Is it worth it to buy this EVGA psu?

kitnoman
Go to solution Solved by IIIIIIIIII,
44 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

To this day, I'm really not familiar with psu components and the only things I check are price, brand name and efficiency ratings.

This is a bad way. Efficiency doesn't make sense, and each brand has its own bad and good units.

My recommendations are these.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jtm323/corsair-rm-2019-850-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020196-na

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VgQG3C/corsair-rmx-2018-850w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020180-na

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8z7p99/super-flower-leadex-iii-gold-850-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-sf-850f14hg

So I saw this, discount for a 1000w psu for $159.99( $190 including shipping), here's the link EVGA 210-GQ-1000-V1 80+ Gold. Currently on an old 720w and I would probably be upgrade gpu and processor by the end of the year. But I'm already buying other parts and just keeping them, like case, fans, aio and now power supply. My question is, is this a good psu? The only thing I don't like with this psu is the 5yr warranty, as most of the time I see 10yrs warranty for anything that's above 850w.

what is your specs for your pc right now and what are your planned upgrades? 720W should still be more than enough for most people unless you are going really high end

3 minutes ago, TheBean said:

what is your specs for your pc right now and what are your planned upgrades? 720W should still be more than enough for most people unless you are going really high end

Only reason to go over 850w is just for hedt aka cpus like threadripper or a multi gpu setup

17 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

So I saw this, discount for a 1000w psu for $159.99( $190 including shipping), here's the link EVGA 210-GQ-1000-V1 80+ Gold. Currently on an old 720w and I would probably be upgrade gpu and processor by the end of the year. But I'm already buying other parts and just keeping them, like case, fans, aio and now power supply. My question is, is this a good psu? The only thing I don't like with this psu is the 5yr warranty, as most of the time I see 10yrs warranty for anything that's above 850w.

You will need a better device than GQ. If you're not upgrading to the RTX4000 gen, 850-1000W should suffice.

The EVGA GQ series is made by FSP and uses their Active Clamp Reset Forward topology. ACRF is a cheaper way to achieve better efficiency, but sacrifices the superior ripple and voltage regulation that you get from half/full bridge with LLC resonant converter. Overall the EVGA GQ is decent and it's definitely not a firecracker, but there are better PSUs available in that price range. The new G6 seems very promising, RMx, RM, Leadex, Prime, Focus, etc should all be available around that $200 mark. $190 w/ shipping the 1000W GQ isn't really a hot deal. If it was $150-$160 including delivery it might be but the high delivery cost puts it in the price range of better PSUs and makes it not worth it in my opinion.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

42 minutes ago, TheBean said:

Yes, for my current setup, 720w is really more than enough. I'm not using all the parts that I've already bought for my next build. But I'm eyeing i9 10th gen or ryzen 7 5800x as both price are almost the same in my country. As for the GPU, I haven't decided yet honestly, probably the highest my budget can get by the end of the year. 3070 ti level or higher.

31 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The EVGA GQ series is made by FSP and uses their Active Clamp Reset Forward topology. ACRF is a cheaper way to achieve better efficiency, but sacrifices the superior ripple and voltage regulation that you get from half/full bridge with LLC resonant converter. Overall the EVGA GQ is decent and it's definitely not a firecracker, but there are better PSUs available in that price range. The new G6 seems very promising, RMx, RM, Leadex, Prime, Focus, etc should all be available around that $200 mark. $190 w/ shipping the 1000W GQ isn't really a hot deal. If it was $150-$160 including delivery it might be but the high delivery cost puts it in the price range of better PSUs and makes it not worth it in my opinion.

To be honest with you, I got dizzy a bit reading that. But I understood the gist of it. Currently if I buy 1000w psu locally, it would be around $300-400 when converted. While I need to buy less than $200 if it's coming from overseas, like amazon or newegg. We are actually not tax for any order below $200, but the moment we exceed that, our customs would charge us minimum of $100 tax. Just for an example a psu that cost $195+$30 shipping would just be $225. But if I order a psu that over that, it would like, $200+$30shipping+$100 tax=$330.  So my options is actually limited, if I want to save $100, which is actually my reason for buying online rather than local. So with your advice, I might look for something else! Thanks.

image.png.59f00573c97c1f406a506791bea9bcff.png

5 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

To be honest with you, I got dizzy a bit reading that. But I understood the gist of it. Currently if I buy 1000w psu locally, it would be around $300-400 when converted. While I need to buy less than $200 if it's coming from overseas, like amazon or newegg. We are actually not tax for any order below $200, but the moment we exceed that, our customs would charge us minimum of $100 tax. Just for an example a psu that cost $195+$30 shipping would just be $225. But if I order a psu that over that, it would like, $200+$30shipping+$100 tax=$330.  So my options is actually limited, if I want to save $100, which is actually my reason for buying online rather than local. So with your advice, I might look for something else! Thanks.

Ah, I understand. I was wondering why shipping cost was so high but if you're in another country that could explain it. 

7 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

But I'm eyeing i9 10th gen or ryzen 7 5800x as both price are almost the same in my country. As for the GPU, I haven't decided yet honestly, probably the highest my budget can get by the end of the year. 3070 ti level or higher.

You would be fine with a 750w or 850w PSU. There's usually a pretty significant increase in price from 850w model to the 1000w models. You might have more options for 750/850w power supplies that are under the $200 import tax threshold.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Ah, I understand. I was wondering why shipping cost was so high but if you're in another country that could explain it. 

You would be fine with a 750w or 850w PSU. There's usually a pretty significant increase in price from 850w model to the 1000w models. You might have more options for 750/850w power supplies that are under the $200 import tax threshold.

That's probably a more reasonable approach. Normally, I actually keep cpu a minimum of 5yrs before upgrading, While for gpu, around 3yrs, if the newer gpu has a good uplift. So my only reasoning to get a 1000w is that if ever the next two generation of gpus would adapt the rumored dual chiplets design, I would at least be ready. But yes, I'm actually seeing  great options for 850w psus. By the way, between Seasonic FOCUS PX-850w 80+ Platinum Full-Modular vs  EVGA 210-GQ-1000-V1 80+ Gold as both are the same price, which one would you choose? or do you have a better and cheaper 850w 80+gold recommendation? To this day, I'm really not familiar with psu components and the only things I check are price, brand name and efficiency ratings.

44 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

To this day, I'm really not familiar with psu components and the only things I check are price, brand name and efficiency ratings.

This is a bad way. Efficiency doesn't make sense, and each brand has its own bad and good units.

My recommendations are these.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jtm323/corsair-rm-2019-850-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020196-na

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VgQG3C/corsair-rmx-2018-850w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020180-na

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8z7p99/super-flower-leadex-iii-gold-850-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-sf-850f14hg