Newbie - Setting up a VM to use idling gaming PC for Archviz rendering?

My brother has a gaming pc that he built before he recently started working a lot more, that just largely idles (800 miles away). I normally work on a laptop, but occasionally do some some Archviz rendering so we had discussed the potential of using his idling PC with a RTX 2080 Super to do some of my rendering.

I like the idea of setting up a VM that I could potentially remote into as needed without affecting his usage of the machine.

The main questions I have.

1.) Is there a way to use dynamic resource allocation so that my VM was not artificially limited when the PC wasn't being used on his end?

2.) Can it be setup so that my VM is a second class citizen so that when he is using his machine that my VM doesn't get priority resource allocation?

3.) Do I need a different type of VM software for something like this than say VirtualBox?

FWIW - I understand the concept of VMs and I have used AWS spot instances for various projects, but I have never had to actually setup shared resource allocation for one.

1. You can set priority of the program the vm is using is your best option, but I don't know of any software that will change vm resources on the fly for cpu. You can also limit cores.

2. Virtual box should work fine, but give hyper-v a shot, its also included with windows.

Probalby can't share gpu power, or its gonna be a pain to use the GPU power.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:43 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

1. You can set priority of the program the vm is using is your best option, but I don't know of any software that will change vm resources on the fly for cpu. You can also limit cores.

2. Virtual box should work fine, but give hyper-v a shot, its also included with windows.

Probalby can't share gpu power, or its gonna be a pain to use the GPU power.

Thanks for the clarification.