Another 3/4-pin fans question

Rosol97
Go to solution Solved by minibois,

4 pin fans that are essentially 3 pin headers, that's quite strange and something I haven't seen before.

a 4 pin PWM fan can still be controlled with voltage control (3 pin), just with a lesser degree of precision than PWM (as in not a smooth curve, but a stair step curve).

11 minutes ago, Rosol97 said:

And what even does the 4th pin in my mobo's headers?

"NC" stands for "No Connection", so the 4th pin on those 3 pin headers does nothing

(pardon my English)

I know, I know it's been asked many times, but I couldn't find any answers to my specific system config.

So I have an old MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo and I want to upgrade the system in a year or so.

Recently I bought a new case with some be quiet! 3-pin fans that are utter sh!t and loud as hck and I want to replace them with some Noctua fans or anything you can suggest below.

The mobo has 3 case fan headers which are non-PWM 4-pins. It's pretty weird but that's what the manual says (and also that's what BIOS says) because most of 4-pin headers that I'm aware of are PWM.

image.png.1fbd0e9548c32546580b76b7639dced6.png

As I mentioned above, the fans I'm currently using are 3-pin and are connected to these 4-pin headers and I can easily control them with voltage via a fan curve set in BIOS.

So if I want to buy a new mobo in the future that has PWM fan headers, will new 4-pin PWM fans work for now in my current mobo headers (as they're treated like 3-pin fans) and can I still control them like 3-pin fans?

4 pin fans that are essentially 3 pin headers, that's quite strange and something I haven't seen before.

a 4 pin PWM fan can still be controlled with voltage control (3 pin), just with a lesser degree of precision than PWM (as in not a smooth curve, but a stair step curve).

11 minutes ago, Rosol97 said:

"NC" stands for "No Connection", so the 4th pin on those 3 pin headers does nothing

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

i would just use the cpu fan header and get a splitor /powered hub.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links