vintage alienware pc case

FattyDoveRacing

i was at my local dump recently and found this old alienware system, i brought it back with me. i want to figure out what it is or find some origonal images of it, i have found an advertisment for one form the year 2000 that looks identical to this one but black. if anyone knows what this machenes spesific model or knows of any origonal ads with the purple system i would love to see it, thanks! 

16283751902517096826259842874535.jpg

16283752260901119462852632708263.jpg

2000-Alienware-Grey-Area-51-Aurora-PC-Computers-Print-Ad-Poster-Official.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This style system came out when AMD Athlon came out with the first 1ghz CPU... My parents got me the flagship then.... It was $7000.... Asus VIA kt133 mobo, AMD Athlon 1000mhz (thunderbird) with a Thermaltake Chrome Orb CPU cooler (very unique for the time), Geforce 2 gts ULTRA 64mb AGP, Sound Blaster Live platinum with Live Drive 5" bay io panel, Maxtor hdd, 19" Viewsonic flat face CRT, Klipsch Pro Media 4.1 THX.... For that case style these are the top specs of Aurora (AMD Cpu) and they had the Area-51 which had mostly same components but with Intel cpu...

Back then EVERYONE wanted ether the Alienware or Falcon Northwest... dream machines.

Definitely keep the case, its in good condition, if ya ever need to get rid of it contact me please.

creative-labs-sound-blaster-live-platinum-36494.jpg

chromeorb.jpg

SmartSelect_20210822-181023_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20210822-181330_eBay.jpg

• 6 months later...

Yes! I was looking for this  lol this was my 1st real pc back in the 90's Back then That full-tower case was a Tank,  solid & heavy af when all loaded up. The tray you push-in and it would slowly rise up by itself (not that it was purposely made that way) to hide the cd live wire bays...That little alien logo started the craze of customization - haha 

my friends where like that's so cool brah.. blahh etc...   Thnx for posting so funny to look at now 

I forgot about Falcon pc's  omg if u had one of them u were a boss no question 

So crazy~        

• 1 year later...

the case isnt alien ware spcific. i boutght this case in black 2003 or 2004. i belive it was a kingwin case. but im sure im wrong. 

• 1 month later...

In case anyones wondering what happened. I bought this computer over a year ago and wanted to give an update.

I did a few period correct modifications such as the power supply with silver tube wire covering over it (pulled from a PC from the same era) as well as period correct IDE cables. Also added a dragon on the outer vent that goes over the filter (before it was just a filter). 

It was in fact the 1.2GHz AMD "thunderbird" Athlon variant (making this a Alienware Area 51 Aurora shipped with Windows ME).

Here it is currently with the original motherboard/CPU and a MSI nVidia GeForce4 4200Ti installed running NFS Underground.

Plans are to add some period neon lighting inside and a matching SoundBlaster Audigy 2 bay unit for the sound card currently installed. 

image.jpeg.98568a530dfafc5a43473b6145236925.jpeg353134890_645886203703850_8584896794283235394_n.thumb.jpg.6b8fd938eee100e698efdc662ff9879b.jpg

Looks sweet man!

That monitor.. 👌

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

That's awesome!

Miss my youth...  No, I never had anything that rich, back then I shopped for bargains at computer shows.  I think from that era I picked up a $150 board (ECS with SiS chipset) + 750MHz Duron combo...  A year later I dropped a 1.4GHz Athlon in there, and traded in the Duron, for a few peanuts more.  A new $20 ATX case with a power supply?  Yessir!

These days...  The magic is gone.

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

Not bad. And yeah, definitely make sure you got a period correct power supply. Keep any old one that you swapped out as spare. Apparently, the Duron to Athlon XP gens take a lot of juice from the 5V rail, which is weak on modern power supplies. The magic number for power supplies from that era is 30A or more on the V5 rail.

Is the ventilation in the case sufficient? A lot of cases from that time have pretty bad airflow.

• 4 weeks later...