Can't start pump, custom loop

So, I've jumped the power supply, disconnected everything except the sata-4pin adapter that's connected to the pump & it isn't pumping.

I just wanted to see the motor spin before I go full send & fill the reservoir but I've tried powering it on with 4 different PSUs & same thing, PSU on, pump doesn't go. Does it need water to run? Has anyone filled a loop like this who can help me out?

IMG_20210823_155344420_HDR.jpg

3 minutes ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

So, I've jumped the power supply, disconnected everything except the sata-4pin adapter that's connected to the pump & it isn't pumping.

I just wanted to see the motor spin before I go full send & fill the reservoir but I've tried powering it on with 4 different PSUs & same thing, PSU on, pump doesn't go. Does it need water to run? Has anyone filled a loop like this who can help me out?

Oof, don't ever run a pump dry, you can in some cases like the D5 insta-kill it.

Put water in, try it again. If it doesn't work we can try some more diagnostics, but you may have already killed it.

Is it a DDC pump?

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Oof, don't ever run a pump dry, you can in some cases like the D5 insta-kill it.

Put water in, try it again. If it doesn't work we can try some more diagnostics, but you may have already killed it.

Is it a DDC pump?

This is the pump, I didn't install it, I got it from a guy in a parking lot

1629810187371212999920132743046.jpg

The pump should be powered by a 4-pin fan header, is this the case for you?

https://bitspower.com/download_installation_guide_file.php?product_id=7835

The warranty will be void if any of the situations below happen

【PUMP】

- Pump damage from pump operation without any liquid.

- Pump damage caused by water leak on the pump's PCB.

- Water tank has been separated from the pump.

As you can see, running the pump without liquid is a bad enough action that it will void the warranty.

Anyway, try again with liquid, and report back.

12 minutes ago, For Science! said:

The pump should be powered by a 4-pin fan header, is this the case for you?

https://bitspower.com/download_installation_guide_file.php?product_id=7835

As you can see, running the pump without liquid is a bad enough action that it will void the warranty.

Anyway, try again with liquid, and report back.

Well good news is there's no leaks in the loop.

Bad news is the pump isn't going so now I have to drain the line & buy a new pump don't I?

Just now, Beat_my_Laptop said:

Well good news is there's no leaks in the loop.

Bad news is the pump isn't going so now I have to drain the line & buy a new pump don't I?

Can you plug a fan into the adapter to confirm that you have power going to the pump - the pinout is the same. If the fan rotates fine, and the pump does not, a faulty pump is suspect. Although I would still dissassemble once, clean everything, confirm the pump is not clogged and then put it back and try it again.

PS you do not know if there are any leaks until you have it running for a few hours.

13 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Can you plug a fan into the adapter to confirm that you have power going to the pump - the pinout is the same. If the fan rotates fine, and the pump does not, a faulty pump is suspect. Although I would still dissassemble once, clean everything, confirm the pump is not clogged and then put it back and try it again.

PS you do not know if there are any leaks until you have it running for a few hours.

Both the fan & the power cable for the pump are female plugs I can't just plug it in

1 minute ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

Both the fan & the power cable for the pump are female plugs I can't just plug it in

How were you powering the pump previously then? I just want you to power a fan using the setup that you were using to power the pump. It should be really simple.

3 minutes ago, For Science! said:

How were you powering the pump previously then? I just want you to power a fan using the setup that you were using to power the pump. It should be really simple.

The pump has a male plug coming off of the pump itself, I was powering it with a female plug connected to the PSU

2 minutes ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

The pump has a male plug coming off of the pump itself, I was powering it with a female plug connected to the PSU

And a fan has a male plug too no? So plug it in to the female plug connected to the PSU too

3 minutes ago, For Science! said:

And a fan has a male plug too no? So plug it in to the female plug connected to the PSU too

The fan has a female plug as well, unless I've mixed up which is the RGB & which is the power

16298133820255089246158521660040.jpg

2 minutes ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

The fan has a female plug as well, unless I've mixed up which is the RGB & which is the power

16298133820255089246158521660040.jpg

I am getting lost as to what you are actually doing, but sounds like you are in a bit of a mess. The right header with 3 golden pins is an RGB header, the left is a 4-pin fan header to power the pump. I cannot tell what the connection is on the back, maybe SATA power?

Please read carefully when people are trying to help and respond clearly.

We cannot see what you do, so keep that in mind. Tell clearly what you have done what you expect and what that actual result is.

Make sure if the pump wont work, that you test the power source. Just like @For Science! tried to explain.

Check picture to see what is what.
(the male 3 pinned one is just for (a)RGB)!!!

Screenshot_158.png

The fan should have a similar (2, 3 or) 4 pin connector. Which should have already told you which is the right connector. 😉

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

11 minutes ago, For Science! said:

I am getting lost as to what you are actually doing, but sounds like you are in a bit of a mess. The right header with 3 golden pins is an RGB header, the left is a 4-pin fan header to power the pump. I cannot tell what the connection is on the back, maybe SATA power?

All 3 of those are the fan's cables

6 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Please read carefully when people are trying to help and respond clearly.

We cannot see what you do, so keep that in mind. Tell clearly what you have done what you expect and what that actual result is.

Make sure if the pump wont work, that you test the power source. Just like @For Science! tried to explain.

Check picture to see what is what.
(the male 3 pinned one is just for (a)RGB)!!!

Screenshot_158.png

The fan should have a similar (2, 3 or) 4 pin connector. Which should have already told you which is the right connector. 😉

I know which is which, I've tried 4 different PSUs. The pump is clearly dead & y'all's second guessing whether I know the difference between a male & female 4pin is not helpful.

4 minutes ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

I know which is which, I've tried 4 different PSUs. The pump is clearly dead & y'all's second guessing whether I know the difference between a male & female 4pin is not helpful.

Ok, but you put the doubt in the topic no one else. 😉
We are just trying to help, if you cant be clear about what the problem is or how to fix it.
Dont expect us to understand it by guessing.
You dont answer questions, confusing everything even further. We do wish to help.

Let us!!!

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 minute ago, Beat_my_Laptop said:

All 3 of those are the fan's cables

The header on the left side labelled 4-pin PWM power by @HanZie82delivers power to the fan. As far as I can see, this header should be the same header as what is on the pump. I am asking you once more to connect a fan in-place of the pump to confirm that your jumped PSU is delivering 12 V via the adapter to the correct pinout. 

It would be a great deal helpful if you could actually just take a picture of every single cable adapter connection you have going.

PSU --> Adapter

Adapter --> Pump

4 minutes ago, For Science! said:

The header on the left side labelled 4-pin PWM power by @HanZie82delivers power to the fan. As far as I can see, this header should be the same header as what is on the pump. I am asking you once more to connect a fan in-place of the pump to confirm that your jumped PSU is delivering 12 V via the adapter to the correct pinout. 

It would be a great deal helpful if you could actually just take a picture of every single cable adapter connection you have going.

PSU --> Adapter

Adapter --> Pump

Pump16298151637912196197934444451875.thumb.jpg.4657cbf87a441124d77ef837e2fcdad9.jpg

Pumps typical power source16298152855556667497132343716413.thumb.jpg.e79bcbc166a0fee567d0890c873e81f2.jpg

The PSU to sata to 4pin1629815345856877601164538956032.thumb.jpg.9068dca25d3ff6e01fb2347d2432f5c6.jpg

Just now, Beat_my_Laptop said:

Pump

Pumps typical power source

The PSU to sata to 4pin

Just to also confirm, the SATA power cable is the original cable that came with this exact PSU model right? No mix-matching PSU cables from different PSU models/brands

I would also like to see a photo of the connection between the SATA-power and the pump power cable (i.e. the other side of the 2nd photo). The connector in the 3rd photo doesn't look to be the same connector.