Buying similar domains and forwarding

Tom09
Go to solution Solved by VectorTech,
1 minute ago, Tom09 said:

Is it possible to buy a domain name that is similar to the domain of a company like amazon but is miss spelt like "amazo.com" and forwarding it to amazon. Also could you get paid in affiliate fees like for how many people come over from your domain. Sorry if this is a stupid question couldn't find an answer elsewhere.

Yes, you likely could- however most companies who are smart at all purchase misspellings / alternate versions of their domain, ex. facebook.com and fb.com.

Also anything similar to any major company would be worth $$$, and anyone who goes to your version of the domain only to see an ad will likely realize they just typed the domain wrong, and lastly most web browsers will just "did you mean to search for _____" instead of the misspelled search term.

Is it possible to buy a domain name that is similar to the domain of a company like amazon but is miss spelt like "amazo.com" and forwarding it to amazon. Also could you get paid in affiliate fees like for how many people come over from your domain. Sorry if this is a stupid question couldn't find an answer elsewhere.

What you described here is technically can be called phishing.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Tom09 said:

Yes, you likely could- however most companies who are smart at all purchase misspellings / alternate versions of their domain, ex. facebook.com and fb.com.

Also anything similar to any major company would be worth $$$, and anyone who goes to your version of the domain only to see an ad will likely realize they just typed the domain wrong, and lastly most web browsers will just "did you mean to search for _____" instead of the misspelled search term.

Data Systems Administrator | Sergeant - US Marine Corps | CCNA / SEC+

Ryzen 9 5950x | 64 GB DDR4 3600Mhz | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti | Full Build Info | HomeLab Setup

1 minute ago, Levent said:

What you described here is technically can be called phishing.

Phishing is an attempt to steal information / gain access to a system, not purchasing a similar domain. It's more similar to domain spoofing / lookalike attack.

Ryzen 9 5950x | 64 GB DDR4 3600Mhz | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti | Full Build Info | HomeLab Setup

Thanks for the info wonderful peoples

2 minutes ago, VectorTech said:

Phishing is an attempt to steal information / gain access to a system, not purchasing a similar domain. It's more similar to domain spoofing / lookalike attack.

You are correct, TIL of Typosquatting. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typosquatting

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

You are correct, TIL of Typosquatting. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typosquatting

Typosquatting! Forgot the exact term for it. Lookalike / evil twin are more for WAP than anything else.