Office 365 on POP OS

Stefan Mostert

Hi all,

What is the best way to install office 365 on PopOS.

and.... go!

Does it have to be Office 365? Could you use LibreOffice instead?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

looked for a solution for this (Linux generally) and only way use O365 on linux that i could find is running it within a windows vm, which obviously is a huge overhead or use the webapps. There are no native O365 Apps for Linux and last time I checked, wine did not support anything newer than office 2006.

It could be that in the mean time, since i last checked, something change but this is as far as I know.

Hope someone else can help you with this, if I find the time i might check this further and report my new findings here. Otherwise maybe check other sites and probaly within this forum too, as this is a question often asked.

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

Does it have to be Office 365? Could you use LibreOffice instead?

I need to use Outlook and unfortunately Libre does not have the same features.

2 hours ago, NZgamer said:

There's a few ways you can go about doing this.

You can use a program called CrossOver, it's a paid fork of wine that will happily run O365. It's a one time payment of USD$60. That works quite well but it is unfortunately expensive if you are just using it to run Office with it. 

If you're willing to run something like Office 2013, that will run quite well under PlayOnLinux, I've used it before so I can say that it is pretty decent.

Those are probably your only options on getting the native Office apps to run under Linux. Of course there's Office Online if you don't mind using your web browser and using OneDrive.

I will look into this, I have started to install the software and will try out the trail 🙂

But will need something free.

1 hour ago, NealonHQ said:

looked for a solution for this (Linux generally) and only way use O365 on linux that i could find is running it within a windows vm, which obviously is a huge overhead or use the webapps. There are no native O365 Apps for Linux and last time I checked, wine did not support anything newer than office 2006.

It could be that in the mean time, since i last checked, something change but this is as far as I know.

Hope someone else can help you with this, if I find the time i might check this further and report my new findings here. Otherwise maybe check other sites and probaly within this forum too, as this is a question often asked.

Installing a VM will be a good idea but that is defeating the purpose of moving away from Windows. But please I am also going to do a bit of research if you find any solution please post here 🙂

12 hours ago, Stefan Mostert said:

It's been a long time since I have used Outlook, but what about Kontact (Might feel out of place on GNOME as it's a KDE Application Suite) or Thunderbird?

Office 365 is unreliable under WINE, if you can even get it to install successfully. I would recommend picking Linux alternatives, even if they aren't on par with what they are replacing. Otherwise for any Windows software you depend on, your best option is to use a Virtual Machine.

On 8/26/2021 at 9:59 PM, Stefan Mostert said:

I will look into this, I have started to install the software and will try out the trail 🙂

But will need something free.

Installing a VM will be a good idea but that is defeating the purpose of moving away from Windows. But please I am also going to do a bit of research if you find any solution please post here 🙂

I dual boot Linux for my work laptop, and I use OnlyOffice (https://www.onlyoffice.com/).  The core products (Spreadsheets, Writer & Presentations) are free.   

They support the Office formats great, and have the same theming.  A lot of my work consists of writing docs and I can write a doc in OnlyOffice and it comes out looking like it was made in Word. 

If you are using Outlook for work, you should be able to access the web version of your client at https://portal.office.com  Otherwise, they should offer an OTA portal for on-prem Exchange which will allow you to view your email from the web browser. 

As someone who uses Outlook for work, I can say with confidence that the online versions perform signficantly better than the local installed Outlook, since Outlook loves to freeze every hour or so. 

If you don't use Outlook for work and just want an email client, I suggest going with something tired and tested like Mozilla Thunderbird.  Beware that using a local email client can reduce your email security, because you normally have to generate an authentication token or something on your email provider to bypass 2FA.  

Hope this helps. 

• 3 weeks later...

yeh, try the web versions first, see if you can do everything you need on them.  I'd say from what I've come across 90% of people can do 100% of what they need in the web version.