Is there a program that limits CPU power usage during night?

I’m building a DIY Plex server and wondering if I can limit the CPU power usage during the night.

you could use msi afterburner i think, or any *over/under clocking sdoftware
EDIT: *undevolt/overclockking software

Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

But can it be done automatically like from 11pm to 7 am?

Are you running windows or linux?

Why do you want to limit the power usage artificially?

Could you not have 2 desktop icons for instant power plan changes, its not automatic although you can task schedule either to be run I guess at a time frame.

There are guides for creating shortcuts to power plan swaps. Setting a Min/Max CPU of whatever % you choose for your Saving plan Icon 1..and Unlocked for Icon 2.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

5 minutes ago, Quis said:

Are you running windows or linux?

Why do you want to limit the power usage artificially?

For the operation system I haven’t decided yet  because I haven’t built the computer yet since it’s for a Plex server it doesn’t need much performance during the night and I’d like to save a little bit of power

2 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Could you not have 2 desktop icons for instant power plan changes, its not automatic although you can task schedule either to be run I guess at a time frame.

There are guides for creating shortcuts to power plan swaps. Setting a Min/Max CPU of whatever % you choose for your Saving plan Icon 1..and Unlocked for Icon 2.

I’d like it to be automatic because I’ll probably forget and I’d like to not really worry about it 

5 minutes ago, We23People said:

For the operation system I haven’t decided yet  because I haven’t built the computer yet since it’s for a Plex server it doesn’t need much performance during the night and I’d like to save a little bit of power

definitely recommend linux, since you can script things like downclocking your cpu. (https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/CPU_frequency_scaling#Setting_maximum_and_minimum_frequencies )

Also if there isn't anything running actively, it shouldN'T be using much power anyway.

2 minutes ago, Quis said:

definitely recommend linux, since you can script things like downclocking your cpu. (https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/CPU_frequency_scaling#Setting_maximum_and_minimum_frequencies )

Also if there isn't anything running actively, it should be using much power anyway.

Okey thanks I’ll look into it 

2 minutes ago, We23People said:

Okey thanks I’ll look into it 

A little script using that link and a CRON job should do it, good luck

Plex servers are overrated. Just have external HDD with personal collection of what you want to re-watch.

New content is easier to stream, rather than pre-download and mess with transcoding.

1 minute ago, RageTester said:

Plex servers are overrated. Just have external HDD with personal collection of what you want to re-watch.

New content is easier to stream, rather than pre-download and mess with transcoding.

I plan to share it with family and friends so your solution doesn’t really work

3 hours ago, We23People said:

I’d like it to be automatic because I’ll probably forget and I’d like to not really worry about it 

It was mentioned you can automate it with Windows Task Scheduler...
Whenever you want one of them to Start, input the Time slot and Switch back on the second Time slot you choose.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I'm trying to work out why you'd need to. If it's not in use it's going to be basically idling anyway, and power usage is going to be pretty low.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop