No root file systems is defined

I was given by some family a Acer Cloudbook it doesn't have very good specs but i figured maybe there would be way to repurpose it for something. It was always slow and i did wanna use a hack version of windows so i decided to try a barebones version of Linux. I did a little google search a decided on mint. I've went through the download process up til downloading the OS onto the internal storage where, when i select the internal storage i get a no root file system is defined Please correct this from the partition menu. i followed the instructions a opened the partition menu and tried to partition off the drive and a i get a error (Don't know how to create this partition table of this type `(null) `(udisks-error-quark,0)

I tried to format the drive a I get a weird error too. I have no clue what I've done HELP

You can't simply download the .iso file and then try to boot from it. You need to "burn" the .iso to a USB stick, then boot from the USB stick to install the OS, same way you'd do it for Windows. There should be instructions on the Mint website: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/burn.html

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

did you delete all of the old partitions first?  
what format are you trying to give it? ex-FAT? 

see the above post too. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

6 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

You can't simply download the .iso file and then try to boot from it. You need to "burn" the .iso to a USB stick, then boot from the USB stick to install the OS, same way you'd do it for Windows. There should be instructions on the Mint website: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/burn.html

I did excalty that i used belena etcherand put it on a flashdrive and all it did was put the Os BACK on the flash drive it wouldnt install on the internal storage 

8 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

did you delete all of the old partitions first?  
what format are you trying to give it? ex-FAT? 

see the above post too. 

Yes twice i completely erase it and tried again only thing i havent tried is to delete the flash drive and reinstall it. And FAT and i tried MBR/DOS same result for both

1 minute ago, GoldengamerZ07 said:

Yes twice i completely erase it and tried again only thing i havent tried is to delete the flash drive and reinstall it. And FAT and i tried MBR/DOS same result for both

so you have a bootable USB, you're deleted the target SSD/HDD's partitions, and you'd unable to install the OS onto the target drive because it can't create a root directory?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

3 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

so you have a bootable USB, you're deleted the target SSD/HDD's partitions, and you'd unable to install the OS onto the target drive because it can't create a root directory?

Does Linux need a partition? If so then why wont it let me make a new one?

Just now, GoldengamerZ07 said:

When you boot from USB and start the installation process, there should come a step where you need to select a drive to install on. It should say something like partition automatically or do it manually. There should be a way to select the drive you want to install on. It doesn't let you select the internal drive there?

every operating system needs a partition. 

your disc needs to be partitioned and formatted in a file system that linux will accept. (like ex-FAT)

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

When you boot from USB and start the installation process, there should come a step where you need to select a drive to install on. It should say something like partition automatically or do it manually. There should be a way to select the drive you want to install on. It doesn't let you select the internal drive 

When i get to the installation menu i can click the drive i want but when i click install it thats when it throws the no root directory error

4 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

every operating system needs a partition. 

your disc needs to be partitioned and formatted in a file system that linux will accept. (like ex-FAT)

Ok so i tryed to partition the disc and it gives me a (null) (udisk-error-quark,0) andy ideas on that?

1 minute ago, GoldengamerZ07 said:

Ok so i tryed to partition the disc and it gives me a (null) (udisk-error-quark,0) andy ideas on that?

did you format it?

1 minute ago, VioDuskar said:

did you format it?

Error synchonzing after initial wipe:timed out waiting for object (udisks-error-quark,0

Error synchonzing after initial wipe:timed out waiting for object (udisks-error-quark,0

i'd try to wipe the USB tool and set it up again. something is funky. 
try another distro of linux and see if you have the same issues? 

is the disk healthy?

Just now, VioDuskar said:

i'd try to wipe the USB tool and set it up again. something is funky. 
try another distro of linux and see if you have the same issues? 

is the disk healthy?

Will do and yes it ran windows literally 2 days ago 0 issues

20 minutes ago, GoldengamerZ07 said:

Could be this bug: https://askubuntu.com/questions/377253/unable-to-format-usb-drive-with-disks-udisks-error-quark-0

Kind of a hacky solution but should either work or tell us the drive is bad

1: Boot from a Windows installer

2: Press Shift+F10

3: Type diskpart

4: Type select disk 0

5: Type clean

6: Type exit

7: Shut down

8: Try installing Mint again

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

If you can boot from the Linux Mint live USB then it might be a good idea to check out the partitions on the hard drive you're trying to install to using a utility like gParted; see if linux is picking up the drive at all. You should see at least two drives from the live USB; the usb drive itself and the built-in drive.

On 9/4/2021 at 4:50 PM, dag_dg said:

If you can boot from the Linux Mint live USB then it might be a good idea to check out the partitions on the hard drive you're trying to install to using a utility like gParted; see if linux is picking up the drive at all. You should see at least two drives from the live USB; the usb drive itself and the built-in drive.

Yes I see the usb and the internal drive. Knowing that I can partition the internal drive all I want but when i try to install mint or puppy(haven't tried any other distros)is says there are no partition on that drive. But it the internal drive shouldn't be corrupt I would think because I ran windows on it just 3 days prior

Have you tried grabbing the standalone ISO for GParted and seeing what that makes of the drive?

https://gparted.org/download.php

That error seems to imply you're using an older version of whatever FS Manager Mint ships with (probably because you're using an older version of Mint), GParted should allow you to preconfigure the drive ready for Mint to use.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)