psu extream heat

TheRonen

Hello guys

I have a problem that my power supply heats up very much with minimal load, this is not a heat which can cause a burn but a heat at a fairly high level but not dangerous

I wanted to know if the problem is with my power supply so I took another power supply from the same model and the problem happened again, I tried a third power supply from another computer where the problem does not exist and put it on my computer but the problem happened again. I connected the three power supplies to another computer and there the problem does not exist, could there be a situation where there is a load on the power point where the computer is sitting and so it happens ? Or is there some other problem?

Note that the computer is connected to an extension cord that is connected to an extension cord due to the fact that there are three computers in the room but one power point

psu models :
Gigabyte P850GM X2 Brand new
Gigaybte P750GM Brand new

thanks in advance !

Main PC :

CPU : i9 10900K || RAM : 64GB || GPU : RTX 3090

Workstation PC :

CPU : i5 10400F || RAM : 48GB || GPU : RTX 2060Super

SFX PC :

CPU : i5 9400F || RAM : 16GB || GPU : RTX 2080Super

power supplies do heat up when used, and your computer is not "lightweight"

A 10900K + a 2080S is a hefty load, so...  yeah.  

You say "Minimal Load" what do you define as minimal?

15 minutes ago, TheRonen said:

Hello guys

I have a problem that my power supply heats up very much with minimal load, this is not a heat which can cause a burn but a heat at a fairly high level but not dangerous

I wanted to know if the problem is with my power supply so I took another power supply from the same model and the problem happened again, I tried a third power supply from another computer where the problem does not exist and put it on my computer but the problem happened again. I connected the three power supplies to another computer and there the problem does not exist, could there be a situation where there is a load on the power point where the computer is sitting and so it happens ? Or is there some other problem?

Note that the computer is connected to an extension cord that is connected to an extension cord due to the fact that there are three computers in the room but one power point

psu models :
Gigabyte P850GM X2 Brand new
Gigaybte P750GM Brand new

thanks in advance !

First off-don’t string extension cords together, that’s a fire waiting to happen if those extensions can’t handle the load  properly

As for the rest, I’m not sure what the problem is? The 

BIOS could be set to auto draw more power than strictly necessary which could explain the heat output but wouldn’t signify any defect in your system

41 minutes ago, tkitch said:

power supplies do heat up when used, and your computer is not "lightweight"

A 10900K + a 2080S is a hefty load, so...  yeah.  

You say "Minimal Load" what do you define as minimal?

web browsing and idle (windows desktop)

29 minutes ago, 0591ryan said:

First off-don’t string extension cords together, that’s a fire waiting to happen if those extensions can’t handle the load  properly

As for the rest, I’m not sure what the problem is? The 

BIOS could be set to auto draw more power than strictly necessary which could explain the heat output but wouldn’t signify any defect in your system

You're right about the extension cords, I'll find a solution to that

Is there a way to fix this setting in a gigabyte Z590 BIOS?

Main PC :

Workstation PC :

SFX PC :

1 minute ago, TheRonen said:

web browsing and idle (windows desktop)

You're right about the extension cords, I'll find a solution to that

Is there a way to fix this setting in a gigabyte Z590 BIOS?

Well, yes but I don’t know where it is or if it’s even a problem, I know it exists simply because I watch crap tons of videos from GN and they mentioned it in a video somewhere

my advice is to set the BIOS to power saving if you can and see what happens

It may not be an issue at all-I really don’t think you have a problem with your PC

First, that PSU is problematic, i guess if your samples work then maybe you've just got fixed revisions but if i were you and if they're still within return period i'd get something else.

Second, it is possible that your PC is infected with a miner malware. Run HWiNFO64 and see what's the CPU and GPU utilization.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

17 hours ago, Juular said:

First, that PSU is problematic, i guess if your samples work then maybe you've just got fixed revisions but if i were you and if they're still within return period i'd get something else.

Second, it is possible that your PC is infected with a miner malware. Run HWiNFO64 and see what's the CPU and GPU utilization.

tried that, nothing

17 hours ago, 0591ryan said:

Well, yes but I don’t know where it is or if it’s even a problem, I know it exists simply because I watch crap tons of videos from GN and they mentioned it in a video somewhere

my advice is to set the BIOS to power saving if you can and see what happens

It may not be an issue at all-I really don’t think you have a problem with your PC

i dont think thats the problem either, i discconected everything and its still blazing hot

Main PC :

Workstation PC :

SFX PC :

3 minutes ago, TheRonen said:

tried that, nothing

i dont think thats the problem either, i discconected everything and its still blazing hot

5 minutes ago, TheRonen said:

tried that, nothing

I really don’t know what else it could be then-if it’s practically burning up with heat just from booting into windows there is clearly a problem-especially if everything else is managing to keep cool

The only thing left I would suggest trying is booting it directly from the wall outlet and skipping the extension cords

im completely out of ideas and the forum seems to have covered everything 

8 minutes ago, 0591ryan said:

I really don’t know what else it could be then-if it’s practically burning up with heat just from booting into windows there is clearly a problem-especially if everything else is managing to keep cool

The only thing left I would suggest trying is booting it directly from the wall outlet and skipping the extension cords

im completely out of ideas and the forum seems to have covered everything 

i know, it's so frustrating,

ill try pluging the pc directly to the wall and see what happends

Main PC :

Workstation PC :

SFX PC :

After a week I realized which component causes heating power supply, the 2080s

I have with this video card a problem of overheating and it would have somehow affected the power supply, I replaced the card and the problem disappeared

Main PC :

Workstation PC :

SFX PC :