Is there a 16 core laptop you can get in US that does not have loud fans? If not whats a good reliable 8 core laptop thats is super fast?

im using this for work and not for gaming so graphics are not a big deal, Im looking for something dependable 5 years or more, up to 3k on price is ok.

I'm not even aware of any 16 core laptops, leave alone a "quiet" one. Stuffing a 5950X in a laptop is not going to be easy to cool...

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

What programs are you using?

Don't look at core count alone, there is much more than that to performance?

HOw much does weight matter? What screen size do ou want?

2 minutes ago, newguy12 said:

im using this for work and not for gaming so graphics are not a big deal, Im looking for something dependable 5 years or more, up to 3k on price is ok.

You're asking the impossible, at least by today's standards. More cores means more power, which means more heat. Fewer cores but with higher power means even more heat than that. The only way to get rid of that heat is to have sufficient cooling.

This is why high end laptops are all basically shit. Get a good desktop and a mid range laptop for your portable needs.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What programs are you using?

Don't look at core count alone, there is much more than that to performance?

HOw much does weight matter? What screen size do ou want?

weight does not matter and 17 or bigger would be nice, im just so overwhelmed with choices and dont know where to start. thanks

13 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

You're asking the impossible, at least by today's standards. More cores means more power, which means more heat. Fewer cores but with higher power means even more heat than that. The only way to get rid of that heat is to have sufficient cooling.

This is why high end laptops are all basically shit. Get a good desktop and a mid range laptop for your portable needs.

gotcha, do you have any recommendations for a decent 8 core 16 ram or bigger?

That kind of budget? Dell Precision 7560 workstation machines maybe?

3 minutes ago, rickeo said:

That kind of budget? Dell Precision 7560 workstation machines maybe?

3 k max and anything in a laptop form

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

so should I focus on cores? whats the difference between 6 and 8 cores, could a 6 core be faster than a 8? is there a short video or something you would recommend on educating me on all this?

2 hours ago, newguy12 said:

gotcha, do you have any recommendations for a decent 8 core 16 ram or bigger?

For a laptop I don't recommend anything over 4 cores. There's a good reason even a 6 core laptop is common. They're just bad ideas. You can't lug around enough cooling. I have trouble cooling my quad core.

To answer your other question, there are a ton of cases where more cores is the same speed or even slower than fewer. Bigger number doesn't mean better. We need to know what you're trying to do.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 8/24/2021 at 11:13 PM, JoostinOnline said:

For a laptop I don't recommend anything over 4 cores. There's a good reason even a 6 core laptop is common. They're just bad ideas. You can't lug around enough cooling. I have trouble cooling my quad core.

To answer your other question, there are a ton of cases where more cores is the same speed or even slower than fewer. Bigger number doesn't mean better. We need to know what you're trying to do.

That's not true. My 8 core slim laptop doesn't break out of the 80s under full load. There's plenty of adequately cooled 8 core laptops.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

On 8/25/2021 at 11:04 PM, Roswell said:

That's not true. My 8 core slim laptop doesn't break out of the 80s under full load. There's plenty of adequately cooled 8 core laptops.

What kind of cores? I'm obviously talking about specifically x86 architecture. I assume you have an ARM CPU, and that's comparing apples to...peanuts. Low power high efficiency cores are hardly the same thing.