Instructions from ArchWiki lead to Blackscreen on boot (AMDGPU)

Hello .. Me again 😇 .. Nayr438 - Soz I didnt reply in the old thread, but TLDR, it gave the same result n my head blew up n I had to leave it for a month 🤭

73820409_WhatsAppImage2021-08f-15aat7_47_18PM.thumb.jpeg.57c58ff2e9a694866689ce53871d3bb5.jpeg

Anyhow on to the current issue... Guess what .. its the same one 😂 ...  Current setup - I5 2500, R9 290, 16Gb RAM, Manjaro KDE installed, Still on 5.9 Kernel due to a time-shift rollback ( I buggered the GRUB just b4 this post with too much desperate tinkering 😬 ) ..

Anyhow .. This time somehow I have "vulkan" working using I assume the updated Radeon drivers, I can get vxcube running and get no errors when I "vulkaninfo" it .. But I cannot get any dx11 Proton games working in steam 😕  ... I can get a few working via wine .. but would prefer to use the amdgpu-pro driver so that I can use Proton to its full abilities for "my GPU".

So AFAIK I have all the required drivers installed and I am back to where I was b4 I messed up the GRUB ... Current installed drivers are -

amdgpu.thumb.png.4cd31719720c19037550d59a542ef9f6.png

My Issue is that when I Follow the Archwiki guide .... Whatever I do """" always"""" ends in a totally blackscreen where I cannot even access the tty2 screen to fix my errors. ... I have made sure >

- Made  sure amdgpu has been set as first module in the Mkinitcpio#MODULES (I only wrote amdgpu in the modules tho?)

- Set module parameters in kernel command line both in the amdgpu.conf & radeon.conf file

- Make sure modconf is in the the HOOKS array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and regenerate the initramfs ( I believe this covers the "Early KMS start" bit too )

- Made sure the "Install the amdgpu-pro-libglAUR. Optionally install the lib32-amdgpu-pro-libglAUR package for 32-bit application support." are installed 

- Even tried the last fix on this site that has the same Issue as me but with 390`s - https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/1222

- And this ...

517235712_WhatsAppImage2021-08-15at7_47_18PM.thumb.jpeg.f6933d2101c185186705dcd7cf75c07d.jpeg

Yet - Everytime I get a blackscreen on boot.

However .. If I edit /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf to

options amdgpu si_support=0 options amdgpu cik_support=1 ... It does allow me to boot with nomodeset & get the tty2, so I can revert it 🥵

1869454318_WhatsAppImage2021-08-15aat7_47_18PM.thumb.jpeg.3253867dc0f8b7258413d96ea9a02d94.jpeg

If I select any other option from any guide I have found .. I get total black screen with "" no chance "" of the TTY2 screen.

I read on another site that 1 dude believed that the GDM was loading b4 the amdgpu driver .. I dont totally understand what hes trying to say re: the fix, so have not tried it yet, but it could be a option as nothing else is working 😞  https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/kx8mam/radeon_loads_fine_cant_get_amdgpu_to_load_on_gcn/https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/kx8mam/radeon_loads_fine_cant_get_amdgpu_to_load_on_gcn/ Here are some random screenshots via my adventures of trying to get the amdgpu driver to boot 1st (Just in case they help) .. But Im at a bit of a loss as what to try next considering I cant use the wiki anymore 😞539805984_vulkanICDloaders.thumb.png.7d649282edda45d0e68f72ba919ad034.png

1646665021_aftergrubchange.thumb.png.fa2d23852317f4097b60f36ba2c40ebc.png18697029_aftergrubchange2.thumb.png.1bf9404d92801c939405a6ed3b688aa2.png786085647_PleasebeAMDGPU.thumb.png.95ac035df7d68cda24cdc47c06381090.png

Screenshot_20210815_084417.thumb.png.8790487ed27ead316de677d39e073e7e.png

Long post but would rather give as much info as poss to fix this issue ... Other people have it working with a "very" similar setup .. So it "should" work on mine too ... But for the life of me .. I cannot 😞

Anyone 😇 🙏

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-15f at 7.47.18 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-08f-15 aat 7.4f7.18 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-08f-f15 aat 7.4f7.18 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021d-08f-15 aat 7.47.18 PM.jpeg

b4 grub change.png

No amdgpu mkinit.png

sudo mkinitcpio -P.png

35 minutes ago, GCandy77 said:

but would prefer to use the amdgpu-pro driver so that I can use Proton to its full abilities for "my GPU".

Then as I have said before, you don't want amdgpu-pro.

DXVK , in Proton, is developed against the default mesa stack. This is also where the community including Valve make changes.

While amdgpu-pro sits on top of the mesa stack, it overrides the default mesa implementations.

amdgpu-pro only exists for compatibility reasons for workstation applications that were built against the Windows Driver Implementation.

amdgpu-pro causes more problems than anything outside of workstation use cases, even in that case you probably only need "opencl-amd" from the AUR.

amdgpu-pro tends to actually perform worse in Gaming Scenarios.

Also your R9 280 isn't listed as a supported Card in the latest amdgpu-pro release https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-linux-21-30

Without amdgpu-pro installed and the instructions below, what happens?

The only instance when you actually need AMDGPU-PRO drivers is if you need to use OpenCL. That's it. For any other use case, an AMDGPU open source driver which ships with the default kernel and needs no setup whatsoever is straight up better.

I'm sorry that you wasted so much time on it...

Hey peeps & thx for answering ..... Just to Clear it up .. I own a 290 .... not a 280 ( that was in the past )

inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290/390] driver: radeon v: kernel  
          Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: loaded: ati,radeon unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz  
          OpenGL: renderer: AMD HAWAII (DRM 2.50.0 5.9.16-1-MANJARO LLVM 12.0.1) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.3.0-devel (git-fce0027d91)

The main reason I am on the amdgpu-pro nutt is because I have already been thru that process when I was using POPos and I couldnt even get vulkan working using the default drivers.

Every time I followed a guide on Pop I always got errors when running vulkaninfo about it not being able to find the correct firmware for the GPU I was using and after a lot of painstaking research found out that it was because apparently only the pro version of the driver will allow you to use amdgpu & opengl 4.6( i think) with the 290 as its a GCN2.0.

But I have not tried this on Manjaro yet .. So will give it a go and report back ... I have to be honest tho, Im not hopeful due to the results I had In pop

Just google  " AMD Hawaii Vulkan steam " n you`ll see loads of post that mention the exact same Issue Im having too ... I swear the 200' range is cursed on linux 😑

Fingers crossed 🤞

1 hour ago, GCandy77 said:

Hey peeps & thx for answering ..... Just to Clear it up .. I own a 290 .... not a 280 ( that was in the past )

inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290/390] driver: radeon v: kernel  
          Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: loaded: ati,radeon unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz  
          OpenGL: renderer: AMD HAWAII (DRM 2.50.0 5.9.16-1-MANJARO LLVM 12.0.1) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.3.0-devel (git-fce0027d91)

The main reason I am on the amdgpu-pro nutt is because I have already been thru that process when I was using POPos and I couldnt even get vulkan working using the default drivers.

Every time I followed a guide on Pop I always got errors when running vulkaninfo about it not being able to find the correct firmware for the GPU I was using and after a lot of painstaking research found out that it was because apparently only the pro version of the driver will allow you to use amdgpu & opengl 4.6( i think) with the 290 as its a GCN2.0.

But I have not tried this on Manjaro yet .. So will give it a go and report back ... I have to be honest tho, Im not hopeful due to the results I had In pop

Just google  " AMD Hawaii Vulkan steam " n you`ll see loads of post that mention the exact same Issue Im having too ... I swear the 200' range is cursed on linux 😑

Fingers crossed 🤞

There really aren't many games that run on opengl even then amdgpu is built vs Ubuntu LTS, it's entirely possible that you're into a compatibility issue since mesa isn't very well known for it's legacy support with opengl

On 8/15/2021 at 9:29 PM, Nayr438 said:

Then as I have said before, you don't want amdgpu-pro.

DXVK , in Proton, is developed against the default mesa stack. This is also where the community including Valve make changes.

While amdgpu-pro sits on top of the mesa stack, it overrides the default mesa implementations.

amdgpu-pro only exists for compatibility reasons for workstation applications that were built against the Windows Driver Implementation.

amdgpu-pro causes more problems than anything outside of workstation use cases, even in that case you probably only need "opencl-amd" from the AUR.

amdgpu-pro tends to actually perform worse in Gaming Scenarios.

Also your R9 280 isn't listed as a supported Card in the latest amdgpu-pro release https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-linux-21-30

Without amdgpu-pro installed and the instructions below, what happens?

Hello ... Back with the results n Im afraid to say it feels that I have gone backwards as I feared 😞

TLDR ... I did everything as suggested but upon boot it black screens with no chance of a TTY2.  If I nomodeset it, I can get TTY2.  From there I only removed the "blacklist radeon" and updated the initfram things 😇  .. I can now boot and see a GUI, but vulkan is not working now & the games in steam that loaded but eventually crashed with DX11 errors - will not even load now.

Long version ....

Before I did anything I tried the new proton update.  There are 2 games in my library that protondb say run fine ... Supraland and Abzu.  For some reason they use a api that afaik only works when using the AMDGPU-pro drivers (or AMDGPU when I was using the 270 & 280)  Sea of thieves is another game that requires this.  But it didnt work ..

1377906407_amdgpu-prouninstalled.thumb.png.7aeffbdc4388a5123ba634d59701e868.png

I removed all the AMDGPU-pro drivers, rebooted and tried again with the default Mesa stack, but same error.

1430848137_newproton.thumb.png.5f71022f262916a41108078f62dbb29c.png

I then went ahead with your suggestion from the other post ..

1265118215_addreponotgoingwell.thumb.png.8f63965b4f6da801697c904c983da256.png

This didn't work .. but then I actually clicked on your link and realized what a donut I was being 😇 .. Next screen shots show the processes

pacmanconf2.thumb.png.3e75e6b15b829b15d76e75771bf4d517.png

Screenshot_20210821_181824.thumb.png.2a217a931e2a64ebb946868b4e45a4fa.png

I did get a few warnings

warning.thumb.png.1c8d670ba5ed749e1030dc85f6088f86.png

I rebooted and got the blackscreen, no option of tty.  rebooted again and nomodeset it, this still booted into a blackscreen, but I could get into the tty2. From here I removed the radeon blacklist, updated the mkiniticpo and rebooted and this is where I am now .. at least I have a desktop.

When I run Vulkaninfo .. I get the same errors that I did with PopOs .. most probably because this GPU is stupid and cursed on linux .. Its the only "complete range" that has massive issue getting something working that other users with different GPUs have no issue with 🙄

Now when I try to load Abzu or Supraland ... Then dont even start now 😞

Tdaaa.thumb.png.2ae552ea655dcd88202dabf9d5eff74b.png

1424526735_doesntevenloadnowxD.thumb.png.26db0a523bc56bd1dce80b2eb57ba8bf.png

577651743_doesntevenloadnow2xD.thumb.png.c3eb694824b53ee7be49997c265e05fb.png

supra.thumb.png.3c161817119bc0d4b0e19a00212bf8e8.png

supra2.thumb.png.20a727206df9b383abb3f7527fd38a05.png

So ... Any suggestions ... Or is it back to the AMDGPU-pro arch wiki again 😞

Screenshot_20210821_181609.png

warning.png

warning.png

For some reason I cannot edit n delete the last 4 randomly added pics either 🤷🏻

7 minutes ago, GCandy77 said:

I rebooted and got the blackscreen, no option of tty.  rebooted again and nomodeset it, this still booted into a blackscreen, but I could get into the tty2. From here I removed the radeon blacklist, updated the mkiniticpo and rebooted and this is where I am now .. at least I have a desktop.

Interesting. I am really not sure then. When you pulled in TKG's packages it would of grabbed anything you would of needed for mesa, both the TKG and Vanilla Arch Kernel both have support enabled as well.

The only thing I can think of is AMDGPU is either not detecting your card or something is borked in the current implementation of AMDGPU for that series. I unfortunately don't have a solution for this as you have followed everything else.

If this is the case, AMDGPU-PRO may actually end up being your only option, one that I wouldn't be able to offer any advice on either.

9 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

And you are sure its not about the secure-boot feature from bios?

I didn't think about that, I am not sure if that affects the driver itself or not. The last time I used a experimental card it was in a legacy system.

I would however think though that if the radeon driver can detect it and load, the more up to date AMDGPU driver should as well.

The main concerning thing is that AMDGPU has been stuck in experimental support for those cards for quite awhile, so I am not entirely sure if they are being maintained.

1 minute ago, Nayr438 said:

I didn't think about that, I am not sure if that affects the driver itself or not. The last time I used a experimental card it was in a legacy system.

I would however think though that if the radeon driver can detect it and load, the more up to date AMDGPU driver should as well.

The main concerning thing is that AMDGPU has been stuck in experimental support for those cards for quite awhile, so I am not entirely sure if they are being maintained.

Usually secure boot and closed drivers will lead into black screen. At least all my black screens within maybe 5 years have been because of that.

9 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Usually secure boot and closed drivers will lead into black screen. At least all my black screens within maybe 5 years have been because of that.

I actually got that mixed up a little bit, I was thinking UEFI vs Legacy BIOS.

I am not sure what the status of Secure Boot surrounding all that is. I also don't think Manjaro uses the signed shim loader to enable support for it, but I could be wrong.

Also AMDGPU (Recent) and radeon (legacy) are both open-source drivers, the proprietary one is AMDGPU-PRO.

9 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

I actually got that mixed up a little bit, I was thinking UEFI vs Legacy BIOS.

I am not sure what the status of Secure Boot surrounding all that is. I also don't think Manjaro uses the signed shim loader to enable support for it, but I could be wrong.

Also AMDGPU (Recent) and radeon (legacy) are both open-source drivers, the proprietary one is AMDGPU-PRO.

Can't say for Manjaro but can confirm that Arch doesn't, SB causes a black screen.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Thx for the replies peeps ... I will take a look into the secure boot (but Im pretty sure its disabled atm anyway) and get back to you.

The thing that gets me is that I have seen posts (loads) with people that have the same GPU as me in arch/manjaro and even Pop that have this working ... but also a hell of a lot of other people that cant ... I do believe that the amdgpu-pro drivers are maintained for this GPU range as I always see updates being released.

Aside from the secure boot thing ..Has anyone else got an other suggestions b4 I revert everything back to how the ArchWiki says so I can get my original error back 😆

Ok .. Well that was a PITA ...

I cannot find anything to do with "secure boot" anywhere within the BIOS ... nada!  It also seems that I am booting in Legacy mode with manjaro & UFEI with windows 10 🤷🏻‍ .. Its been a while since I played with BIOS`s.

The odd thing I did notice tho was that I seem to have 3 boot options when I only have 2 Os`s each installed on their own separate drive?  Im wondering if this could be causing the issue? 

The Highlighted drive below (PM sata3 120gb ssd) is the one that I have Manjaro installed on .. With (what I believe) the Windows 10 boot loader on the other(Has the Kingston label) .. I have such an old system that I have never really seen the benefits in UFEI, so tend to avoid it n stick with Legacy.

However I did notice the 1 boot option that was a UEFI one ... If I select that and set the PCI ROM priority to UFEI compatible ... It doesn't load Win10 properly and only gives me a diag window .. If I set to legacy .. it will boot  ... But should it even be there in the 1st place??

222769926_WhatsAppImage2021-08-22at6_13_35PM.thumb.jpeg.ebcb167e0466a2916b865fc874d9ed8a.jpeg1439958323_WhatsAppImage2021-08-22at6_25_13PM.thumb.jpeg.515806a820b971a734d73ae88366331a.jpeg2069657954_WhatsAppImage2021-08-22at6_28_24PM.thumb.jpeg.c56961d984b596772ff4060ea81fe91e.jpeg

Any thoughts?

Also .. Does anyone know the different between the  "PM" & "SM"  at the start of the hard-drive names .. Does it indicate anything?

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-22 at 6.14.30 PM.jpeg