r9 3900x running with too high voltage

Go to solution Solved by SorryBella,
4 minutes ago, Belgar said:

Reported Voltage in HW info, Cpu-z and ryzen master climbs to 1.45V

Welcome to Ryzen. Their idle is ludicrously high, around 1.42-1.45V. This is normal behavior, unless if its not going down when youre putting it under load.

Hi,

as a title suggested, my 3900X draws too much Voltage stock. Basically, I start my PC, log into windows and open Ryzen master everytime I boot. Reported Voltage in HW info, Cpu-z and ryzen master climbs to 1.45V before I apply my manual OC in ryzen master at 1.325v. I get random blue screens of death during booting or when I forget to turn on my other profile in Ryzen Master. I Tried to manually restrict voltage in bios to 1.2V max but its not working. My mobo is X570 AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0). Please can you help me with lowering the default voltage low enough to not cause instability?

Thank you in advance

Reported Voltage in HW info, Cpu-z and ryzen master climbs to 1.45V

Welcome to Ryzen. Their idle is ludicrously high, around 1.42-1.45V. This is normal behavior, unless if its not going down when youre putting it under load.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

Its weird then. Most people say dont touch ryzen OC, but I have higher clocks with lower voltage with OC. I even managed 4.2Ghz on half of the cores and 4.1 the other at 1.15V, which barely makes sense, because It boost stock that much at 1.45V.

33 minutes ago, Belgar said:

Its weird then. Most people say dont touch ryzen OC, but I have higher clocks with lower voltage with OC. I even managed 4.2Ghz on half of the cores and 4.1 the other at 1.15V, which barely makes sense, because It boost stock that much at 1.45V.

Yep, that's Ryzen. The all-core loads use the lowest voltages. Single core uses the highest.

Stock is up to 1.5V during single core boost. That's normal. 

If you're getting BSOD on stock, that's not normal. 

15 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Stock is up to 1.5V during single core boost. That's normal. 

If you're getting BSOD on stock, that's not normal. 

But I only get blue screen either right when I power up my PC or before I apply my manual OC. After that It almost never happen so I guess it must be something with the cpu and i have 1.45+V on all cores on start up not just 1 or 2

edit: hell yeah, location slovakia: cauko

That’s a lot for an all core load.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

That’s a lot for an all core load.

Yeah I was suspecting that. I have no idea how to reduce it. My manual OC only applies after ryzen master opens and OC is applied. So from boot to that point my cpu is drawing that much. I tried to limit it in bios but maybe I did it wrong? anyway its not working

It will vary still. Try prime 95 smallest fft and I could almost bet you wont hit anything near 1.4V with auto settings.

5 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

It will vary still. Try prime 95 smallest fft and I could almost bet you wont hit anything near 1.4V with auto settings.

It wont, but I am not comfortable running above 1,45V. Those max V are in Idle, during quick cinnebench it was around 1.35-1.36 at 4.2Ghz all cores which are not even good clocks. I can get 4.2Ghz clocks at 1.2V on manual OC.

image.png.661be5b6b585a04e370e6d31d7fb4e47.png

Just now, Belgar said:

It wont, but I am not comfortable running above 1,45V. Those max V are in Idle, during quick cinnebench it was around 1.35-1.36 at 4.2Ghz all cores which are not even good clocks. I can get 4.2Ghz clocks at 1.2V on manual OC.

image.png.661be5b6b585a04e370e6d31d7fb4e47.png

Thats the normal boost. If amd is comfortable with it, I am too.

3 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Thats the normal boost. If amd is comfortable with it, I am too.

Im getting blue screens with default settings. So its not really comfortable in my case.

Im getting blue screens with default settings. So its not really comfortable in my case.

I would update bios and run memtest then. Cpu is faulty if you cant run it stock stable and under warranty should be an easy swap.

14 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

I would update bios and run memtest then. Cpu is faulty if you cant run it stock stable and under warranty should be an easy swap.

Well im out of warranty sadly and have latest Bios. The longer story is that I bought combo mobo+cpu some time ago. The mobo died on me a year ago. It might did some damage to CPU that is showing later on? Because it started around the time I bought the new mobo.

I thought you set it to 1.45, which is bad. 1.45 on its own is good, not gonna hurt it probably focus on your cooling since it is a 12 core part.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

3 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I thought you set it to 1.45, which is bad. 1.45 on its own is good, not gonna hurt it probably focus on your cooling since it is a 12 core part.

my cooling is very good. I never saw it over 70c even during stress testing for long period. I kinda like building overkill stuff for some reason so I have tripple rad with 6 noctua fans mounted in front.

15 minutes ago, Belgar said:

Well im out of warranty sadly and have latest Bios. The longer story is that I bought combo mobo+cpu some time ago. The mobo died on me a year ago. It might did some damage to CPU that is showing later on? Because it started around the time I bought the new mobo.

Is it stable with 1.15V 4.1GHz in Prime95 smallest fft?

1 minute ago, Jeppes said:

Is it stable with 1.15V 4.1GHz in Prime95 smallest fft?

never stress tested it for long period. But it was stable for multiple cinnebench runs and hours of usage.