Is this a good $1000 pc?

Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,
6 minutes ago, Nate K. said:

I just remembered, I need office for a side job of mine. I found it for 150 originally, but just found a copy for 70

Fair enough.

I found some DDR4-3200 CL16 Ripjaws on sale for $73 on Newegg.

You can get the 3300X on Newegg for $150 instead of the 3200G for $140.

Then you can get the B550M Bazooka on Amazon for $110.

That adds up to just $46 in additional costs over your original selection, but it should offer noticeably better performance.

The 3200G is a 4 core, 4 thread part using Zen+ architecture. The 3300X is a 4 core, 8 thread part using Zen 2, which is going to be much faster especially in games.

Getting the Bazooka now will give you PCIe Gen 4 still since the 3300X supports it, and it also gives you a better upgrade path for future Gen 4 SSDs and graphics cards. It's also got a better CPU upgrade path, as that board can handle Ryzen 9 parts as long as you don't overclock them too aggressively, meaning that in the future you could upgrade to a 5900X or 5950X while keeping the same board.

Budget (including currency): $1100 United States Dollar (Not including tax)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, Portal, Stormworks, ect. A small amount of video editing and recording/streaming, along with a light amount of blender.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I have had many cheap (300 through 400 dollar) hp and dell pc's. But I am needing help on some of my parts. I am just wanting something that gives me a pretty decent fps and refresh rate, although my moniters are only 60 and 70 hertz. Storage isn't a big deal, but speed is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 3 3200G Picasso for $140

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super for $250

GIGABYTE B450M DS3H V2 for $77

OLOy DDR4 RAM 16GB (2x8GB) 3000 MHz for $70

Thermaltake S100 Tempered Glass Snow Edition for $70

Corsair 80+ bronze CV550 for $50

Inland Premium 512GB SSD M.2 for $66

2x Cooler Master SickleFlow for $17 Each

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for $12

Silverstone All Black Sleeved 1-3 PWM Fan Splitter for $7

Cooler Master 1-to-3 RGB Splitter Cable for $10

Windows 10 Home for $120

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if i typed something wrong, this is my first post.

The main issue here is the 1660 super for $ 250. Unless I misread something and you already have that card purchased at that price, it will set you back about $500  right now

I would just save until i can get the best Hardware... but i think this pc will be doing good for these games

2 minutes ago, Hyrogenes said:

The main issue here is the 1660 super for $ 250. Unless I misread something and you already have that card purchased at that price, it will set you back about $500  right now

I have a friend who works at the microcenter by my house, and he said he would be able to hold One for me at stock price. Which is 250

2 minutes ago, Geralt Of Nvidia said:

I would just save until i can get the best Hardware... but i think this pc will be doing good for these games

Is there better hardware for the same price? If I am staying with amd for my cpu

I'm only seeing $768 worth of components there, so with those parts you still have a decent amount of room in your budget.

If you're actually able to get a 1660 Super for $250, that's a great deal right now, and you probably won't find a better one.

If you can get that graphics card for that price, I'd upgrade the CPU. If you want to keep the budget low, the 3300X would be much better and not much more expensive. It can be had on Newegg for $150 but it will offer much better performance. Absolutely worth the $10 difference.

If you want to go higher with the CPU, then I'd recommend getting a 3700X or 5600X, both of which can be had for $290. If you go with one of those, though, you'd want to upgrade the motherboard, too.

I'd upgrade the RAM. You'd want at least DDR4-3200 or DDR4-3600 for a Ryzen build. You can check the QVL (qualified vendor list) for the motherboard you select to make sure the RAM is compatible, but these days most RAM works fine with Ryzen, so you'd probably be okay as long as it's not some obscure off-brand stuff.

And I'd upgrade the motherboard if you do upgrade the CPU. A B550 board would last longer and has PCIe Gen 4, which could be important for future upgrades. For budget B550 boards, the MSI B550M Bazooka would be a solid upgrade and should only cost about $20-40 more than the DS3H. It's on sale at Amazon right now for $110.

9 minutes ago, Nate K. said:

I have a friend who works at the microcenter by my house, and he said he would be able to hold One for me at stock price. Which is 250

Wowza thats amazing

3 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

I'm only seeing $768 worth of components there, so with those parts you still have a decent amount of room in your budget.

If you're actually able to get a 1660 Super for $250, that's a great deal right now, and you probably won't find a better one.

If you can get that graphics card for that price, I'd upgrade the CPU. If you want to keep the budget low, the 3300X would be much better and not much more expensive. It can be had on Newegg for $150 but it will offer much better performance. Absolutely worth the $10 difference.

If you want to go higher with the CPU, then I'd recommend getting a 3700X or 5600X, both of which can be had for $290. If you go with one of those, though, you'd want to upgrade the motherboard, too.

I'd upgrade the RAM. You'd want at least DDR4-3200 or DDR4-3600 for a Ryzen build. You can check the QVL (qualified vendor list) for the motherboard you select to make sure the RAM is compatible, but these days most RAM works fine with Ryzen, so you'd probably be okay as long as it's not some obscure off-brand stuff.

And I'd upgrade the motherboard if you do upgrade the CPU. A B550 board would last longer and has PCIe Gen 4, which could be important for future upgrades. For budget B550 boards, the MSI B550M Bazooka would be a solid upgrade and should only cost about $20-40 more than the DS3H. It's on sale at Amazon right now for $110.

Let me check if I missed something, last time I calculated, it was $1036

1 minute ago, Nate K. said:

Let me check if I missed something, last time I calculated, it was $1036

I missed Windows at the bottom, but even that is only $908

6 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

I missed Windows at the bottom, but even that is only $908

I just remembered, I need office for a side job of mine. I found it for 150 originally, but just found a copy for 70. That leaves me with $978. What should I do with the leftover price, and if I don't get office, what do I get then .

6 minutes ago, Nate K. said:

I just remembered, I need office for a side job of mine. I found it for 150 originally, but just found a copy for 70

Fair enough.

I found some DDR4-3200 CL16 Ripjaws on sale for $73 on Newegg.

You can get the 3300X on Newegg for $150 instead of the 3200G for $140.

Then you can get the B550M Bazooka on Amazon for $110.

That adds up to just $46 in additional costs over your original selection, but it should offer noticeably better performance.

The 3200G is a 4 core, 4 thread part using Zen+ architecture. The 3300X is a 4 core, 8 thread part using Zen 2, which is going to be much faster especially in games.

Getting the Bazooka now will give you PCIe Gen 4 still since the 3300X supports it, and it also gives you a better upgrade path for future Gen 4 SSDs and graphics cards. It's also got a better CPU upgrade path, as that board can handle Ryzen 9 parts as long as you don't overclock them too aggressively, meaning that in the future you could upgrade to a 5900X or 5950X while keeping the same board.

You can get a 5600x for like 260 at microcenter so I would go with that. Also you can get a discount on the mobo if you buy it from microcenter as well. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Also the r7 3700x is 200 bucks at microcenter so that is also a good option as well

It's a good option, but I am trying to stay with Nvidia

Just now, Nate K. said:

It's a good option, but I am trying to stay with Nvidia

That's the Ryzen 7 3700X. It's an 8 core CPU. If it really can be had for just $200, that would also be a solid upgrade option. For just $50 more than the 3300X, you're getting double the cores.

18 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

That's the Ryzen 7 3700X. It's an 8 core CPU. If it really can be had for just $200, that would also be a solid upgrade option. For just $50 more than the 3300X, you're getting double the cores.

Ohhhhhhh. I read that as a Radeon GPU. I'm so stupid.

7 minutes ago, Nate K. said:

Ohhhhhhh. I read that as a Radeon GPU. I'm so stupid.

They used to name the Radeon GPUs that way, so it makes sense. The R7 370 is an actual graphics card.

You could probably get better parts(except gpu) for around the same budget. I wouldnt buy anything from your list. Start with a case with good airflow(P400A, P360A, Meshify C) and not one with solid front panel.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

I would be tempted to see if you can get a better CPU.  My uderstanding is Windows 10 is effectivly free.  Ive installed it lots of times without a licence and had no issues.  Others can comment on this.

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

They used to name the Radeon GPUs that way, so it makes sense. The R7 370 is an actual graphics card.

What I thought you meant lol

49 minutes ago, funkytwig said:

I would be tempted to see if you can get a better CPU.  My uderstanding is Windows 10 is effectivly free.  Ive installed it lots of times without a licence and had no issues.  Others can comment on this.

Great idea, although I was thinking that office won't work on an unlicensed version. 

1 hour ago, Ralf said:

You could probably get better parts(except gpu) for around the same budget. I wouldnt buy anything from your list. Start with a case with good airflow(P400A, P360A, Meshify C) and not one with solid front panel.

The top is mesh with a magnetic with a dust filter, and the sides of the front panel has a grate for airflow, right next to the handle. Do you think those won't supply enough airflow?

9 hours ago, Nate K. said:

Great idea, although I was thinking that office won't work on an unlicensed version. 

You could do some resurch, not come across this. Idea use libreoffice anyway. 

23 hours ago, Nate K. said:

The top is mesh with a magnetic with a dust filter, and the sides of the front panel has a grate for airflow, right next to the handle. Do you think those won't supply enough airflow?

I dont know how reliable techpowerup is when it comes to case reviews but they say that the S100 is 10°C hotter(gpu@80) compared to the P500A with mesh front.(GamerNexus from GamersNexus reviews shows P300A, P400A and P500A have similar cooling performance)

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu