Steam Deck Competitors are ALREADY Here

Plouffe

We tried both AMD and Intel versions of the GPD Win Max, a "handheld" portable computer for gaming on the go. Can it beat the Aya Neo, and can it rival what we've seen from the Steam Deck so far?

Buy GPD Win Max 2021

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/6c0HvC

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/A4uk

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Excellent video! I was wondering how the new GPD Win Max would stack up.

Quick correction, I don't believe this is the first GPD product with Xe graphics. The GPD Win 3 that you guys previewed a while back also has Xe graphics, though it may be a different generation. I bring this up because Doom Eternal also stutters like crazy on the Win 3, just like what you experienced making this video. I posted an issue report on Intel's graphics forums and it sounds like a known driver issue and their engineers are working on it.

Playing around with Xe graphics has been wild. Some games that you think would work fine don't work at all, but I have to say Intel's fixes generally come out pretty quick. A recently example is Persona 4 Golden, which didn't work at all on Xe graphics. Intel just released a driver update that fixed it, but it was surprising that such a simple game graphically would need special consideration.

Overall I'm happy with my Win 3, but it really shows that Intel's driver maturity is going to hold the Xe graphics based systems behind AMD, for now. I'm hoping that now that Intel is getting into the DGPU space, their mobile graphics drivers will also improve.

Edited by EvilTelephone
Changed wording on some sentences to be less assumptive.

When an 8 inch handheld has better connectivity than a XPS 17 LOL. GPD is definitely onto something or madly old school. Either way I love handheld PC's with full keyboards on them. They are useful for more than just gaming, way easier to carry than a laptop and way more capable than a tablet.

Now if GPD could get past that Rising Sun Electronics image and put a bit of effort into their retail sales I'd be down to buying their product. How their customer support goes is an entirely separate issue, but just the fact their "buy now" button on their website doesn't even work is a glaring example of how poorly handled this outfit is operating. I just hope they can get their act together and not go the way of Viliv.

8:02 - With motion blur turned off.

Good, because fuck motion blur!

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

It's always funny when someone who isn't from the GTA tries to pronounce, "Toronto."

It's "cherono!" :P

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy