MSI Prestige 14 Evo vs Lenovo IdeaPad 5 - which is better?

Hi everyone,

Here are the two laptops in question:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097T93ZCN/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L54PW2P/

I am having trouble deciding which laptop to go with. I plan on doing a lot of programming and Matlab (maybe even a simulation or two) as well as daily productivity tasks. However, I value battery life and general usage experience a lot too. I hear that the MSI gets hot and loud, and it also doesn't have an HDMI port. The Lenovo is heavier and $100 more expensive (MSI has a rebate).

Will the Ryzen 5 4600U offer more performance than the i5-1135G7 for Matlab and programming?

Is there a clear winner here? Or is it really as close as I'm making it? Are there other options that are similarly spec'd that I should take a look at?

Thanks!

You won't notice a diference. i5 will ha ve slightly more Single Core performance, Ryzen 4600U will have slightly more Multicore. Both are perfectly fine.

100 Dollar less is a good argument here, i don't see how one is clearly better than the other, they seem similar.

However, don't get either. Ideapad 5 with Ryzen 4000 are often half Metal, half Plastic build. If you get an ideapad 5, the newest Series with Ryzen 5000 (5500u).

But get an Ideapad 5 Pro 14" with an INCREDIBILIE 2880x1800 Screen, 400 nits brightness, 16:10 ratio, 90 Hz and 100% sRGB, it's really REALLY damn good. Also, with modern Ryzen 5000 series.

Or, Ideapad 5 non-Pro, but Ryzen 5000 series.

4 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

You won't notice a diference. i5 will ha ve slightly more Single Core performance, Ryzen 4600U will have slightly more Multicore. Both are perfectly fine.

100 Dollar less is a good argument here, i don't see how one is clearly better than the other, they seem similar.

However, don't get either. Ideapad 5 with Ryzen 4000 are often half Metal, half Plastic build. If you get an ideapad 5, the newest Series with Ryzen 5000 (5500u).

But get an Ideapad 5 Pro 14" with an INCREDIBILIE 2880x1800 Screen, 400 nits brightness, 16:10 ratio, 90 Hz and 100% sRGB, it's really REALLY damn good. Also, with modern Ryzen 5000 series.

Or, Ideapad 5 non-Pro, but Ryzen 5000 series.

I don't think I can find that model in the USA unfortunately unless I am missing something.