Windows 10 automatic updates disabled by organization despite it being a personal system

Curdmanthedude

Hello all,

I was going to update Windows today, per usual, and I noticed that my organization (of which there is none) disabled automatic updates. I am very proactive with my system security and whatnot, so this is very concerning news, as it looks as if its a form of Malware, as I have not touched any settings relating to system updates. I have attatched screenshots, what do you all think it is? Should I wipe my system? I am currently running an Avast virus scan as I write this, so I genuinely hope I dont have to wipe this system.

Thank you all!

Screenshot 2021-07-27 183643.png

Screenshot 2021-07-27 183632.png

Right click start > Run > gpedit.msc

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

Change any setting which is enabled or disabled to Not configured

Reboot

If there's nothing configured there, have you ever signed in with an MS account from work or school on that PC? If so, you'll need to remove the account from the PC. 

Ive never signed in with a work or school account, I have actively avoided doing so fearing this would happen.

Make sure to quote people so we get notifications, with this button:
image.png.284e6deda6e64a9ca9d549f3e4c528e2.png

It inserts a user's post into your post as a quote too, so you can separate it out and respond to separate sections, like this (ignore my responses, they're intended as examples):

55 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Right click start > Run > gpedit.msc

It says "Windows cannot find the file specified".

56 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

It says "Your computer is up to date."

Again, don't pay attention to what they're saying, I'm putting them as an example.

elephants

30 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Make sure to quote people so we get notifications, with this button:
image.png.284e6deda6e64a9ca9d549f3e4c528e2.png

It inserts a user's post into your post as a quote too, so you can separate it out and respond to separate sections, like this (ignore my responses, they're intended as examples):

It says "Windows cannot find the file specified".

It says "Your computer is up to date."

Again, don't pay attention to what they're saying, I'm putting them as an example.

Thanks for the advice! Im not terribly used to forums such as this, even after so many years, so im doing this now.

I tried the method you laid out to no avail. Are there any other methods, or should I wipe? Im still suspicious of this being malware, if of course this isnt a widespead Win 10 bug :/

3 minutes ago, Emperor_Crimson said:

Thanks for the advice! Im not terribly used to forums such as this, even after so many years, so im doing this now.

I tried the method you laid out to no avail. Are there any other methods, or should I wipe? Im still suspicious of this being malware, if of course this isnt a widespead Win 10 bug 😕

It can also be due to activating Windows via KMS, which is fairly common for keys bought from marketplaces as opposed to Microsoft direct or official retailers, so if you bought one of those keys, that could be it. 

Various applications can do this too, so if you've installed anything recently, go through and uninstall them in order to see if it goes away. There are registry settings that will show up as being applied through GPO even if they were changed manually or by something else. 

-> Moved to Windows

If you have bought grey market key and activated with KMS, we cannot help you. Using KMS in personal system is counted as piracy and as such against our rules. If you have such licence issues, contact those from whom you bought the licence from.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, Emperor_Crimson said:

Ive never signed in with a work or school account, I have actively avoided doing so fearing this would happen.

Could also happen if you used Shutup10/Windows10Debloater. I believe those both have options to disable Windows Update.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1