Horizontal lines on my display at 144hz.

Sid2020

Hi.

My monitor (ASUS VP249 1080p) recently started to show horizontal lines at the bottom of the screen. Could you help me determine what the problem is.

1. I switch the monitor to my wife's PC and the problem is still there.

2. I also tried replacing the cable (from display port to hdmi) hoping that it would solve the problem. at first I thought it worked because it disappeared. but when the pc went to sleep and after it woke, the lines appeared again.

3. I then uninstalled the video drivers through DDU and re-installed the drivers. Still the same. 

4. i then tried reinstalling windows to start fresh. without the drivers it is fine. but when i installed the video drivers, (the old drivers from the gpu website which i know worked without any problem previously), the problem appeared again.

5. i tried to install the monitor drivers which i never needed and never installed previously, still the same.

6. Lastly, i tried lowering the refresh rate from 144hz to 120hz. It disappeared and has not yet re-appeared as of this writing.

What seems to be the problem? Is it the monitor or the GPU? my gpu is gigabyte rx 5600xt by the way.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20210801_095846.thumb.jpg.4b5bc0dac3acc51cb5aec7bf23fe48c4.jpg

3 hours ago, Sid2020 said:

Hi

Has any trauma happend to the display?

It could be just a faulty display. 

24 minutes ago, WillLTT said:

Has any trauma happend to the display?

It could be just a faulty display. 

None that I remember. what more tests can I do so I could indeed be sure that the problem is in the display?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Sid2020 said:

None that I remember. what more tests can I do so I could indeed be sure that the problem is in the display?

Thanks.

Cable disconnected test:

Does the line go away if you disconnect it from the cable? 

Diagnaostic mode test:

Does the display have self diagnaostic mode? If so then run that and see if they lines are still there.

5 hours ago, Sid2020 said:

I switch the monitor to my wife's PC and the problem is still there.

I would think this is solid proof that its either the cable / the display, But yeah i dunno.

-Will

If the problem is present on different PCs, then it's very likely the monitors fault. I'd make a warranty claim (if you are still covered). I'd not try to repair a broken monitor. The replacement panel and time you need is typically not worth it over a new one.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/27/2021 at 11:12 PM, Taufiq Yusri said:

I’ve the same problem. It gone when i change to 120hz

same problem goes with me too. horizontal lines at 144hz below but it's gone whenever I change to 120hz.

is the problem in the gpu or the monitor? because when I switch to my cpu 120hz option the horizontal lines are gone but when I switch to gpu 144hz the horizontal lines are there. tried the 100hz option on the gpu and the horizontal lines are also gone.

• 9 months later...

Same problem. when is in 144z big line appear, it use the space of some more of the space bare, but when i change to 60hz it dissapear

• 7 months later...

Same problem. After a year of buying it, all of a sudden my ASUS VP249QGR started showing those lines at the bottom of the screen. In my case, the lines actually get worse at 60hz or 120hz refresh rate and it's the same with either a DP or HDMI cable. 

It seems to be a problem either with Asus monitors or this model in particular, because it's not normal so many people have this same issue.