All SATA Drives Suddenly "Not Initialized"

Quixotic
Go to solution Solved by Quixotic,
1 hour ago, WintorialsLift said:

Have you tried to plug each of them one by one (i.e. other 3 unplugged, just plug one at a time and on a different SATA port than what it was previously on)?

Do you happen to have a SATA enclosure? Try that if you do.

Not sure what could cause such a thing though 😞

Thanks for the suggestion! Foolishly I didn't try that, but it seems like I didn't have to.

I ran TestDisk and followed some instructions. It found the partitions, and after a restart all I had to do was assign a Drive Letter in Disk Management and the drives returned! I still have no idea what caused the issue, but I suppose if it happens again I have an idea on how to repair it.

Hey LTT Forum, I have an issue I've been spending the last few days on with no progress. Here's my current specs:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X

Mobo: ASUS Prime X570

GPU: Gigabyte 2070 Super

RAM: 64GB 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z

PSU: Corsair CX550M

The system has been running fine since I built it in mid-2020. However, a couple days ago I woke up and found that all of my SATA drives were missing. They still showed up in the BIOS, and I checked Disk Management and saw that all of the drives were there, but come up as "Not Initialized" and Unallocated. My two M.2 drives are working fine.

I thought it was highly unlikely that four SATA drives all conveniently died in the same 8 hour window, so I checked CrystalDiskInfo and all but one of them show "Good" health. I also thought the SATA controller on the motherboard may have died, so I installed a brand new PCI SATA adapter and plugged them all in, but the same thing happens: Not Initialized. I have no idea what could have happened, as all the drives were working fine just days ago, and now none of them are accessible. I did notice a restore point had been created while I was sleeping, but restoring to that point didn't change anything, and I have no idea what program would have initiated it.

I really don't want to initialize and wipe the data from them, as these are my storage drives that have years of files on them.

Any ideas?

2021-08-02 21_37_33-Window.png

2021-08-02 21_40_11-Window.png

Ryzen 9 3900x Corsair H150i ASUS Prime X570 64GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 Gigabyte 2070 Super

2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB WD Caviar Green 120GB Samsung 840 PRO 1.5TB Caviar Green 2TB Seagate Firecuda 512GB TEAM

6 hours ago, Quixotic said:

Hey LTT Forum, I have an issue I've been spending the last few days on with no progress. Here's my current specs:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X

Mobo: ASUS Prime X570

GPU: Gigabyte 2070 Super

RAM: 64GB 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z

PSU: Corsair CX550M

The system has been running fine since I built it in mid-2020. However, a couple days ago I woke up and found that all of my SATA drives were missing. They still showed up in the BIOS, and I checked Disk Management and saw that all of the drives were there, but come up as "Not Initialized" and Unallocated. My two M.2 drives are working fine.

I thought it was highly unlikely that four SATA drives all conveniently died in the same 8 hour window, so I checked CrystalDiskInfo and all but one of them show "Good" health. I also thought the SATA controller on the motherboard may have died, so I installed a brand new PCI SATA adapter and plugged them all in, but the same thing happens: Not Initialized. I have no idea what could have happened, as all the drives were working fine just days ago, and now none of them are accessible. I did notice a restore point had been created while I was sleeping, but restoring to that point didn't change anything, and I have no idea what program would have initiated it.

I really don't want to initialize and wipe the data from them, as these are my storage drives that have years of files on them.

Any ideas?

2021-08-02 21_37_33-Window.png

2021-08-02 21_40_11-Window.png

Have you tried to plug each of them one by one (i.e. other 3 unplugged, just plug one at a time and on a different SATA port than what it was previously on)?

1 hour ago, WintorialsLift said:

Thanks for the suggestion! Foolishly I didn't try that, but it seems like I didn't have to.

I ran TestDisk and followed some instructions. It found the partitions, and after a restart all I had to do was assign a Drive Letter in Disk Management and the drives returned! I still have no idea what caused the issue, but I suppose if it happens again I have an idea on how to repair it.

Ryzen 9 3900x Corsair H150i ASUS Prime X570 64GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 Gigabyte 2070 Super

2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB WD Caviar Green 120GB Samsung 840 PRO 1.5TB Caviar Green 2TB Seagate Firecuda 512GB TEAM