have to.

You probably want to talk to someone that has experience in this field. This isn't the best forum for broadcast setups.

setting up a full van isn't easy and being mobile brings a whole set of special challenges

wireless video sucks, nothing works well even the thousands of dollar wireless gear that can do 4000ft. most events like this are done using fiber optic connections. fiber is 'cheap' and can carry the bandwidth needed to send 4k video over it. Black magic has some cameras that can have fiber modules added on

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, VONSZEM said:

Well that's a pretty big detail. Taking the feed from a few SDI/HDMI wired cameras into a switcher and making one program that goes into an encoder/streamer is easy with <$10K of gear in total - adding wireless that has to work in these conditions you're easily looking at an additional $20k per cam. Broadcast level wireless is VERY expensive, not only for the gear but the typical tour de france style broadcast has aircraft in flight to operate as relays at thousands per hour of running costs (but the benefit of being able to put an additional aerial cam on it, although that's a few extra thousands per day to rent). 

I.e. if you want to do this either you rent the equipment, hire a specialized company to do it for you, or have very deep pockets to invest into becoming one of the few companies who offer that service.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Well that's a pretty big detail. Taking the feed from a few SDI/HDMI wired cameras into a switcher and making one program that goes into an encoder/streamer is easy with <$10K of gear in total - adding wireless that has to work in these conditions you're easily looking at an additional $20k per cam. Broadcast level wireless is VERY expensive, not only for the gear but the typical tour de france style broadcast has aircraft in flight to operate as relays at thousands per hour of running costs (but the benefit of being able to put an additional aerial cam on it, although that's a few extra thousands per day to rent). 

I.e. if you want to do this either you rent the equipment, hire a specialized company to do it for you, or have very deep pockets to invest into becoming one of the few companies who offer that service.

Yikes 😬, we have a pretty large operating budget but brining in planes is not remotely realistic. We will ofcourse consult with professionals before making any major decisions, I would just like to get a grasp on what is required before reaching out so I don't sound like a complete moron. 

Sounds like the best course of action is to invest in more, but wired cameras and place them thru out the course. That ofcourse requires more personal but from what I understand, getting high-quality wireless broadcasting sounds like a real challenge. 

I've seen some wireless HDMI encoders but those typically only go to 250m and requires line of sight, are there some sort of relays (placed on the ground) that could extend their usable range? 

Is it still really difficult to stream, let's say 1080p at 30 FPS? That would be an improvement on the current state of things here. 

I've seen some wireless HDMI encoders but those typically only go to 250m and requires line of sight, are there some sort of relays (placed on the ground) that could extend their usable range?

Problem with those things is they work fine if both end are stationary, but as soon as one end is moving, the reception tanks.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

nope,

teradeck Ranger can do ~1,500ft line of sight
teradeck Bolt 4k LT Max can do 5,000FT

Is it still really difficult to stream, let's say 1080p at 30 FPS? That would be an improvement on the current state of things here. 

yeah it is wireless with consistency

fiber is the way to do it. there maybe some other IP ways to go but all that is hardlined

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs