USING A PC WITH A TV. QUESTIONS!?

quovadis123

I have never used a pc with a TV and have questions, First questions are regarding native apps on the tv, vs using browsers on the PC:

Then, lastly a sound question.

Some forms of content (Netflix, Amazon Prime) are best viewed from a tv's apps, versus a web browser on a pc? True or false?

For best picture quality native apps have to be used. True or False?

Netflix Dolby Vision can only be played through the native apps on the tv? It can't be played through Netflix on a web browser on a PC? True or False?

Amazon Prime HDR can only be played through the native apps on a TV? True or false? 

If watching content ONLY from the PC, then sound is not a problem, since sound will go through my sound card and out to the headsets.

If I watch some stream from the native tv apps, then how does the sound travel back to the pc? 

I want the sound from the native TV app to travel back to PC, through my sound card, then out to the headsets.

I am really confused.

- it depends on the featureset of the TV's apps and personal preference.

- it depends on the featureset of the TV's apps and personal preference.

- from netflix's own support page: windows 10 app, MS edge, safari on macOS, along with some supported devices.

- amazon's support is garbage, from what i can figure out from there, HDR isnt a thing in general.

- if you're watching from the native TV app, sound doesnt go back to your pc, unless you set up some sort of line in towards the pc, but that's going to introduce a whole bunch of latency. and YES, it is a VERY noticeable amount of latency, and despite what many sotware sellers claim, it is not a problem you can reliably solve in sotware.

if you want sound from two sources into one headset, i'd recommend looking into some basic mixer, or a headset that supports mixing two input sources at one (some support both bluetooth and usb or analog at once)

Most TV will have 2 modes. PC and TV. When your TV is set to PC mode, it will act as a monitor. When you set it back to TV mode it will work like a regular TV and whatever you do on you TV will be independent from your PC.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

(Disclaimer: Everything i say here is from my own experience in regards to what works and doesn't work)

10 hours ago, manikyath said:

- from netflix's own support page: windows 10 app, MS edge, safari on macOS, along with some supported devices.

I have tried so many different things but Netflix HDR just isn't a thing on a PC. Doesn't matter if it's through any browser or the Windows store app, it just doesn't play HDR and there is no manual button or menu where you have any options to enable it inside the Netflix interface.

So far the only way for me to get Dolby Vision or HDR10 on my TV is through it's internal apps.

Streaming boxes like the Nvidia Shield or Apple TV work too, but not PC.

10 hours ago, manikyath said:

- amazon's support is garbage, from what i can figure out from there, HDR isnt a thing in general.

In TV-internal apps Amazon Video will use HDR10 or HDR10+ depending on what your TV supports. HDR is very much a thing on amazon. But again, currently i don't know of a way to make it work on PC.

11 hours ago, quovadis123 said:

Some forms of content (Netflix, Amazon Prime) are best viewed from a tv's apps, versus a web browser on a pc? True or false?

True.

For best picture quality native apps have to be used. True or False?

True.

Netflix Dolby Vision can only be played through the native apps on the tv? It can't be played through Netflix on a web browser on a PC? True or False?

True.

Amazon Prime HDR can only be played through the native apps on a TV? True or false? 

True.

If watching content ONLY from the PC, then sound is not a problem, since sound will go through my sound card and out to the headsets.

If I watch some stream from the native tv apps, then how does the sound travel back to the pc? 

I want the sound from the native TV app to travel back to PC, through my sound card, then out to the headsets.

Afaik there is no way to achieve what you're trying to do.

But if your TV is your main display, just plug in your headset there.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

37 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

n TV-internal apps Amazon Video will use HDR10 or HDR10+ depending on what your TV supports. HDR is very much a thing on amazon. But again, currently i don't know of a way to make it work on PC.

i more so meant that as "from the support pages' perspective it doesnt exist". they literally dont mention any keywords anywhere i could find...

as for the netflix side.. all i can say is "why does this not surprse me"....

Guys, thank you so very much for your answers. That's incredible there exists nothing to make sound go back to PC!!!. Maybe an optical back into a DAC? I will have to try.

What about you tube? Do we have the same problem with you tube? My monitors are 32" 1440p, so not native 4k. The new tv will either be an Lg Oled or a Hisense U8G.

You know all the lovely 4k-8k HDR and DV, jaw dropping clips we play on you tube (Costa Rica, Peru, Bulgaria etc etc), when played through the PC to the tv are they true HDR and DV? OR is you tube going to "look better" using the native apps? (By native apps I mean Roku, Shield, google platform etc).

Using a good headset directly connected to the tv, is not a good solution. I'm sure the sound is crappy.

Can I hook up a DAC to the tv? I do not want to have a sound bar or speakers, I only use either a gaming headset or a high-end (V-Moda crossfade).

So we have already determined that Netflix and Amazon, Hulu, AppleTv+ Must all be played through the native apps AND NOT the pc. So now I have to figure out a way to get optimal sound whilst watching the native apps through a headset.

Couple of thoughts:

1. The reason TV's are incredibly cheap right now, is because YOU are the product.  All your viewing habits on the smart-TV are data being fed back to the MFG and then sold to whomever.  The easiest way to inoculate yourself from this is to simply not use any smart-TV aps, and never put your smart TV on the internet (LAN only).

2. If you have BT capable tv (like my projector is) you can probably route audio output through a pair of BT headphones directly, bypassing the PC.

3. If quality sound output is of prime importance, neither the TV output or the computer output is ideal.  You really want a quality receiver and surround sound to match.

In regards to sound you could get an external DAC with multiple digital inputs, at least one USB and one optical. For PC you can use USB, and for TV you can switch to optical.

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820