School laptop

Go to solution Solved by Slottr,
Just now, Opeb said:

İs the base model good? and do you have any windows suggestions?

Base model should be more than enough to get you through your degree. I upgraded mine to 16 GBs of memory for some heavy tasks but 8 should really be fine, I don't ever really go over 8 often.

When it comes to windows, you're kind of put in a hard place. There's going to be a point in your degree where you'll have to write in C, bash, or any other thing that is easier to work with in Linux. You'll most likely end up installing a flavour of Linux to have an easier time with that stuff, which is why I highly recommend the macbook. 

For running a Linux system, I've had good luck with the XPS systems, and Lenovos thinkpads 

Looking for a laptop good for school not too heavy and a decent batters would be nice gaming doesn’t matter my budget is 1000 CAD can go a little bit above if neccesary i will be really happy if i can get help

Just now, Slottr said:

What kind of school?

University computer science

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Easily the Macbook Air

Just now, Opeb said:

Base model should be more than enough to get you through your degree. I upgraded mine to 16 GBs of memory for some heavy tasks but 8 should really be fine, I don't ever really go over 8 often.

When it comes to windows, you're kind of put in a hard place. There's going to be a point in your degree where you'll have to write in C, bash, or any other thing that is easier to work with in Linux. You'll most likely end up installing a flavour of Linux to have an easier time with that stuff, which is why I highly recommend the macbook. 

For running a Linux system, I've had good luck with the XPS systems, and Lenovos thinkpads 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

11 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Okay i will look at macbook air i believe there is education discounts on apples website thank you for sparing your time for me

17 minutes ago, Opeb said:

Only the ones with the M1 are good, the other ones have poor value. 

For Windows an Asus Vivobook should be a good choice, get the highest model in your budget

5 minutes ago, Opeb said:

Okay i will look at macbook air i believe there is education discounts on apples website thank you for sparing your time for me

For sure.

They have a promo right now where they'll give you free airpods with a macbook purchase as well. Or upgrade to Airpod pros for like 100 bucks. 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

i'm all in for the M1 Air, it's awesome.

Windows alternative, idk if i'd take a midrange Vivobook, probably not. At least a Zenbook, if it has to be an Asus, but there are better options.

Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro with Ryzen 7 5800h, 512gb SSD, 16gb Ram.

Battery life is good, cooling is good (it can hold more than 3 ghz on all 8 cores), and one of the best Displays in a Windows Laptop: 2880x1800, 16:10, 100% sRGB, 400 nits, 90 Hz.

Also, good Linux Support.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Yoga-Slim-7-Pro-14ACH5-in-review-14-inch-powerhouse-with-good-battery-life.554871.0.html